blue24

Injured on a night jump...Why?

Have you been hurt on a night jump. What caused the injury? Advice please...

Define injury. Scrape, ambulance, medevac?

There are greater risks by jumping at night, but those can be mitigated with proper planning and good execution.

Night jumps can be some of the most memorable and scenic jumps in your career.

.....and let the Holy War begin on the value of night jumps and their requirement for a D license!

Jump more, post less!

Have you been hurt on a night jump. What caused the injury? Advice please...

Nope never have, and I've done LOTS of 'em.

'...open parachute, land on planet' pretty much the same as daytime, 'cept it's dark out! ;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Actually, my night jump was a pretty nice landing... all things considered.

Only light I could see was at the turn in point... couldn't see the trees vs the sky, just black.

"Keep your feet and knees together, you'll be fine" seems to have payed off (atleast under a T-10 out of a C-130)
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Up until last year I had more night jumps than day jumps. (250-300) (yes, skydives from aircraft).

You ever get over being scared and start opening your eyes on them day jumps? :o
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

Up until last year I had more night jumps than day jumps. (250-300) (yes, skydives from aircraft).

You ever get over being scared and start opening your eyes on them day jumps? :o

Myself and 4 friends were all skydivers and commercial pilots in training, we had a Helicopter, 2 luscombs, a C206, a cherokee, a pawnee, 2 supercubs, a twin commanche, and a Citabria. The only ones that we rented were the Helicopter and the Cherokee.

The airport we all learned at did not allow parachute ops, so we jumped at night, several times, every night for almost 2 years

-SPACE-

Just giving you some old Airborne shit about night jumps. Got almost a couple hundred myself. Military & civilian. Military night jumps were a PITA, but so contrastingly beautiful in the civilian world. My first screen name on here was "nightjumps."
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

No, it should be a requirement for a B or maybe C

I agree. At the B license level, most jumpers are still on fairly light wingloadings - ie canopies they can misjudge the flare on and still have a reasonably good landing. By the time someone is ready for a D license they are probably on a smaller, faster main that is less tolerant of less than perfectly timed flares. For a first landing in the dark, a more forgiving canopy is a good thing.

And having to "get it over" early is likely to breed more jumpers who love night jumps. :)

If night jumps to be requirement for b, then for d lincense i'd say flying minimum wingload 2.0 n dragging feet across the water.

Night jumps shouldn't be a requirement on anything.

Yeah! :)

...and we shouldn't learn how to spot, and let's pay people to pack our parachutes! B|

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

And having to "get it over" early is likely to breed more jumpers who love night jumps. :)

Or it can keep the goal oriented in the sport longer working towards their D. When I heard of night jumps I got excited, its now one of my goals. Granted I have to wait 4-5 years til, I can work on the other disciplines Im interested in the meantime until my full moon jumps. How pretty it will be.....:) Then I will only jump at night because daytime jumps will prove to be lame compared:ph34r:

Ill remember what you said about loading it lightly when that night comes, my brains temporal lobes work well.

I did my :D night skydive on jump 58. Flew a poor pattern and landed a good 300 yards away from the lit landing area. Flared too late and banged up my knee. Walked in, packed, and did a 2-way RW jump for my 2nd one on jump 59. Then I drank, and jumped normally the following weekend.

I still have a scar on that knee. Nice little reminder. Didn't do another planned night jump till 642, 643, and 644. Took so long because of circumstance; I was willing to do another night jump just a couple weeks after my "injury" when I got better at landing that canopy.

I'd have to go through my logbook for a while to count how many unplanned night jumps I might have made. I wanna do more, and I'm the guy at almost every boogie talking about night jumps, or any weekend when tandems are given rain checks because sunset showed up.

Brian

Yup.

First night jump (67th jump in total). Light ground winds, but the uppers had picked up considerably. Got put out over the top of the DZ for a 5 sec delay. After opening found DZ then took a bit longer than usual collapsing slider, wearing gloves, dark etc. Then unstowed my breaks and realised I was very far down wind of the DZ. Pointed canopy at DZ but had very little penetration. There was no moon, rural area so there were few ground lights and I had a really shitty torch so I couldn't see any outs and this was my first time at the DZ though I had done 6 jumps during the day there.
It was pitch black and I couldn't see any detail on the ground so I just kept flying towards the DZ as I knew there were plenty of fields surrounding it. As I got low I realised I was flying straight for a building, steered around it and began to flare when I impacted a barbed wire fence.
Injuries were a broken nose, a laceration across the bridge of my nose requiring 1 stitch and a sprained knee, so made a stop in at the hospital on the way to the pub.

have never been injured while doing a night jump.. nor have i ever done anything to cause injury to Others,,,, during a night jump.:| or on ANy skydive....( knock wood )

we did a LOT of them years ago.. at least once a month during the summer,,, and some of us would do 2 or 3 jumps each time...:)
careful attention to others in the air, good pattern flying and a decently lit landing area can all help insure safe night jumps...that and being somewhat conservative, under canopy...

i'd say i have between 25 and 30 night jumps in total. including my night scr jump in 1981 outta 2 cessnas,,,,B|
a bunch of 4 ways before then and a bunch of big ways after then, 12 way POPs night jump world record and then 14 way POPs at night.
i once filmed a reeeaaallll late sunset tandem which really was a night jump... but i... um.. ah.. let's see... YEAH !! i LOST the video of that one,,, oh well too bad so sad...

just DO it....;)

jimmy
POPS 3935
nscr1817

I've done 4 so far... two solo's and two two-ways. The view is spectacular. No injuries and since my depth perception isn't to great in the daytime, it's not much different in the dark. We try to do night jumps here every month in the summer, so hopefully I'll get a few more this summer.:)

"safety first... and What the hell.....
safety second, Too!!! " ~~jmy

POPS #10490

Just giving you some old Airborne shit about night jumps. Got almost a couple hundred myself. Military & civilian. Military night jumps were a PITA, but so contrastingly beautiful in the civilian world. My first screen name on here was "nightjumps."

doing it under the radar, never climbing to more than 3000 AGL (sometimes less than 300':)) doing two ways out of single place airplanesB|, using whatever gear we wanted. I luckily had friends that came from money, and liked to do fun things. It killed three of them in the last few years, flying airplanes. Only one was pilot error. But while it lasted, (And I will get it back) I had the keys and effectively unlimited fuel. to a skydive ship, an acro plane, two backcountry planes, and we could take the heli whenever as long as we reserved.

Sorry for going on, but I have the best two years any person can have, and I miss it. Fly free Heather, Dave, Alex, Nadia.

Bottom line, night jumps are so awesome because they remind you where you are more so than a day jump. They let you see the stars and the airplane disappear into blackness, (we used strobes and nav lights ALL the time. pinky promise).

Closest call we ever had was my friend with about 15 jumps almost landing inside jail fences. that could have been an issue, but he figured it out and landed on the runway. We jumped into parties, into stadiums, into anywhere that we could land on or in. Warm, Full moon nights were great. pulling low, doing stuff that a bunch of noob, semi-skilled Skydiving and BASE jumping teenagers do when they have a million dollars worth of flying machines at their fingertips.

And do you think it should be a D license requirement?

No, it should be a requirement for a B or maybe C. But that would be a whole new thread.

I like the way you think....the earlier the better.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239