Tomex

If you think Cypres is better than Argus or any other AAD... Think again.

I can also remember a very talented skydiver predicting that one day AAD's would cause more incidents than they helped.

I think we're approaching that day.

This could be the stupidest thing I have ever read.

TO THE ORIGINAL POSTER:

Rig manufactures have made the decision to ban the Argus because of a crappy cutter than can cause huge problems in the right situation. Are you really that upset?

Let me ask you a question that I sincerely hope you will answer honestly. Suppose you choose to jump an AAD. You have a brand new Argus and a brand new CYPRES sitting on the table and you can choose 1, what would it be given all the factual data? I think its pretty obvious.

TO THE ORIGINAL POSTER:

Let me ask you a question that I sincerely hope you will answer honestly. Suppose you choose to jump an AAD. You have a brand new Argus and a brand new CYPRES sitting on the table and you can choose 1, what would it be given all the factual data? I think its pretty obvious.

I think the OP would still choose the "other" one based on his proclivity to attribute all of those 34 incidents listed in the rubbish document to the Airtech models.
:S:S
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Can I jump at his DZ anytime soon?

You would be more than welcome.
As crazy as it sounds, Tomex would be, too.
I'd even pay for his Cypres installation if it would get him to adhere to the manufacturer's recommendations.

This is pure and simply a political witch hunt. A great product is being attacked by a group of hacks that have everything to gain from taking out Argus. Atlas is shrugging within the skydiving community.

Well, to be fair, the attack is really on cutters that do not do the job and AADs that activate at inopportune times. It could be any brand name. Argus has more recent history, that's all. A thread could be started about every individual make and model...this one is about Argus vs Cypres.

The OPs document is rubbish for obvious reasons...as has already been pointed out.

In fact, Cypres appears to be responsible for a number of fatalities (For exact number, please see link: http://viewer.zoho.com/docs/c6UCg). Please correct me if I am wrong, but it might be more fatalities than Argus and Vigil combined.

Well, yes. You are wrong in that you claim an AAD (any AAD) is responsible for all 34 of those incidents listed.
Hence, the rubbish call. Surely you see that don't you?

Are you going to continue to defend the indefensible?

>A reserve is a back up device so (regulations aside) should people quit jumping
>unless they are prepared to jump a single parachute system?

If you are so worried about your main parachute opening that you are thinking "man, I'm glad I have a reserve" - then you may want to reconsider making that jump until you fix the problems with your main.

>Do you tell this to FJC students?

?? FJC students are jumping with mains, reserves, AAD's, RSL's, altimeters, radios - they're loaded down with safety gear. That's because they are students.

That has GOT to be the stupidest document EVER written!
Even The National Inquirer could not come up with something so twistedly stupid.

But it's on the internet so it must be true!:S

j
Be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

That has GOT to be the stupidest document EVER written!
Even The National Inquirer could not come up with something so twistedly stupid.

But it's on the internet so it must be true!:S

j

I humbly stand corrected.
:D:D

In my six years i've only seen one legit aad save. Rest were all fired due to stupidity.
I have no aad so therefore im picky on what type of skydive that i do.
I also think that going in is not that bad of an option, we all die sometime. When i see an old couple walking around the park that seemes horrifying to me.
I hope i die before 55.
Bernie Sanders for President 2016

Hi Jim,

Let me fix that for you:

Yeah right...say that when you're 54 and looking at some good looking 45 yr old woman. :P

JerryBaumchen

One of the few advantages of getting older is that there are more good looking women around :-)
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -- Albert Einstein

Just curious, and off topic...
Do you own an Argus?

He has one listed in his profile.

Matt

I guess I'd be pissed off too.[:/]

The truth comes out. :-)

Does anyone else find it funny that we made a SPORT out of an EMERGENCY PROCEDURE?!?!

yeah again. stupidity.
may not knew how stupid you were but still
throw the damn thing away or keep it in the boc.
same thing with drogue.

they were all preventable.

my version of real cypress save is when you get knocked out and can not do anything else on your own will power.

you could've let go of pc in time,
you could've have cut away system on your helmet,
you could've have plastic screws.
you could've pull reserve in time
Bernie Sanders for President 2016

getting knocked out is preventable too

I think you're just resorting to polemics, Nicholas. I strongly disagree with you that being knocked out in-air is preventable. Sandy and Tommy are the best examples of this.

And there are other incapacitating events which could result in an AAD fire: heart attack, stroke, joint or limb injury are examples.

But these are not necessarily preventable issues.

We manage risks and prepare ourselves but I suppose the only thing that is 100% preventable is the jump. :S
"Even in a world where perfection is unattainable, there's still a difference between excellence and mediocrity." Gary73

Sooo... I want to buy an AAD for my rig. I wingsuit, track, test jump experimental canopies (high pull), and "swoop". Occasionally I freefall and IAD instruct, But it has been a while.

I was planning on buying a standard CYPRES is there something better?