slackercruster

Ever try BASE?

I refuse to believe that my dead friends have nothing to teach. If "shit happens" is the cause of a fatility then how can we avoid it in the future? Everyone wants to think their crew is safe and that some outside force, "shit happens", just swooped in and took away their friend. I know this feeling from experience. If we use the "shit happens" excuse then we can go on making the same mistakes and never having to shift our world view to see that we are fallible. If we learn from the people who paid the ultimate price for their mistakes then we will be honoring their passing.

I disagree with the premise. I think of 'Shit Happens' as a way of dealing with the fact that you simply can not control everything.

There's a theory running around in the corporate risk management world right now - TBD : "There Be Dragons". The theory, in a nutshell - says that as soon as you think you can control for all known risk, some new unforseen risk will pop up in a place you never expected.

I think this is true of all skydiving. The difference with Base jumping is that you have even fewer tools like time (altitude), space (landing areas, unobstructed flight paths), and tools (reserves) to handle things when an unforseen risk pops up.

And trust me, an unforseen risk WILL pop up, it's pretty much guaranteed. As soon as you think you control for all risk, one will introduce itself.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

I refuse to believe that my dead friends have nothing to teach.

Reality isn't always tactful.

If "shit happens" is the cause of a fatility then how can we avoid it in the future?

Finding out you're not in complete control is a lesson in itself, no?
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Finding out you're not in complete control is a lesson in itself, no?

this is the most intelligent, intuitive statement i've ever read on this forum.

when i first started BASE (2005) a fellow had put together a pie chart of BASE fatalities from nicks fatality list. it was very well thought out and however skeptical i am of statistics, it made sense. 5% of BASE fatalities were attributed to "shit happens".

Actually BASE is the one activity where you are in control of everything.

this is actually a true statement. BASE is a technical sport. the jumper is in total control of the outcome of every jump. if any of the many conditions required for a jump aren't stellar, the jumper has the option to bail. herein lies control.

that 5%, whatcha gonna do? shit happens.

very interesting read different views of skydivers, skydivers that base.
base is more dangerous for sure less outs for things that go wrong.
they both get more dangerous the more you push it and factors you put in.
In base if you jump more positive cliffs and having to track out talus or wingsuits, or skibase or skibase wing suit, arials, jumping in wind so many factors add to the danger.
In skydiving its the same group dives, crw, freefly, pulling low for you guys, heavy wing loads, and a ton more just speculating as i do not skydive yet.
I am no base expert either only 55 jumps.
Just how I see it but most think im crazy anyways
BASE 1519