pyrotech

Finally got to freefall this weekend

I'm doing S/L training, and this weekend I was cleared for freefall. I did jumps 4 - 6 on Saturday; #4 was a PRCP, and #5 and 6 were freefall. #5 was supposed to be 3 seconds of freefall, but from watching the GoPro footage from my instructor filming my jump, I must have counted to 3 REALLY fast, because it looked like I pulled almost immediately. The main objective was to pull my pilot chute though, so that was good.

Jump 6 was supposed to be 5 seconds of freefall. I didn't get to see footage of my jump (the instructor forgot to turn the GoPro on before hitting the shutter), but something was off on my arch. I did some sort of backflip and was going head-down for a second, then I became disoriented, and simply tried to arch back into a stable position. That didn't seem to work out for me, so I just waited until I saw ground and pulled.

That jump taught me that while my arch is great on the ground, it sucks during freefall. I don't want to get in tunnel time this early in my training, and would rather give jumping a few more times before I do that to see if I can get myself stable in the air. I don't know if I'm just subconsciously freaking out when I let go of the plane, but I never really get a sense of nervousness or fear when I leave the aircraft; it's more as though I can think about what I need to do, just cannot get my body to do it properly.

On a better note, my 3 jumps on Saturday were the first 3 where I landed on my feet without falling! Hahaha.

In your training program do you get to free fall with just 1 PRCP?

What kind of plane is it and what kind of an exit is it? Do you hang on a strut or do you do some sort of poised exit?

I went through S/L and my 3rd free fall ( 8 sec ) was a total failure for one simple reason. As I was hanging on the strut I didn't pay any attention to my legs (which were completely bent) and as soon as I let go of the strut I did a back flip and went into a spin. The next jump I paid attention to my legs and it went fine.

I'd say you should jump more. Even thought the tunnel is very efficient in training how to fly in freefall it isn't going to help you to learn how to exit an aircraft and how to deal with mental side of doing that. The only way you're going to learn how to deal with nervousness and fear is by jumping more.
Your rights end where my feelings begin.

Sorry, I realize that I never saw your response nor answered your questions.

I started on Jump 2 PRCP'ing. It went like this:

Jump 2 - first PRCP, mised twice before main opened
Jump 3 - successful PRCP
Jump 4 - successful PRCP, cleared for freefall
Jump 5 - first freefall

Had to successfully PRCP twice before freefall.
We're flying a Cesna 206, and hang on the strut as a student.

Did a few more jumps last weekend. Having 10 seconds of freefall (the next step after 5) was much easier to get stable and maintain posture. I focused all of my attention on keeping my legs arched and body stable. I did a few unintentional 360s, but was able to stop and get stable before deployment. Pulled a little low, at about 3800 ft (supposed to be 4000). My second 10-second freefall I was able to stay stable with no turns, and pulled right at 4k.

I also did a 15-second freefall, with the intention of doing a 360 to the right, and one to the left. I did one to the right, got stable, tried to go to the left, but turned my body awkwardly and started barrel rolling. Was able to stop it and get stable, but by that time it was almost pull time, so no left 360. My next jump will be another 15-second with an attempt to get a 360 to the right, and one to the left.

Hey man it's Jarryd, don't get too caught up with these forums, you're much better off asking someone at the dz to explain something or to help you with something.

Right on man. I come here to waste time at work while code is compiling. Between this site and reddit, it makes it seem more like I'm working than blatantly staring out the window twiddling thumbs.

That said, I listen to you guys first and foremost.