Cinders

I wish there was one specific way to learn sitfly

Man, I get vastly different advice from every coach and freeflier. Makes it a bitch to improve. Feet under, feet out front, stand up, hunch more, arms at 90 degrees, arms straight out, arms behind you, feet behind your head, etc.

lol, I'll be a master of all forms by time I get comfortable

I agree. I'm still learning and trying to soak it in but have heard incredibly different techniques. and some that totally contradict one another.

It would be great if there was a standardized progression but it probably just comes down to each instructors individual technique

You just have to find what works for you. I jump with some incredible freefier's and have pretty much gotten the same advice, but what works for some may not work for others. The advice I got was, all paraphrased... push heels down and out, this will help with getting your legs where they need to be,(this helped me because I seemed to keep my feet tucked under my ass), I also had a tendency to get the leg out signal in AFF A LOT, if your arms are straight and back your chest will be pushed forward, try it on the couch... The majority of FF I've talked to say arms should be at 90, which seems hard to do even for the people that say do that. back straight if not slightly arched back, so you don't backslide. and of course never cork out, go to back flying if you are unstable. While I don't consider myself an expert in any means, I think I progressed pretty quickly with the help of many great fliers. try and get some video to see what makes you unstable... I know you want a straight--- Ok arch and push your hips out answer, but FF'ing is more difficult than that. Stick with it and there will be one jump that it just all of a sudden clicks, and you'll say, Why the hell didn't I get that right away... ;):D Good luck.

I'm not the rope totin charlie Bronson wanna be that's getting us fucking lost.

Stick with it and there will be one jump that it just all of a sudden clicks, and you'll say, Why the hell didn't I get that right away... ;):D Good luck.

This X1000

The same exact thing happened to me. I couldn't sit for the life of me my first couple of tries. But after about my 5th or 6th attempt i was able to hold the sit for almost the entire jump. Since then i've been able to hold a stable sit and even maneuver a bit in the air when i sit fly. I certainly have a lot more learning to go but i love doing it. Just keep practicing and do what works for you.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, all used up, and loudly proclaiming: Wow, what a ride!

Man, I get vastly different advice from every coach and freeflier. Makes it a bitch to improve. Feet under, feet out front, stand up, hunch more, arms at 90 degrees, arms straight out, arms behind you, feet behind your head, etc.

What quality of freefliers and coaches are you asking? I've found that if you talk to the kind of people with a history of competing at a high level, the kind of people you might see invited to record attempts etc. you'll get very consistent advice and coaching about how to develop a stable, manouverable, versatile 'core' body position.

OTOH, if you talk to people not at that level, you might hear outmoded advice about older techniques that may seem superficially easier but will actually make it more difficult for you to progress beyond falling straight down the tube.

I'm not at all qualified to give any specific advice, but I will say that some of the advice you say you've been given does not sound (to me) consistent with good, modern freefly coaching.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

I wished in one hand and shit in the other. Guess which filled up first ?

Noobies complaining that they have bad coaches and can't learn things instantly. Nothing new there...:S

Don't be a troll, m8.

Anyway, no I'm a stable sitflier, but I went thru a couple of coaches, just got a high end coach recently that set me to working on feet under butt as a rule.

He left, now back with another jumper, who is not wanting to move forward until I get the "chair" position perfect.

Then my other buddy is a "you need to be standing straight up and down" (I'm guessing this isn't great advice, but he probably has a plan or progression in mind)

On the good side, I can sitfly stable in about 3 different positions now, no corking for this cat :)

Just want to move forward, tired of going back to the drawing board.

Not pointing fingers at any coaches, but it would interesting if someone developed different styles for different body types to learn on. I'm dense as a brick and fall fast, I'd be interested in a slower style, while a skinny person would prefer a faster.

Oh well, not a biggie. I'm still jumping out of a plane

He wasn’t being a troll. He was telling it like it is.

If you want to learn sit flying learn to belly fly well first. Learn to feel the air and how it affects your body in flight. People who try to learn sit flying before becoming competent belly flyers will increase their learning x 2 at least.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

It can be frustrating... My best advice is "90's"

When starting to learn keep everything below the waist at 90 degrees: hips, knees, feet/ankles. Keep your arms in what ever position is comfortable for you. The only time I bend or put my elbows at 90 or more degrees is if I really want to speed up in my sit or for taking docks. You will eventually find that it is much better to make your sit 'smaller' to speed up or catch up than it is to stand.

