diablopilot

You learn something new everyday.

So I had a skydiving instructor tell me today that before deployment he turns into the wind because it makes his canopy open more consistently.

He was speaking about changing his heading to face into the upper winds. Not for reasons of spot, but just for quality of opening.

Really? Who's selling this stuff?
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

So I had a skydiving instructor tell me today that before deployment he turns into the wind because it makes his canopy open more consistently.

He was speaking about changing his heading to face into the upper winds. Not for reasons of spot, but just for quality of opening.

Just because YOU didn't know about it makes it wrong... :|

:D:D:D
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

This is an example as to why canopy flight is broken in our sport. It is also an example as to why just because someone is an instructor and has a copy of the SIM why that doesn't make them qualified to teach a canopy course!
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I guess it's related to the same misconception that makes (sometimes very experienced) talk about the 'wind hitting the topskin' thing.
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

I hope he's not doing that on big-way RW loads...

Must be the same guy I talked to, a jump pilot who insisted that his climb rate was better when going upwind. The DZO agreed with him.

I hope that plane doesn't stall on a downwind run.

Well, climb angle will be better on an upwind climb. That could be a concern if there are noise abatement areas or restricted airspace nearby.

- Dan G

Over the right parts of certain terrain features (which aren't always obvious from the ground), facing upwind or downwind can definitely influence a sustained climb rate. Think of it as surfing a standing wave in a river versus running with the current.

Lance

I picture a team of people in biohazard suits storming the dropzone, quarantining it, and not letting anyone leave until they've been checked with fancy noise-making electronic equipment and they've been decontaminated if they've had this taught to them.

Over the right parts of certain terrain features (which aren't always obvious from the ground), facing upwind or downwind can definitely influence a sustained climb rate. Think of it as surfing a standing wave in a river versus running with the current.

In which case the direction you are facing still has ZERO direct influence on the climb rate??!

One's location in a region of wave lift or other form of lift obviously will change ones climb rate, and one may choose different headings to fly to or stay in the areas of best lift, which may or may not stay still in relation to the ground.

But the heading itself still has zero influence on climb rate.

(Nor are we here talking about dynamic maneuvering, or dynamic soaring, taking advantages of inertia and shear layers. That's a separate conversation.)

Please re-read what I wrote: sustained climb rate. You're saying the same thing with different words, and seem to be focused on instantaneous climb rate for some reason.

dynamic maneuvering, or dynamic soaring, taking advantages of inertia and shear layers

Exactly how are these excluded from the conversation? Lots of pilots do these all the time in the course of a normal flight, even though they might not call it the same thing you do or even consciously realize they're doing them.

If you don't, maybe you're just doing it wrong? :)
Lance

I'm just saying the direction one is facing relative to the wind isn't the deciding factor.

If it keeps you in the right spot for lift, OK, but the points made earlier in the thread still apply, that facing into or out of the wind wasn't going to change the climb rate.

You might as well argue that walking backwards can make your heart stop. Um, I'd say, that's wrong. Yes it does, someone says, your heart will stop if there's a cliff behind you and you walk off it. I'm saying, that's not the point, and not a consequence only of walking backwards in normal conditions.

At least we are probably arguing only about how ideas are presented, not the physics of it. I think.

Must be the same guy I talked to, a jump pilot who insisted that his climb rate was better when going upwind. The DZO agreed with him.

I hope that plane doesn't stall on a downwind run.

Well, climb angle will be better on an upwind climb. That could be a concern if there are noise abatement areas or restricted airspace nearby.

and it's likely true at the moment of lift off and through the ground effect too.....

I think it's pretty neat how many skydivers can't seem to differentiate in their heads the difference between how the breeze works between when they are not touching the ground (moving within an airmass) and when they are touching the ground (anchored).

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

that's silly, the headwind will close the nose of the canopy off.........:P:P:P:P

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Honest noob question here.

Is the person suggesting the reason they get a better opening is because wind into the nose inflates the canopy much more stably than wind into the tail.

That seems reasonable to me.

Not trolling here, but why is that not true?

The answer is found in post #19, Grasshopper.

Climb rate has nothing to do with horizontal speed over the ground or horizontal airspeed, only vertical speed over time. If the aircraft is in a wave it will climb eqally well in any direction. Your analogy in the river is based on horizontal movement over the ground.
Sometimes you eat the bear..............