jf951

what is your order of post opening procedures?

Stow slider,
Unstow toggles
Loosen chest strap

Why, well i have cleared my air space, then the slider goes away. then i do a canopy control check.
Whilst I am in Brakes and Still holding toggles I loosen my chest strap.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

in which order do you do the fallowing and why?

stow your slider behind your head

I don't do that.

loosten your chest strap

Don't do that either.

unstow your toggles

After I'm satisfied with direction the canopy is flying to.
Your rights end where my feelings begin.

in which order do you do the fallowing and why?

stow your slider behind your head
loosten your chest strap
unstow your toggles

First I unstow my toggles, route my chest strap trough reserve handle, jump, open my main, remove used condom from slider, spit (to check wind direction), try to make a collision (that is called canopy formation) and land on some people (to make a softer landing). But I always have a feeling that I am doing something wrong.B|

-Rear riser to point the direction I need to (in regards to my location and canopy traffic).
-Pull off my RDS and roll it up (while looking for traffic)
-Loosen my chest strap extension (while looking for traffic)
-Push rolled up RDS behind my back, between my rig and my back (while looking for traffic)
-Pull RDS rings past toggles and jam them in the bottom of the risers (while looking for traffic)
-Turn on afterburners, aka release toggles and fly (while looking for traffic)

Here ya go: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5R9NCHrz4U
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

1. stow slider behind head
2. unstow toggles
3. loosen chest strap

I recently switched 2 and 3. I found for me it was not hard to loosen my chest strap with toggles in hand.

Reasoning: if you have a stuck toggle or a canopy control issue that gets revealed when you release your toggles, and you want to cut away, you can do it with a tight chest strap that makes your handles more accessible.

Seth
It's flare not flair, brakes not breaks, bridle not bridal, "could NOT care less" not "could care less".

I had a cut away once after opening my chest strap then popping the toggles. The excess stow was all kinds of knotted up. I was a little freaked out having to cut away with a completely loosened chest strap. So now i pop my toggles before loosening the chest strap.
(insert philosophical quote here)

Response from a newb:

1. Check my canopy for square and stable
2. look for canopies
3. turn towards dz with rear riser
4. look for canopies
5. collapse slider
6. look for canopies
7. unstow brakes
8. look for canopies
9. setup landing pattern
10. look for canopies, make a predictable left hand pattern, look for canopies. land. smile. repeat.

-Unzip arms(if in my wingsuit)
-Clear airspace and turn towards DZ with rears (being aware of jumprun and where other canopies will be opening)
-Unzip legs (in the wingsuit) or pop booties off (in the belly suit)
-Stow slider
-Pop togles and do a control check
-Loosen chest strap.

What camera are you using when you put on your helmet dave?

GoPro. For that jump I used some 550 cord and tied it to my shoe. Worst case, if I some how got it entangled, I could kick my shoe off.;)

GoPro. For that jump I used some 550 cord and tied it to my shoe. Worst case, if I some how got it entangled, I could kick my shoe off.;)

Hate to be under ya considering the size of your waffle stompers! ;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Hate to be under ya considering the size of your waffle stompers! ;)

Its even bigger now since I've got a blue ortho clod hopper on my right for for a week or so!

How do you loosen your chest strap while holding toggles without making your canopy fly all over the place?
http://www.mixcloud.com/prajna
http://vimeo.com/avidya

After you have toggles firmly locked in your hands simply bring each hand down to the chest strap.

Hook your thumbs under the main lift web and push in toward your breast bone (it doesn't take much).

This takes the tension off the chest strap hardware. Then simply use one or two fingers to pull on the hardware to loosen the strap.

I take it all the way to the folded over end and I have an extra 10-12 inches on my chest strap.

It's critically important to keep your eyes on canopy traffic.

Once you've done it a couple times, you'll realize you can do it without looking and without loosing heading control.
Be the canopy pilot you want that other guy to be.

1. Check my canopy for square and stable
2. look for canopies
3. turn towards dz with rear riser
4. look for canopies
5. collapse slider
6. look for canopies
7. Loosen chest stap
8. Look for canopies
9. unstow brakes
10. look for canopies
11. Fly to holding area while looking for canopies, checking there altitudes as well so I may enter the landing pattern
12. setup landing pattern
13. look for canopies, fly a predictable pattern in relation to the wind/landing direction, look for canopies. land. and repeat.

