k2everest

Gloves or no Gloves?

I want to always be able to feel my handles. During the warm season, I prefer no gloves. When it gets cold enough that my hands might loose sense of touch, I put gloves on so my hands stay warm enough to feel my handles.

I know of plenty of folks that always wear gloves so that the feel on their handles is always the same.

If you wear gloves, practice on the ground by gripping your handles to make sure you can get a good feel and positive grip.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

I pretty much always wear (good fitting) gloves. Thin ones in summer, 2 layers in winter.

pros:
- if you are used to wearing gloves, jumping in winter is less of a transition
- any problem on landing or on opening that could have damaged your hands (skin) now will most likely only damage your gloves, if even that
- for FS, you want gloves so points show for the judges
- for swooping, you want gloves
- on exit, this way I don't care if the bars are coooooold
- same for colder-than-expected weather or even rain
- you shouldn't do canopy relative work without gloves ;)
- when dropping static line students, gloves are good as well.

cons:
- price
- miss the feeling of the wind on your hands
- I tend to leave mine in the van :S
- a bit less feeling in your hands so practice opening and your emergency procedure with gloves too, a lot

ciel bleu,
Saskia

I wear gloves the majority of the time; I wear a wedding ring, and this means I don't have to remember where I put it. It stays on my finger.

I haven't had trouble with feeling anything with them; thin leather palms, and a variety of backs depending on which year's gloves they are.

Tackified football receiver's gloves used to work well (I have short wide fingers, like teenaged boys). Now they aren't leather any more, so I'm not sure what's next.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Tackified football receiver's gloves used to work well (I have short wide fingers, like teenaged boys). Now they aren't leather any more, so I'm not sure what's next.

Whenever I jump with gloves, I generally use the Mechanix gloves (the ones in autozone) They're thin enough that I can still feel thru them, yet have what I believe is a leather palm.

Then I moved to Florida... no need for them here!B|
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

I usually wear gloves but didn't this last weekend because my roommates dog chewed them up. I had a really hard opening and my left hand whipped down and must have caught a seam just right and almost tore off my pinky finger nail but was mostly just skin. it's gloves for me from here on out

I bought a pair of the tacky football gloves. I had a dream that the hacky stuck to my palm and I could not get it off and ended up ripping off the glove and throwing it and the hacky out!!

Needless to say, they are not THAT tacky!!

If you use receiver's gloves every weekend or so for half a year it loses the "sticky" and just stays nice and grippy. I have noticed they get a little slick when wet, so maybe not the best idea in wet conditions.

I usually use my receiver's gloves in winter (especially in the tunnel) and I have some batting gloves for the summer time. I love the batting gloves and wear them as long as I can until the cold gets too much for me. They're super thin and have a great grip. Almost like having nothing on.

Whenever I jump with gloves, I generally use the Mechanix gloves (the ones in autozone) They're thin enough that I can still feel thru them, yet have what I believe is a leather palm.

That's what I wear, every jump.

Hot weather or cold, I just like that extra layer of protection. Never know when something weird will happen.
I am NOT being loud.
I'm being enthusiastic!

That's what I wear, every jump.

Hot weather or cold, I just like that extra layer of protection. Never know when something weird will happen.

Somehow I even cut my finger in the tunnel last week. Weird! :S
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly

i hate wearing gloves. while skydiving, i want all of my senses functioning. touch is a sense, and i am not giving that one up.

during the winter i jump these http://www.chutingstar.com/newgear_en/nsl-tackified-skydiving-gloves.html

with a pair of these on underneath
http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_10201800_475003006_475000000_475003000?hvarAID=shopping_googlebase&om_mmc=shopping_googlebase
"Never grow a wishbone, where your backbone ought to be."

i hate wearing gloves. while skydiving, i want all of my senses functioning. touch is a sense, and i am not giving that one up.

during the winter i jump these http://www.chutingstar.com/newgear_en/nsl-tackified-skydiving-gloves.html

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_10201800_475003006_475000000_475003000?hvarAID=shopping_googlebase&om_mmc=shopping_googlebase

? You just said two different things.
I am NOT being loud.
I'm being enthusiastic!

Can you tell me the pros and cons of wearing gloves, or not wearing gloves? What do you prefer and why?

In competetive FS gloves help with grips on exit and during block moves, hence the popularity of "tackified" gloves with that group. Being of that group I wear them all the time and put liners in an oversized pair for really cold weather. Snug fit is important so that loose material doesn't get caught in places it should not. I also have my visual altimeter in a pocket on the glove now, so they are used almost 100% of my jumps.
Keep the shiny side up!
Butler

I'm a BIG fan of Mechanix gloves. I wear them every day at work and I wear them on every jump (bad enough that I have a really bad glove tan). It helps keep your hands from getting nicked and scratched on and in the airplane. It helps protect your hand if you slide in a landing. I like how it protects my hands against my dive loops and helps me grab my rears.

The standard Mechanix glove is good, but I REALLY like the Vented Mechanix glove for the summer. It has a patch on the back of the thumb for wiping sweat off your brow.

EDIT:

Linkage: http://www.amazon.com/Mechanix-MGV-55-009-Original-Covert-Medium/dp/B0019IA2FK
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

He often does:D

I wear gloves all the time, at about 200 jumps i nearly de-gloved my wedding ring finger, since that jump I always wear them.
As to the "sense of feeling" it is in no way impeded by wearing appropriate gloves.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

After a bad landing which ground gravel into my palm... Gloves on ALL jumps! When doing AFF I feel like I get a better grip and that the harness chews up my hand less when exits get "sporting".
The choices we make have consequences, for us & for others!

Mine are the M-PACT gloves.. they seem to have just a bit more protection around the knuckles and maybe a bit more padding on the palm.

I still wear them from time to time, even in FL... but it's not so often as it was doing my AFF in November in TN!

I will suggest that anyone trying to wear gloves, make damn sure you check the feel of your hackey/pud... my freefly pud feels a LOT different with the gloves on, and I've adjusted my grip on it to make sure I get a good pull while wearing the gloves.

Kinda wish I woulda gone with the PVC pipe option... :D

I had a bad opening that somehow took off a chunk of skin on one of my fingers and had me bleeding pretty good, and since then I always wear gloves.

On the topic of the tackified receiver gloves: I really like the gloves, but after a day of jumping my hands always develop a distinct gross-inside-of-glove smell that's tough to get rid of. I've baby-powdered the gloves multiple times, but it never does any good. Anybody else have that problem? I've switched to batting gloves in the meantime, which work just fine, but I do like the receiver gloves.

i hate wearing gloves. while skydiving, i want all of my senses functioning. touch is a sense, and i am not giving that one up, as long as the temperature isn't low enough to loose sensation.

"Never grow a wishbone, where your backbone ought to be."

No gloves, only when it gets cold. If it starts to get super cold, throw a pair of latex (surgical) gloves over your gloves. You would be surprised how well it works to keep things from going numb.
"Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doing, than a long life spent in a miserable way." - Alan Watts