tmarine253

First Picture in Parachutist

You know you owe beer for that, right?
Share it with the people on your jump and with your mentors.
No need to feed the beer hounds.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

That is my hand pulling my friends chest strap out as soon as we exited.

Did you accidentally pull it all the way out of the buckle so that it was no longer secured? And if so, did the other jumper not have it threaded properly to start with? What was his response at that point?

She just didn't route her chest strap properly. I didnt realize it and when we exited it came all the way out. She tried to fix it for most of her jump and couldnt do it. She grabbed her right shoulder strap with her left arm to make sure she didn't fall out, and deployed. Landed safely.

She just didn't route her chest strap properly. I didnt realize it and when we exited it came all the way out. She tried to fix it for most of her jump and couldnt do it. She grabbed her right shoulder strap with her left arm to make sure she didn't fall out, and deployed. Landed safely.

and then changed her underware
I am fucking your mom right now

and then changed her underware

No kidding...I just did and I only read about it

Holy crap. That is insane. Did she stay belly to earth to try or flip over and back fly? I think I would try to back fly to maybe make it easier to fumble with the chest strap. Not sure if in reality it would help much or at all but just seems like it would make it a little easier.

That would be the biggest death grip ever made by her left hand on her harness.

what was her level of experience btw?

At the time maybe 50-60 jumps. Her and I have about 90 some jumps each now, the photographer has about 400 and the other guy who I dont even really know I think has like 2000. She just made an honest mistake but I blame myself more for not noticing some shit like that.

She just made an honest mistake but I blame myself more for not noticing some shit like that.

For sure, always check your gear before and after boarding. And that of others as well. Lives have been saved by watchful eyes.

You probably saved her life with that chest strap pull, however. I mean, if you hadn't she may have gone the entire jump not knowing it was routed incorrectly and fallen out on opening. It's happened more than once with very experienced skydivers. :|

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?do=search_results&search_forum=forum_14&search_string=chest+strap&search_type=AND&search_fields=sb&search_time=&search_user_username=&sb=score&mh=25

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

Having started "back in the day" when many rigs had belly-bands, every time I hear about shit like this, I get the urge to renew my rant over how the common configuration of modern gear makes life and death potentially dependent upon a single mis-routed chest strap.

OK, that's it.

I know how important chest straps are and routing them correctly is never to be taken lightly. I also know a number of people who have accidentally not cinched them correctly. In previous days, when altimeters were located there, they found out about a mis-routed chest strap when they looked for their altimeter and it was not there.

I think that body position on opening and a correctly fitted container are more important. I'm embarrassed to say that I know from first hand experience and a slightly used 20+ year old altimeter is somewhere in the swamp near the Z-Hills DZ.
Dano

so i'm the one who misrouted the chest strap...very embarrassing reason to be in parachutist for the first time, but on the bright side i'm alive and hope this helps everyone become aware of how serious gear checks are. I honestly checked my chest strap in the plane too. (remember tugging on the strap to make sure its tight is not a proper check bc that's what i did and obviously it was not right). I tried both back and belly fly to route the chest strap only after going into a sit fly which is where I initially realized something was not right when my rig was slipping down to my elbows!:|
scary shit definitely. I could not see where I needed to route my chest strap due to my helmet constricting my sight and relying on touch in freefall does not work (at least this time it didn't). So I took a deep breath once I was at 2,000 ft. realized I had no other choice, reached across my body and held on with dear life to my right shoulder strap with my left hand. I was in a Pendulum pretty well for the initial deployment but then just stayed calm to land...it was only once I started to pack my chute I started realizing the gravity of what had just happened.
so gear check please...also I recommend not talking to others while putting on gear..bc I think that's what I was doing causing me not to have full attention on something that requires it. complacency kills people...GEAR CHECK!!

I know it sounds simplistic and obvious but I make it a point after I have put my rig on to look at my chest strap while I am fastening it and to be very conscious that it is routed correctly. I make it a point to focus for that brief period of time so there is no doubt. I also check it about a half a dozen more times before I jump along with my handles just to be certain. I am very glad that you were able to open and land safely.

"I am diagonally parked in a parallel universe."

For all the young jumpers out there...

Lessons learned from this event. I hope:
- Check the routing of your chest strap.
- Give yourself and honest evaluation on your preparedness for sit flying
- Check the visibility factor of a helmet before you buy one.
(If you can't see your chest strap, you probably can't see your handles either...think about that. If you can't see your handles, you'd better have an easily-workable plan for finding them while in a violent mal.)
- Help prepare yourself for sit flying by first learning to back fly.
- If you have your arms behind you while sit flying to the point that your shoulder harnesses will come off your arms, you're not in a proper sit fly position. Get coaching
- Tell your friends to do a better job of looking out for others.
- Always get a competent 3-party gear check before getting on the plane AND before exit.
- Do yourself a favor and think safety first, then fun.
- ...and more

I now return you to your regular programming...
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

(If you can't see your chest strap, you probably can't see your handles either...think about that. If you can't see your handles, you'd better have an easily-workable plan for finding them while in a violent mal.)
- If you have your arms behind you while sit flying to the point that your shoulder harnesses will come off your arms, you're not in a proper sit fly position. Get coaching
- Always get a competent 3-party gear check before getting on the plane AND before exit.
- ...and more

Experience is a difficult teacher, she gives you the test first and the lesson afterward

- ...and more

Wise words, Pops.

It does no harm to have a quick glance at everyone else's gear as you wait to board. It can be done hands-off without them even knowing and could save a life.