thrillstalker

High hop n pop video

you were pretty bloody close to that canopy when you opened:|

Also looks like the guy with the other canopy was flying along jump run following the plane.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

right after the storm blew out, we went up for a high hop. amazingly beautiful and fun jump.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIKVm_swCpw

Those jumps are a lot of fun and can be excellent skill learning dives.

They can also be incredibly dangerous.

Next time have a dive flow and try a few skills (works better as just a two way with someone with a higher level of skill as the base). All standard CRW precautions apply, even though you will not intentionally be touching another canopy or jumper.

You can fly relative to someone under canopy, that isn't too hard, but making movements relative to that person makes it harder.

Skill 1: forward and backward movement relative to your base. The goal is to stay on horizontal level with your base. Use your body position to increase your speed and decrease your speed relative to your base. Tucking and reducing drag, then extending and cupping to slow down.

Skill 2: Up and down movement relative to your base. The goal is to stay vertically in line with your base. If you use your rears or toggles to "go up" relative to your base, you'll also fall behind. It is a progression that requires you to change your body position to speed up relative to your base just before you "go up." Depending on your flight configuration, rears usually works best. Going down with some easy double fronts is just the opposite, you need to slow down a little so you don't pass your base.

Skill 3: Side to side movement relative to your base. Using your harness and a combination of other inputs you can make nearly make your canopy side slide relative to your base. Now you can work on staying on the same relative vertical and horizontal plane as your base and move out and in. As to the inputs, due to the complexity of the inputs, those are best taught in person by your canopy coach.

A drill dive to do when you're done learning these skills are "box drills." One person lays a base and the other makes vertical box around the base. The trick is to make it as distinct as possible with your horizontal and vertical lines being as straight as possible while staying relative. You're not wanting to make a round box. The next drill is the horizontal box, which takes a bit more skill to stay horizontally level and relative.

Does all of that sound easy? It is easy...with enough jumps learning how to do them! (It's nothing a thousand jumps won't fix;))
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

@AggieDave
A quick question from a noob (since you brought up some suggestions on CRW skill practicing): where is the burble of another canopy, and how far back should you be mindful of it?

Directly behind and a few feet up usually is the worst part, however, remember turbulence goes back a distance, there was an incident not long ago that had a swooper following a pattern (normal speed, not induced speed) of another jumper, his canopy ended up collapsing from the turbulence and IIRC he had a Cypres save. (chest strap wide open, couldn't locate reserve handle after chop)
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly

You guys should practice some hop and pops... those exits where horrible...

agreed, i think i was the only one stable. you have to know how to exit in case you get out low. the guy that went out first has over a 100 jumps and i told him he might want to unhook his rsl, he had to have help[:/]
"Never grow a wishbone, where your backbone ought to be."

while flying in a group it could be dangerous if there was a collision or wrap (safety). in that case an rsl could make it worse and adds steps needed to fix the problem. deploying at 13,000 you might not want an rsl either (opinion) because you have plenty of time to get stable (this was a high deployment, and i know not to do this at normal deployment altitudes).
"Never grow a wishbone, where your backbone ought to be."

agreed, i think i was the only one stable. you have to know how to exit in case you get out low. the guy that went out first has over a 100 jumps and i told him he might want to unhook his rsl, he had to have help[:/]

[:/]Atleast he asked...

I still think the guy that wenbt out first (blue/yellow jumsuit) did the best hop n pop exit. Yours is okish, but too head-low.

Check out the exits in this CRWcoaching vid (not the first green/white guy though LOL) : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJLX6In7PWg

ciel bleu,
Saskia

...amazingly beautiful and fun jump.

you were pretty bloody close to that canopy when you opened

looks like the guy with the other canopy was flying along jump run following the plane.

I love dropzone.com

thanks for the tips. i wish there were some crew dogs at my dz, there is so much to learn.

The drills I'm talking about aren't specific to CRW, a lot of HP pilots do flocking canopy dives and it takes these skills to do it right/safe.

I bet you could get a qualified canopy pilot or qualified CRW pilot to come out to your DZ to teach these sorts of things.

This is an example of why I have been so drawn to canopy flight. It is so very complex and so engaging...and so few skydivers actually learn how to fly their canopy. They open, they point towards the DZ and pull the toggles to stop, that's about where it ends for the majority of skydivers out there. That's too bad, they're missing out on a lot of fun!

@AggieDave
A quick question from a noob (since you brought up some suggestions on CRW skill practicing): where is the burble of another canopy, and how far back should you be mindful of it?

Here is a practical explanation. Others can come back and fill in the technical terms later, but I would rather explain these sorts of things in plain English:

In neutral flight (full flight, flying straight) that burble will be behind and upward (trailing the line the canopy is taking towards the earth). Think of it as a big cone coming off the back of the jumper and canopy. When the jumper goes right, the cone swings off towards the left, when the jumper goes left the cone swings left.

There is also a a buffer of air pushing off the front and sides of the canopy. Think of it like a boat going across a still lake. The water pushes off the bow, rolls down the side and collapses behind the boat leaving the wake. Air is similarly moved around the canopy. So an example would be if you fly up next to another canopy and try to bump endcells, you'll feel the canopies pushing against each other before they actually touch.

Skill 3: Side to side movement relative to your base. Using your harness and a combination of other inputs you can make nearly make your canopy side slide relative to your base. Now you can work on staying on the same relative vertical and horizontal plane as your base and move out and in. As to the inputs, due to the complexity of the inputs, those are best taught in person by your canopy coach.

Would you mind describing the theory of how to make a canopy side-slide? I have often wondered if it is possible and I'd love to try it.

Thanks.

while flying in a group it could be dangerous if there was a collision or wrap (safety). in that case an rsl could make it worse and adds steps needed to fix the problem.

Well, true enough but you really need to get advice from good CrW dogs

deploying at 13,000 you might not want an rsl either (opinion) because you have plenty of time to get stable (this was a high deployment, and i know not to do this at normal deployment altitudes).

Mitch, this is waaay off base. Opinion or not. I certainly hope you are not disconnecting your RSL just because you are pulling high.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Would you mind describing the theory of how to make a canopy side-slide? I have often wondered if it is possible and I'd love to try it.

Thanks.[/reply

We have no rudder to make the canopy slip and what would be called a side slide flying a canopy isn't a true straight to the side movement. It could be considered a flat turn with out a heading change. Some people use toggle control, I have better results with rear riser input. The simplified explanation is that you use a harness input to start a turn then use opposite rear riser or toggle input to flatten the movement and control heading. On a Velo loaded over 2.5 this method works like a champ.

With lighter canopies I've had good results using a toggle input with an opposite rear riser to counter the movement. A toggle input with countering harness input will also bring some success.

Relative to another canopy it is a side slide. In the "real world" it isn't, but it's all we got.;)

Thank you! Something totally new to try! I am excited about this.

The last totally new canopy control move I did was one front riser and opposite toggle. Had no idea what would happen and still don't really as I had no reference (it was a solo). All I could tell was that I slowed down. At least I know it is controllable!

Now I have something else to play with.