holie

Anyone a Cessna 172 Rocket (210hp) running as jumpship?

Hi out there,

has or had anyone a Cessna 172 Rocket (210hp) running as jumpship?
All details and experiences are welcome.
- Passenger 3?
- Altitude 10k or higher?
- Time to climb?
- Fuel flow each climb?
- with door removed or jumpdoor?

Many thanks
Holger

I think this is a great idea for a single tandem master operation with handycam. Just have the O-320 or an O-360 parallel valve tuned up at Lycon, graphic engine monitor with fuel flow, Seaplane fixed pitch prop, Sportsman and Wing-X STOl. After the initial investment this plane shouldn't ask for much labor or money and climb strong. Barron Aviation in Hannibal Mo has a 172 Jump ship. Dont know the details on it.

I jumped from a Rheims Rocket - at Bad Tolz - during the mid-1980s, so you should be able to find a few old jump-pilots who are familiar with Rheims Rockets.
They are almost as productive as Cessna 182s, but you have to be careful about over-loading them. Maybe four skydivers, with a light fuel load ...

Unfortunately, the Rheims Rocket was never sold in North America. However, there are several after-market Supplementary Type Certificates to install larger engines in Cessna 172s. Most of those STCs were aimed at the float plane market.
For example, the up-engined Cessna 172 - that I jumped from in Puerto Rico - routinely carried four skydivers to 7,200 feet MSL.