Learning how to move forward is also important to learn early on. Keep your arms straight and put them just behind you, then bring your knees a bit closer together and put your feet out in front of your knees, this will give you forward motion while facing forward. Learning how to 'side-slide' is also a great way to gain horizontal distance but that is something best learned later on.

I used to be anti-tunnel, but I've learned that it is a great tool for learning how to be precise in your sit. Also, tunnel coaches will rarely lead you astray with their advice. So, if you have access to a tunnel it is $ well spent in perfecting your sit.

Good luck!
*I am not afraid of dying... I am afraid of missing life.*
----Disclaimer: I don't know shit about skydiving.----

Thanks, m8. The 90 degree SEEMS like it would be a good learning start. I was having hell trying to keep my heels under my butt, anyway :)

Ok, here's another question: turning. I've been told to angle my leg, lower my leg, hook my leg further out from the hip.

Now, I realize they all WORK, but I'm looking for the simplest way, and going to have to stick to my guns with the coaches.

My last 2 coached jumps were working on a straight back, while the coach before that wanted a pushed-forward chest with shoulders back.

Wish I could get the same coach everytime, but you know how it is, they're either off, at an event, etc.

Probably like learning belly flying. Lots of different pointers, sometimes confusing, but after enough jumps trying, it comes out in the wash.

Thanks for the advice all (except the trolls, nobody loves you, lol) :)

Just do it.:)Put your body in the position it needs to be to do what you want to do. In other words.... teach yourself how to fly and learn how to learn. Thinking legs this or chest that all the time is not as effective as thinking "relax, smile, be natural, aware, calm, in control."

Ever notice that the people who are great at this stuff seem to be barely moving, making it all look easy and graceful?

It can be frustrating... My best advice is "90's"

When starting to learn keep everything below the waist at 90 degrees: hips, knees, feet/ankles. Keep your arms in what ever position is comfortable for you.
Good luck!

Technically you can't keep everything at 90 degrees perfectly.

If you notice anyone sitflying you can see how their arms and feet and the whole body is constantly moving and is never "stationary" perfect in 90 degrees..

Just like with everything else, you won't get it until it clicks and all the advice in the world can be useless, depending on the person.. just try and wait for it to click..
"All limits are self imposed." Icarus

That is complete bs, learning how to belly fy well will not make you faster learner at sit fly.
It will take 400 500 jumps to belly fly well than what???
They should've spent that 400 to 500 jumps on their head up flyig instead.
Freeflier only needs stable belly skill eough to pull.

Only people who says belly skill are important prior to sit flying are those who don't really freefly
Bernie Sanders for President 2016

That is complete bs, learning how to belly fy well will not make you faster learner at sit fly.
It will take 400 500 jumps to belly fly well than what???
They should've spent that 400 to 500 jumps on their head up flyig instead.
Freeflier only needs stable belly skill eough to pull.

Only people who says belly skill are important prior to sit flying are those who don't really freefly

And what type of flying does everyone do on every jump? The same type of flying sit flyers revert to when things turn to shit.
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

And what type of flying does everyone do on every jump? The same type of flying sit flyers revert to when things turn to shit.

I hope you're not suggesting that free fliers revert to belly when their dive goes to shit. Corking isn't a safe option.

The same type of flying sit flyers revert to when things turn to shit.

Sounds like corking and that is not the right thing to do and will keep you out of any jumps that are more then two way.

The only belly flying on freefly jump should be tracking and then deploying.

I also hope you're not talking about people going to a sit. That would be bad, very bad.
Although, I will admit that when a belly jump I was on went to hell, I accidentally went to a sit to get stable. :ph34r: I got back into the round after that though!
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Thanks, m8. The 90 degree SEEMS like it would be a good learning start. I was having hell trying to keep my heels under my butt, anyway :)

Ok, here's another question: turning. I've been told to angle my leg, lower my leg, hook my leg further out from the hip.

Turning is easy once you get the rest stable. It'll just come to you.
*I am not afraid of dying... I am afraid of missing life.*
----Disclaimer: I don't know shit about skydiving.----