havoc996

Chest strap question

There was an incident posted on here where an experienced skydiver had loosened his chest strap and then had an issue with the main. Because the chest strap had already been loosened he couldn't find the reserve or cut away handle since the loosened chest strap had changed their position. I have searched for the thread but can not find it. I was discussing this with another jumper at the DZ and they were interested in reading it and seeing the video that was attached.

Does anybody remember this?
Trail mix? Oh, you mean M&M's with obstacles.

havoc996

There was an incident posted on here where an experienced skydiver had loosened his chest strap and then had an issue with the main. Because the chest strap had already been loosened he couldn't find the reserve or cut away handle since the loosened chest strap had changed their position. I have searched for the thread but can not find it. I was discussing this with another jumper at the DZ and they were interested in reading it and seeing the video that was attached.

yo bro...thanks for @ least doing a search on the threads.

also, this vid might provide some some insight too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PU1mL3YLOIY

havoc996

Havoc,

Ignore GooniesKid he's still sucking on his mamas boobies.

shorehambeach

***There was an incident posted on here where an experienced skydiver had loosened his chest strap and then had an issue with the main. Because the chest strap had already been loosened he couldn't find the reserve or cut away handle since the loosened chest strap had changed their position. I have searched for the thread but can not find it. I was discussing this with another jumper at the DZ and they were interested in reading it and seeing the video that was attached.

Havoc,

Ignore GooniesKid he's still sucking on his mamas boobies.

Just thought Brian Germain's safety video on chest straps might have been an addendum and relevant to this topic. But if you want to act like a child about it that's cool..i love sucking on your mom's boobies :o

I know "I don't know what I don't know". We were discussing things like this and I was noticing that my handles when under canopy are slightly different then when I'm just wearing my rig.

Being former military and using muscle memory a lot this was of interest to me. It got us on the topic of the above article and subsequent video and I was trying to find it to send to another newer skydiver. I didn't want anything lost in my translation from memory of the article.

Thanks everyone. Feel free to continue said discussion of boobies. ;)

Scrumpot

There was also another incident (a fatality - no video that I am aware) where it was thought this scenario may have also contributed, with a WS flyer at Elsinore either last season or one before that, IIRC.

Are you thinking of the camera flyer in 2008 (longer ago than I thought):

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=3254187#3254187
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

We had our safety day this last weekend. I provide the cutaway trainer. A major point is to see how far the handles move from wearing to under canopy and to point out that unlike the trainer (that they are still hanging in) the handles will be somewhere lower and may be shifted around torso after a cutaway due to main being empty and instability.

Answer, look for the damn things and make sure of what you pulling on. Even in the trainer some people were pulling on the wrong thing.

Extra: this year I hung the trainer from a rock climbing/rescue swivel so they could be spinning (upright not swung out) at upwards of 60 rpm (if I really wanted to mess with them;)). Help enforce needing to focus on harness and handles even with the world around you spins.

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

councilman24

We had our safety day this last weekend. I provide the cutaway trainer. A major point is to see how far the handles move from wearing to under canopy and to point out that unlike the trainer (that they are still hanging in) the handles will be somewhere lower and may be shifted around torso after a cutaway due to main being empty and instability.

Answer, look for the damn things and make sure of what you pulling on. Even in the trainer some people were pulling on the wrong thing.

Extra: this year I hung the trainer from a rock climbing/rescue swivel so they could be spinning (upright not swung out) at upwards of 60 rpm (if I really wanted to mess with them;)). Help enforce needing to focus on harness and handles even with the world around you spins.

Sounds like some damn good training to me! What DZ was this at?

havoc996

Sounds like some damn good training to me! What DZ was this at?

Skydive Allegan, Michigan. We had a cutaway trainer, what not to do videos, grilled brats and a raffle. I won a H&P and redeemed it 30 min later; it was a good day.
It's flare not flair, brakes not breaks, bridle not bridal, "could NOT care less" not "could care less".

Boogers

***Skydive Allegan, Michigan. We had a cutaway trainer, what not to do videos, grilled brats and a raffle. I won a H&P and redeemed it 30 min later; it was a good day.

What's a "H&P"?

I assumed it was a hop and pop.

Yes, that is the one. Good "find", Krisanne, and extremely relevant I think, to the current question/conversation at hand.

[URL http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=3254187#3254187]http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=3254187#3254187[/url]

longer ago than I thought

Me too. Wow, holy-moly how getting old (speaking for myself) makes time just FLY! Yikes.
coitus non circum - Moab Stone

havoc996

I know "I don't know what I don't know". We were discussing things like this and I was noticing that my handles when under canopy are slightly different then when I'm just wearing my rig.

Being former military and using muscle memory a lot this was of interest to me. It got us on the topic of the above article and subsequent video and I was trying to find it to send to another newer skydiver. I didn't want anything lost in my translation from memory of the article.

................................................................................

Teach them to put their hands on the harness (just under the 3-Rings) then slide them down to the (cutaway and ripcord) handles. It also helps if they are looking at their handles while reaching/sliding.

riggerrob

***I know "I don't know what I don't know". We were discussing things like this and I was noticing that my handles when under canopy are slightly different then when I'm just wearing my rig.

................................................................................

Teach them to put their hands on the harness (just under the 3-Rings) then slide them down to the (cutaway and ripcord) handles. It also helps if they are looking at their handles while reaching/sliding.

Important point that I've had to incorporate in my EP's-

On my last rig the cutaway handle was small, round & stiff...my current rig it's wide & not stiff. It blows out 90 degrees in freefall, which I knew from seeing videos but never made the connection to it doing that under a high speed streamer.

A few months back I was under a screamin ball of shit and my hand went right past it...canopy opened before I made a 2nd try, but took the wake up call very seriously.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~