blue24

Do you tip your packer?

Hell yes I tip her! When I use a packer it is usually because I am working, or on some other tight schedule such as team training or competition. As such, my tip is mostly in appreciation for her having my gear ready when I need it. That is no small task and is well worth the tip.  I also jump a big canopy and the tip is partially for the extra effort that my canopy entails. 

However, I bet she would say that that my tips are not as important as my effort to be very clear about when I need my rig ("I am on a 20 minute call" OR "we are breaking for lunch...no hurry on my rig") and my appreciation of her work. I thank her almost every time I pick up my rig and thank her for my opening when I bring the rig back most of the time. 

The price of a pack job at our DZ is $6.  I tip an additional dollar per pack job. 
The choices we make have consequences, for us & for others!

Do you tip your packer, and how much do you tip; or do you say thanks in some other way?

Packing is absolutely a 'service' industry, and often times the level of service you recieve is at the discretion of the packer. I'm not suggesting they would cut corners on a pack job for those that don't tip, but when you ask if they can have you packed for a 20 min call, or they have to choose a rig to pack first (yours or another), don't be surprised when the guy who tips gets better service.

Another thing to remember, some DZ have a packing fee or packing consession that gets a cut of everything the packers do. So even if you pay $6/per, the packer might lose a buck to 'the management'. So while you might feel like you're paying them $30 for 5 pack jobs, they only pocket $25, so the tip helps to bring that up a little.

My suggestion for compensating packers is to always go with cash. Some people suggest beer or food, or some other gifts, but a pakcer can buy all of those things with cash, and in the end, you're sure they get exactly what they want (because they buy it themselves with the money you give them).

How much is up to you. Tip what you can afford to tip, and that's the right amount. If you can swing a five-spot at the end of the day, great. If you roll up in a Benz, and have flashy gear and an expensive watch, the fiver might not be as appropriate. It will be appreciated, for sure, but be honest and give what you can.

To insure prompt service the dollar or two goes a long way.

And stow your breaks and undo your slider and cock the pilot chute.
And tell your packer when do you need your rig by.

It is like bar scence, you pay minimum, you'll get minimum.

If you do not like it you can always pack for yourself.
Bernie Sanders for President 2016

As a packer, there's nothing more I enjoy than hearing a "Good job today Johnny", "Thanks for the hard work", "Openings were great today", etc....for me, those kinda things put a smile on my face and make it worthwhile even without a tip...My DZ family is awesome to me though and I appreciate a tip more than words can describe.

i very seldom have someone else pack for me,,,, but when i DO i always pay a couple of dollars more than the cost....

when very busy,, i have sometimes come back to my packing mat to find than a packer/friend has done the job FOR me....Unasked... which is Ok by me , cause he is a very careful and deliberate packer...

NOW if I had ALL my pack jobs done by others,,, I might NOT be able to afford so much extra.. but in my case,, a tip is NO problem...

jt

$20 or so...doesn't matter if its 3-6 jumps. FWIW I never cock my pilot chute, I do unstow my slider, and without fail I set my brakes.

For me the packers attitude has a lot to do with it but I won't use a packer with a pissy attitude. I tend to find a packer I like and tip the hell out of them and tell them thanks, maybe a beer at the end of the day.

For that I expect to make the loads I tell them about, and get a "your welcome" with a smile when I say "thanks". If I have a reserve ride I expect concern and a question of what kind it was - and that's it. (I pay for the reserve re-pack)

My "friends" give me hell cause I haven't packed in prob 6 years or so. Packers make my limited time at the dz all the more enjoyable. God bless tham
Kevin Keenan is my hero, a double FUP, he does so much with so little

I don't expect tips when I pack for fun jumpers instead of tandems. Often you get a tip in the form of a jumper declining change, which is pretty cool.

On the flip side I have seen people get full disclosure on the price per pack, and they then try to under pay at the end of the day.

I don't pack sport rigs to pay the bills so I am not going to set the rate at 5 dollars a pack job to get volume up.

Almost as good as a tip is having some one come right up to you at the end of the day with the right amount of cash, and without you having to shake them down.
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

+1 Paying a packer is part of the deal for me. I pay $7-9 per pack job depending if I'm at a camp or just made 1 jump. I also have two rigs so i make sure the packer knows mine is not urgent so they can get others on the load and get to mine while we are in the air if need be. I set my brakes most of the time never cock my pilot chute as I stack it most of the time. When I get distracted and dont stow my brakes I don't get any dirty looks I get a no problem I got it. I love my packers.Without them I'd make 2 jumps a day as my back,neck and knees would be done after 2 of my own pack jobs

MAKE EVERY DAY COUNT
Life is Short and we never know how long we are going to have. We must live life to the fullest EVERY DAY. Everything we do should have a greater purpose.

Yep I love the folks that lay on the nylon when it's a 100-n-fuck outside. I Avg. $7 per pack and more if I am in a rush due to work. In the words of a good friend "You paid for the pack job, openings are optional!" :P

Fire Safety Tip: Don't fry bacon while naked

I raised my packer, paid for his college, gave him a car, room and board. I usually get free pack jobs when he's finished with all the paying customers. ;)

I liked that idea of splitting the tandem tips with the packers. Trouble is, we have 6-7 tandem packers. That $20 bill ain't gonna split too far. [:/]

I raised my packer, paid for his college, gave him a car, room and board. I usually get free pack jobs when he's finished with all the paying customers

I've got one of those on his last day of 7th grade as we speak. The project for next week is to teach him to pack, and the project for the week after that is for me to stop packing for myself after 5000+ jumps.

My god, yes-- tip your frickin' packers!!! Maybe because I worked in the service industry for years and before that I grew up with my mom in the service industry, but I just don't get how some people don't know how to tip. Like what Doug was saying about people who not only don't tip, but they try to short change you too!! At that point it's kind of insulting to the person providing you a service if you are trying to short change them.

I get money is tight for people right now, but I kind of have a rule in terms of enjoying the 'service industry.' If you are tight on cash and you order dominos, then go pick it up instead of having it delivered if you can't afford the extra buck or two for the driver. If you can't afford your 18-20% for very good wait service at a restaurant, then get the food to go where it's acceptable to tip a little less or don't eat out there at all. If you can't afford the extra few bucks for your packer, then pack for yourself (or better yet if money is really that tight you have to ask yourself if it's a good idea to be in an expensive sport like skydiving).
Apologies for the spelling (and grammar).... I got a B.S, not a B.A. :)

Always. My tip is generally about $1/pack job, though I'll often just round up to the nearest round amount so it might end up being just under or just over $1/pack job depending.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

99.3289% of the time I pack for myself, vested interested in inspecting the gear & making sure it opens right. :D

The last TWO of the last 3 paid pack jobs I had...didn't work. :(

Hope those weren't including your reserve! :P
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

99.3289% of the time I pack for myself, vested interested in inspecting the gear & making sure it opens right. :D

The last TWO of the last 3 paid pack jobs I had...didn't work. :(

Was this back in the round days?

I only have one tandem cutaway after a number of seasons and numerous tandem pack jobs. Sigma with snap toggles, which I snapped, and the tandem master couldn't unsnap. At the time the stance was proclaimed to be "never snap the toggles", same dz several seasons later another packer doesn't snap the toggles and has a toggle fire resulting in a knot and a cutaway the new stance is "allways snap the toggles". :D

I have yet to have a sport or student cutaway, knock on wood! This excludes the cutaway that I packed for myself!:P
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P