Head always on a swivel!!

Fire Safety Tip: Don't fry bacon while naked

I find it a little less convenient to loosen my cheststrap after I release my brakes, but the potential safety gains are worth it in my opinion.

I dread to think how hard it could be to find my handles with my 36" cheststrap completely loose.

Please consider changing your procedures if you can to loosening your cheststrap last. As has been mentioned up thread, this has been a real problem for some and is not just theoretical.

How do you loosen your chest strap while holding toggles without making your canopy fly all over the place?

Easy,
both hands at same height on chest puts me in about half breaks.
Push L/R lift webs together, release buckle and loosen strap.
I Freefly pretty much exclusivly so my chest strap is tight for freefall.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

After seeing one fatality that might have direct cause of openinig the chest strap prior to canopy control check now i stow my slider first than i'll do control check than i loosen up the chest strap.

After the fatality everyone at school changed the procedure.
If the canopy rocks around so what??? It only takes two or three seconds to open up the chest strap
Bernie Sanders for President 2016

After you have toggles firmly locked in your hands simply bring each hand down to the chest strap.

Hook your thumbs under the main lift web and push in toward your breast bone (it doesn't take much).

This takes the tension off the chest strap hardware. Then simply use one or two fingers to pull on the hardware to loosen the strap.

It's critically important to keep your eyes on canopy traffic.

You can do it without looking and without loosing heading control.

This is awesome. Thanks for the tips!
It's flare not flair, brakes not breaks, bridle not bridal, "could NOT care less" not "could care less".

I have been loosening my chest strap and advising others to do so for about 20 years, since my first Sabre. I always have 12 to 16 inches added to the strap when ordering a new rig and even had one replaced to get it longer. I loosen it all the way to the stop (fold). I also usually do a handle check after wards. I know where my handles are after loosening just as well as I do before. And always lock eyes on them as well.

It's important to note that if you do not bring the slider all the way down behind your head or remove it then the benefits of spreading the chest strap are negligible for reasons already stated.

As some have already stated, spreading the chest strap dramatically reduces the anhedral shape. Which simply means when looking directly at the front of a canopy the wing tips are pulled down below the center cells after opening. Because of this, the lift on the outer cells is pulling at an angle to the outsides. The more you reduce the arc from wing tip to wing tip the flatter the wing becomes. This allows a more effecient wing surface which causes the lift to pull more directly up over head.

All this provides the following as mentioned by others:

* Improved overall lift
* Improved glide
* Improved stability (especially in turbulence)
* Lower stall speed
* Improved flare

All of this is a basic understanding of aerodynamic flight and can be readily researched anywhere.

It is my understanding that all of those with PD will essentially tell you the same thing. And that most average jumpers will see noticeable improvement in canopy flight, even those will larger wings and lower wing loadings.

When I talk to newer jumpers I tell them to listen to everyone, but to always question a person's answers. Sort of like making them defend a thesis. Ask them how they have come to their conclusions. It won't take long for an intelligent person to figure out if the answers are just being regurgitated from what they've heard or if they have actually thought out their position.

It's also important to note that many older jumpers are set in their ways and will often tell you that someone elses ideas are "BS". Again it doesn't take long to figure out who those people are.

If people will take the time to invest a few jumps dedicated solely to canopy flight they will soon learn for themselves whether this chest strap stuff is a myth or not. I've done the research, I've made the jumps and I know for a fact that it is not a myth.

Taken from a previous post that I would agree to and makes complete sense.
For info regarding lift ticket prices all around the world check out
http://www.jumpticketprices.com/dropzones.asp

Ok guys...new guy question.....whats the purpose of loosening your chest strap?? Just curious.

It allows the risers to spread apart further (assuming you have brought your slider down to the base of your risers). This allows the canopy to spread further and assume a flatter shape which is more efficient at producing useful lift.

This extra useful lift can help in many situations including (but not limited to) swooping and getting back from long spots.

Imagine a canopy with the slider stuck near the top of the lines - it will not be flying as well as one with the slider all the way down the lines on the links. This is just an extension of that really.

Bringing the slider down and loosening the chest strap is by no means something you have to do. It is a preference for some jumpers.

ETA - beaten to it by mchamp whose answer is much more complete and in-depth than mine. :)