mixedup

Where is summary of how to do basic free fall moves?

Hi,

Out of all the info available on freefall/skydiving I'm actually having trouble finding a simple summary of how to do the various free fall moves. Just the basics such as turns, forward loop, back loop, roll, getting back to belly from your back, tracking, delta, docking etc).

Anyone have a link to such a summary?

(of course the instructor is going to go through this stuff, but I'm too eager to have to wait this long to find out a bit more :P)
Parachutist Game IOS Android YouT

At this stage, you really should ask your own instructors how to do specific moves. Or rather, they'll tell you what specific moves to perform on each jump, and how.

There's multiple ways of how to turn for example, and you should stick to the way your instructors want you to turn, for now.

It's really good that you want to know stuff, but at the stage you're at, you should be getting info from your instructors not the 'net ;)

ciel bleu,
Saskia

you should be getting info from your instructors not the 'net

+1

The forums are an excellent source for gaining knowledge about regulations and general safety ideas. Specific freefall skills that can only be learned by attempting them and getting the appropriate feedback from an instructor who witnessed the attempt, are not.
For the same reason I jump off a perfectly good diving board.

But that's really basic stuff. I don't know if mixedup really meant that.

I know there are more advanced but still basic belly flying moves like the side-slide or things like that.
Is there an overview about these moves? Just basic moves beyond AFF-moves (barrel-roll, back-/front-loop)

There are some on YouTube (maybe the Airkix tunnel's channel?) with tunnel instructors showing good form, but you really will not need to know how to sideslide for AFF!

Still, for interest's sake. They're out there.
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

I had more in mind just the basic moves you do within the AFF course - so I was just search for techniques/tips/tricks regarding these moves - my thinking was it might be good to get all info available to complement what the instructor would tell me....cheers

my thinking was it might be good to get all info available to complement what the instructor would tell me....cheers

I don't think that's a good idea at all.
It's hard for Instructors to deal with people who think they already know it all. I wouldn't want you to try to do anything other than what I taught you to do...regardless of what you already know.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

yeah - I got that impression from the initial response - I've only jumped once so far so I'll take advice from those that have had several hundred % more experience than me...

btw - I did update by number of jumps from 0 to 1 after my first jump :)

Keep digging. Good luck, you'll need it.

It is indeed a pain as an instructor if novices think they know a lot about things before getting proper instruction. If a novice gets obsessive and starts practicing techniques without understanding the details, it makes it tougher to untrain them later.

So anyone asking questions here about basic techniques gets shot down and told to ask their instructor.

Yet in other activities in life, one is allowed to read up first.

If I wanted to learn to sail or motorcycle, I'd hate it if those who knew how to do those things, acted as if the techniques were all the private rituals of a secret society...

So, are there any good summaries out there?

The Canadian Sport Parachuting Association doesn't have their basic freefall skills manual (PIM2A) online for nonmembers. The British Para. Assoc has some manuals online for canopy flight and more advanced freefall skills, but not the basic stuff. The USPA's Skydivers Information Manual is online but is huge and perhaps a little baffling to a novice. Lots of good info but not designed to teach the basic maneuvers without an instructor around.

Well, there are the previews of "Parachuting: The Skydivers Handbook" in google books:
http://books.google.com/books?id=1jDqpK2HlxYC&lpg=PP1&dq=parachuting%20the%20skydivers%20handbook&pg=PA192#v=onepage&q=parachuting%20the%20skydivers%20handbook&f=false

You can probably get some useful info from that, even if parts of it seem to be a little dated.

Here is the essential key to all the skills you are seeking:

Learn to RELAX.

I am not kidding. You will get lots more out of learning how to relax and use visualization, than you will get out of us telling you to move your arms and legs in certain ways.

The basic root of most AFF problems is lack of relaxation in freefall.

If you can learn to smile, breathe, and relax.... The rest will be easy.
The choices we make have consequences, for us & for others!

As an Instructor in the Orlando tunnel I tell people everyday "Don't overthink anything. It's like teaching someone to swim before ever putting them in the water. It's all just theory until you get in the wind and put it into practice, at which point you'll have a hundred more questions than before you started."

Get a good coach and trust their experience.

In addition, you're going to learn things in a building block style so trying to understand/learn move C that uses move a and move b will just cause you to feel overwhelmed. Also, the way you do some moves will be tweaked slightly as you progress.

For example a swoop to dock consists of level adjustment and forward motion and is initially taught as a series of stair steps using faster fall rate then forward motion then faster fall rate then forward motion to finally arrive at the dock. After a couple of jumps we work on smoothing that out so that you are doing the level adjustment and forward motion at the same time. But until you can do the level adjustment and forward motion on their own, you are unlikely to be able to do a swoop to dock.

There are some on YouTube (maybe the Airkix tunnel's channel?) with tunnel instructors showing good form, but you really will not need to know how to sideslide for AFF!

Haven't found anything yet. Any suggestions? I'm looking for more advanced free fall skills (beyond what is thought in AFF) but still kind of basic. No freefly-moves like headdown, sitfly and so on. More like side-slide (mentioned above) or the circling around another person.

Haven't found anything yet. Any suggestions? I'm looking for more advanced free fall skills (beyond what is thought in AFF) but still kind of basic. No freefly-moves like headdown, sitfly and so on. More like side-slide (mentioned above) or the circling around another person.

Even the best videos on youtube about that are just going to be drops in the bucket compared to an actual coach for a couple jumps. Seeing is one thing, feeling is another, and if you're trying to do them solo, you're never going to know if you're doing them right... so you should just jump with atleast a stable coach (I say stable because believe it or not, people aren't always neutral and stable, just ask any tunnel instructor about the skydivers first flights in the tunnel;) )
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

But I jump at a very small DZ, so it's hard to find a good coach.
With some video-instruction (or text book instruction) I can try it by myself and if I think it works I can try with some other jumper (no coach), just to have someone as a visual reference.

I did that with side-slides last weekend and it worked pretty good.

But I jump at a very small DZ, so it's hard to find a good coach.
With some video-instruction (or text book instruction) I can try it by myself and if I think it works I can try with some other jumper (no coach), just to have someone as a visual reference.

I did that with side-slides last weekend and it worked pretty good.

What about a trip to a tunnel just to have someone work with you on the basics? Then you can go practice them in the sky and at least have a good foundation to work from? I think Germany has at least one really good tunnel and I'm pretty sure we covered side slides, forward and backward movement, and levels in my first 15 minutes of tunnel time when I went at around 30 jumps.

One learning aid that can be quite useful is the little articulated model that artists use. It's not always easy to work out what's happening from a video but you can put the wooden model in the same body position and work out how the airflow would move a body when it's held in that shape.

It's low tech but as a tunnel flyer I've found the model pretty useful for working out what's happening and how to make things happen.
Anne

Here is the essential key to all the skills you are seeking:

Learn to RELAX.

I am not kidding. You will get lots more out of learning how to relax and use visualization, than you will get out of us telling you to move your arms and legs in certain ways.

The basic root of most AFF problems is lack of relaxation in freefall.

If you can learn to smile, breathe, and relax.... The rest will be easy.

Did my AFF stage 5! Got let go for the first time...very cool. i was stable overall but I was feeling some amount of small wobbling, and I was noticing one leg go up a little high and then the other. Not sure if this minor wobbling is normal or just me as a learner?