blue24

Lowest altitude you've pulled at?

Under a main - a couple "planned" hop & pops about 1700, jumping a round, back in the 70s at a certain DZ in Upstate New York, where there's lots of overcast. Also an unplanned exit at the same DZ around 1700 when the plane lost oil pressure & the pilot gave us the choice to jump now or land with the plane. Nothing below 2,000 at terminal.

Under a reserve - sub-1,000, at terminal, on a round reserve after a total mal. Under canopy around 500.

Think of the children! :o

That's ONE way of looking at it I guess...on the other hand letting someone with 40, 50, 220 jumps know that you CAN get a parachute open even when the needle on the altimeter is between Oh Shit & You're Fucked...might keep them from just laying in the box position hoping the battery box is on.

AMEN, Ive never had a low open situation and hopefully I never will, but if I do you can be damned sure that I will do whatever I can do open my chute and not sit there and "hope" that my AAD works.

These sorts of threads always end up bringing out certain themes. There's the BASE jumps, not really intended for the thread. Then there are the one-upmanship stories of deliberate low pulls (I've got 'em too), the stories from the old days with faster opening canopies, and the stories about losing altitude awareness. The latter are probably the most instructive.

I agree, add to the list swapping between metric and imperial altimeters:$
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

on a skydive, between 400-500 feet, after cutting away from a stack and doing some rw with one of the other guys in the stack. We didn't plan on being that low, but once we were, we went for it. Don't really regret it....
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone

with awareness of what I was doing...about 1800ft trying to find some space after a biggish way that had no better break off plan than "its 4000ft ...save yourself!!"

without awareness, about a 1000ft, just off student status... taking a 3 way low waiting for the flailing 4th member to close those last couple of feet...:S I doubt 4 canopies have ever opened so close and not collided, due to no more than dumb luck.

regards, Steve
the older I get...the better I was

skydiving gear: 1,200 ft. Never heard my dytter, tracked way too long from a freefly jump. Was pretty dumb. Opened fast under the old PD 9Cell... Done a couple of hop n pops from 1,500 ft. Don't recommend it-if anything goes wrong with the main it gets ugly fast.

SL square: 1,250 ft exit, fully inflated canopy reaching for toggles at 1,000 ft after a slow as... opening.

SL round: 800ft exit, canopy fully open less than 50' later.

Base Freefall: exit at 250', threw PC as I stepped. Longest opening of my life :)

Base SL: exit somewhere b/t 150-170 ft. 4-5 sec canopy flight, and there are plenty of people who have been lower.

Docile canopies with good opening characteristics can open very, very low. It's good to know, not smart to test it. I like pulling around 3,500ft when I skydive. Way more room for error that way.

-Harry
"Sometimes you eat the bar,
and well-sometimes the bar eats you..."

500'

B|:)

Hey !! i believe i might have been THERE....to witness that..!!
or else ANOTHER opening... just like it..

Remember after you landed,, i said to you..
well YOU sure must NOT be using an AAD !!!.... ???

always best (IMHO ) to pull before you can HEAR someone from the ground !! yelling.. "PULL" !!!!!!;):P

jimmytavino

Static line from an aircraft, 800 feet. At least that's what they told us, since we didn't have altimeters.

Freefall, maybe 1,500 feet. We finally got altitude enough for a hop and pop, and decided to turn some points. Took a line (right hand to left leg grip of the guy ahead) off the step, after ballooning into the haze, at about 3,000 feet. Transitioned to a round on the hill, went to the donut, and tracked.

That was in the days of really fast opening parachutes and no AADs. Without turbines, altitude was dear.

Anyhow, one key to survival in the sport is what every horror movie aficianado knows - stay the hell out of the basement.

BSBD,

Winsor

1100 ft, on my last skydive ever without a pro-dytter (jump 130 or so)

I lost altitude awareness, and transitioned from a sit when I saw my friends opening parachutes...

I landed, white as a bedsheet, walked up to the dz manager and asked him : do you have any more of those dytters for sale? He smiled and said.. I was going to talk to you, but looking at your face and your reaction you know exactly what you did wrong don't you? Don't ever scare us like that again! >:(

I once threw out my pilotchute while standing on the ground. I am fairly certain that's the lowest pull of anyone anywhere. HA top that!!!!!!Cool

Anyone who's ever BASEd the Cave of Swallows beats you. They pulled under ground.

:P
Owned by Remi #?

I used to pull regularly on wingsuit jumps lower than I'll admit here, back then my highest pulls were 1500'. I changed that habit after a PC in tow. Fortunately I had pulled high at 1800' because I wasn't at a local DZ and wanted to be cautious. :P

I pull higher now. :)

Sometimes you eat the bear..............

I once threw out my pilotchute while standing on the ground. I am fairly certain that's the lowest pull of anyone anywhere. HA top that!!!!!!Cool

Anyone who's ever BASEd the Cave of Swallows beats you. They pulled under ground.

:P

I've got about 40 pulls in the basement... -12' AGL

Rigging loft in the basement :P
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Lowest? Almost too low two times.

Once on a strato-star 5 cell with a 15 second ride.

Second on a subterminal cutaway at about 700' on a very snively Swift 5 cell reserve with about a 10~15 second ride.

Both stupid. [:/]

There have been other times low, but not with such ground rush as you look from chute to ground hoping it opens in time....

We saw a friend (RIP) go past the roof of the hangar (looking upwards over it) with nothing out.

IIRC it was around 1988

I can't say for sure how low that was but is was so freaking low everyone ran to the other side to see if he was dead.

He was walking with his canopy over his shoulder.

He had a T-shirt with his FAA violation on the back of it from another occasion.