blue24

Injured on a night jump...Why?

602 n.jpg

Nice pic!

Thanks! that was from my first digital camera in 2005.

Heather is the red streak in the sky from her NAV lights, she died a year after this was taken in my Citabria with another friend Dave in the mountains.

I am on the far left, masked by the bright light. Alex is the next over in front, He died because some idiot white collar/lawyer "pilot" was playing video games in his brand new fail-safe invincible CAPS parachute equipped Cirrus. Not looking where he was going, and flew his engine through the cockpit of my best friend. Luckily the Cirrus pilot (and sadly his passenger) burned alive on the parachute (CAPS) ride down. Alex was in pieces. took them two days to find all of him. Glad the Cirrus pilot is dead, cause i'd have killed him otherwise.

I have lost six friends to plane crashes, two to parachute crashes. Only truly cried about Alex because I grew up with him, we learned everything together.

That's what happens though. We fall out of the sky sometimes. To do anything that we do without accepting and grasping that in it's entirety is ignorant and dangerous. People go in, and sure, it is a sad thing. A life has been lost. But what did you expect to happen when you started exploring ways to truly live?

never been, seen plenty - most people appear to flare too late in my estimate and hammer in. Legs, knees, face, are most of the injuries.

I now start my night jump briefing with something along the lines of "OK, if you are too stupid to land your parachute half decent at night, OR you cannot already land it near-perfect every time during the daytime, then please get off the load now so I do not have to pick up your broken body."

We also instigated a new policy of allowing anyone to use student gear for a night jump, just so they can upsize by 20-50% if they want to. That has worked out well and I am the first to use it. These 50-year-old eyes are not that great any more and more fabric means more forgiveness.

Or it can keep the goal oriented in the sport longer working towards their D. When I heard of night jumps I got excited, its now one of my goals. Granted I have to wait 4-5 years til,

It's going to take you 5 years to get to 50 jumps? Read your SIM, the requirements to do a night jump are all laid out in there...

If night jumps to be requirement for b, then for d lincense i'd say flying minimum wingload 2.0 n dragging feet across the water.

Night jumps shouldn't be a requirement on anything.

Why not? The boogie man?

Seriously, how can one call themselves a "Master Parachutist" if they haven't shown the skill to land one in the dark?
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

If night jumps to be requirement for b, then for d lincense i'd say flying minimum wingload 2.0 n dragging feet across the water.

Night jumps shouldn't be a requirement on anything.

Why not? The boogie man?

Seriously, how can one call themselves a "Master Parachutist" if they haven't shown the skill to land one in the dark?

You're a few years behind the times. Read the SIM.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

All of my night jump landings have been perfect.

My then-boyfriend (now ex boyfriend) was injured on a night jump landing. He was flying a Katana 120 and didn't flare. He hit the ground ankles, knees, elbows, hands, face. He had symmetrical wounds on both sides of his body. He was hurting but didn't break anything because both sides of his body hit at the same time. He was very lucky!
http://3ringnecklace.com/

That's what happens though. We fall out of the sky sometimes. To do anything that we do without accepting and grasping that in it's entirety is ignorant and dangerous. People go in, and sure, it is a sad thing. A life has been lost. But what did you expect to happen when you started exploring ways to truly live?

I like that, alot.

On my only night jump I left the lit landing area a several hundred feet. Into the dark I went and flew into the ground without flaring. I confess I don't remember what really happened, only what people tell me. I remember a couple of hundred feet above ground . . . then memory picks up in the CT scanner at the ER. Other than two black eyes and a concussion, no real damage was done. One of these days I will get around to number 2.

My question is, does my crashing night jump still count toward my needed two for D?
POPS #10623; SOS #1672

On my only night jump I left the lit landing area a several hundred feet. Into the dark I went and flew into the ground without flaring. I confess I don't remember what really happened, only what people tell me. I remember a couple of hundred feet above ground . . . then memory picks up in the CT scanner at the ER. Other than two black eyes and a concussion, no real damage was done. One of these days I will get around to number 2.

My question is, does my crashing night jump still count toward my needed two for D?

If ya are alive to log it, count it. ;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Make sure of the wind direction information you are receiving.

Recently, at a very large DZ, a group of CRW jumpers was told that the car lights would be pointing a certain way to indicate the wind direction in the landing area. Through some miscommunication, the lights were pointing the opposite way, and all landed downwind. No serious injuries, but there sure could have been.

Kevin K.

I've made 10 true night jumps. The last one in 2005, which is still the Deaf World Record, a 3 point 8 way. It's the last one for me because the videographer was spotting for us, and we got put out more than a mile off the DZ. Only one of us made it back. I had to pick a small grass island in a commuter bus parking lot along the highway where I could actually see the fucking ground and power lines. The rest of us landed in the dark fields on the other side of the highway.

The videographer? He landed in knee deep swampy water and was lost for 2 hours. Serves the fucker right! :D We were glad to get everybody back safe and sound though. :)
My first child was on the way at the time, so needless to say, it was time to cut out the unnecessary risks and stick to fun jumps.

"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Define injury...sprained ankle, face plant, broken anything etc. Is depth perception a challenge for you when landing?

And do you think it should be a D license requirement?

This topic has been beat to death. Man up and do the jumps or don’t. Don’t try to back door it in on the “injury “card.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

My first night jump I landed off and hit the ground without even knowing it was coming, which was probably a good thing because I didn't tense up and break anything. This was the first time in my life I really truly didn't know if I was going in. This due to a combination of a lot of things, my flashlight not working properly, me not checking the spot well enough and just trusting my friend, and poor lighting of the DZ. I ended up with a concussion and a lost hook knife so it wasn't really all that bad.
B.A.S.E. #1734