charlie5

Benefits to being a bigger jumper?

So I just weighed myself, finally under 220, now I just need to save up a little more to start License A. (wanting to skydive has been a great motivator in getting me to exercise everyday and diet).

Question: are there any positive aspects to being a bigger jumper? I'm 6'4'' 219 now.

Would it help with stability, canopy control etc?

Other than falling like a rock, what are the other cons?

I hope to get down to 200.
The feather butts bounce off ya like raindrops hitting a battle-star when they come in too fast...kinda funny to watch. - airtwardo

So I just weighed myself, finally under 220, now I just need to save up a little more to start License A. (wanting to skydive has been a great motivator in getting me to exercise everyday and diet).

Question: are there any positive aspects to being a bigger jumper? I'm 6'4'' 219 now.

Would it help with stability, canopy control etc?

Other than falling like a rock, what are the other cons?

I hope to get down to 200.

You get to be far more "cozy" in a Cessna 182 than our smaller muchkin skybrothers and skysisters do:ph34r: Hell some of them can even stand up inside the C-182.

Everyone will want you on their load. You'll make a good target...er...I mean base.[:/]

Sweet, I love being groped by strangers.
The feather butts bounce off ya like raindrops hitting a battle-star when they come in too fast...kinda funny to watch. - airtwardo

I would say no benefits to being bigger !
Thats coming from a slimer me at 225 Lbs and 6.2 ft tall. Smaller people are sometimes sceered to jump with you. However with a good jumpsuit and practise I can match fall rates with most people.
I did feel sorry for my AFF instructors at having to jump w/big weightbelts during AFF. Good thing is that most places have plenty of big people.
We can push people out of the beer line easier ! HA, HA

None.

The smaller people will float on you instead of trying to fall fast to stay with you. That'll leave you low, looking stupid. And then you'll get stuck being the base all the time, instead of being able to fly and swoop. And if you do get to dive and swoop, you don't have the ability to flare out and stop on a dime like a skinny guy.

The skinny suckers have all the advantages, with a highly variable fall rate.

Since we've quit calling skydiving "relative work", new jumpers no longer have the concept that it's necessary to fall at rates fast enough for everyone to get together. Now we call it "formation skydiving", so all the skinny people make their formation, and then wonder why those darned big guys are all low on them...

None.

The smaller people will float on you instead of trying to fall fast to stay with you. That'll leave you low, looking stupid. And then you'll get stuck being the base all the time, instead of being able to fly and swoop.

Since we've quit calling skydiving "relative work", new jumpers no longer have the concept that it's necessary to fall at rates fast enough for everyone to get together.

At 6'4" and 219 i wouldn't call the OP that big tho.... He's pretty tall, so his fall rate shouldn't be ballistic.
Remster

None.

The smaller people will float on you instead of trying to fall fast to stay with you. That'll leave you low, looking stupid. And then you'll get stuck being the base all the time, instead of being able to fly and swoop.

Since we've quit calling skydiving "relative work", new jumpers no longer have the concept that it's necessary to fall at rates fast enough for everyone to get together.

At 6'4" and 219 i wouldn't call the OP that big tho.... He's pretty tall, so his fall rate shouldn't be ballistic.

That's true, my height should help. I'll have to find REALLY baggy jumpsuits. Any recommendations?

I'm just a bit bigger than you are...

The Pros~
The feather butts bounce off ya like raindrops hitting a battle-star when they come in too fast...kinda funny to watch.

You can out dive the munchkins, leaving last and entering 3rd always leaves 'em scratching their heads.

Ya don't get a lotta snide sarcastic remarks when ya fuck up...step on the 1st pygmy that gives you lip, the rest get the idea pretty quick.

I think we bigger jumpers have more control in freefall, when your hand is as big as the other guys head it makes a difference...heck as a tandem master, doesn't matter what the passenger is doing, my arms & legs are out in clean air and flyin'!

Ya don't have to get the canopy as close to the disk when shooting accuracy.

Hot sky-chicks always wanna ride ya rodeo.

Cons~

Usually the last sardine in the can, not very comfortable in most aircraft...I love DC-3's!

Gear is larger, tough to find good used stuff that fits, parachutes, jumpsuits, helmets...get used to shopping for new and paying custom prices.

Don't get to go front float too much, crowds center & rear to the tail.

All in all I like being a large Costco sized skydiver, the pros outweigh the cons considerably...especially at times like when the hot blond packer picks up my gloves and says DAMN your hands are HUGE! >:(

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

I like your thinking airtwardo. Especially hot sky-chicks :)

Thanks a lot for the replies so far.

I have to say, being the last one on board for my tandem did suck ass. My ass was half-off the bench and I basically had to use my legs to push myself up as we were going up really steeply. Like semi-squats the whole way up.

Good think I have massive thighs for the hot sky chicks to sit on.

You can learn to outfly the little ones and make them look silly for thinking that you are gonna go low.

Us bigger fuckers are well suited for swooping down the road, as we can have higher wingloadings on bigger wings. Initially that is a big of a pain in the ass as you will still load larger wings at a fairly significant loading. -- Downside, we have to buy different canopies to change loading, instead of just changing weight belts.

6' - 225, 245-250 with gear, depending on cameras.

You can learn to outfly the little ones and make them look silly for thinking that you are gonna go low.

Us bigger fuckers are well suited for swooping down the road, as we can have higher wingloadings on bigger wings. Initially that is a big of a pain in the ass as you will still load larger wings at a fairly significant loading. -- Downside, we have to buy different canopies to change loading, instead of just changing weight belts.

6' - 225, 245-250 with gear, depending on cameras.

You might see me at Orange, that's where I plan to get my A license.

Then you can show another big fucker your tricks ;)

None.

The smaller people will float on you instead of trying to fall fast to stay with you. That'll leave you low, looking stupid. And then you'll get stuck being the base all the time, instead of being able to fly and swoop. And if you do get to dive and swoop, you don't have the ability to flare out and stop on a dime like a skinny guy.

None? You sir have obviously never been a swoop competitor!
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

None.

"d00d...my SLIDER is bigger than your parachute!" ;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

AFTER you are decided that you plan to stick around the sport, go with a custom made suit. I'm 5'8 - 200 and other people's clothes just don't work. Once I finally got my skills up to flying with everyone else then added a well made suit the difference was night and day. But I reiterate - the flying skills came first but after a lot of unsuccessful jumps. Don't depend on gear to make up for what you lack in ability. Be patient and you will get there.
The brave may not live forever, but the timid never live at all.

None.

"d00d...my SLIDER is bigger than your parachute!" ;)

With my weight I jump a BIG canopy. Hell, it has 3-digits!
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

When you have the experience to fly a Vampire, you can zoom across the sky like a fighter jet. Probably makes for some awesome cloud surfing. Since you're quite long, you can probably get pretty good at tracking dives, too.
Brian

6'4" 220 lbs is not so big.

You don't want a jumpsuit that is simply big, it is better for it to get some of the extra drag you need by having double layer arms and legs.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

The sport punishes heavier people rather relentlessly.

About the only advantage heavy people have is in long distance swooping and in order to get proficient enough to take advantage of it, you'll end up punishing your body (knees) more by being heavier.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

You doing solo free fly helps keep the plane's CG right.

You can belly fly with the free flyers.

You can drink more beer before you get crazy.

The munchkins can stand close to you for the shade.

More girls qualify as "spinners".
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239