blue24

Lowest altitude you've pulled at?

Probably about 16-1800. But that was in the 1970's, when canopies opened faster. Since we pulled a 4-way off the step of a Cessna at about 2200 (when we started the climb-out), it can't have been any higher than that.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Ten years ago- 1,100 feet as a new videographer filming a friend’s 100th jump and wanting to film him getting “sharked”. Fortunately, I was jumping a Sabre I, which opened quickly. I beat my Cypres and learned a big lesson about being distracted when filming.

What is the lowest altitude you have ever pulled at?

On purpose...1000' (+/-) quite a few times when I was young & dumb.

By accident...about 500', lost altitude awareness playing with a streamer back in the 70's.

Made an emergency exit once at about 900', was in the saddle under a reserve by 700'.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

These sorts of threads always end up bringing out certain themes. There's the BASE jumps, not really intended for the thread. Then there are the one-upmanship stories of deliberate low pulls (I've got 'em too), the stories from the old days with faster opening canopies, and the stories about losing altitude awareness. The latter are probably the most instructive.

True. I have a couple of Bridge Day jumps I didn't think mattered WRT this thread. The lowest pull I mentioned above was because I had made 2 attempts to locate my hackey, failed, and then decided to try one more time before going for my reserve.

It was a very conscious decision. I made my second try at 2200 and felt it was worth a third at that altitude.
Owned by Remi #?

These sorts of threads always end up bringing out certain themes. There's the BASE jumps, not really intended for the thread. Then there are the one-upmanship stories of deliberate low pulls (I've got 'em too), the stories from the old days with faster opening canopies, and the stories about losing altitude awareness. The latter are probably the most instructive.

Yup...losing altitude awareness scared the bravado low-pull bullshit right out of ME! :D

An extremely valuable lesson learned the hard way, I've made a point to never lose that awareness again! :)

1,500 ft.
Because of heavy cloud cover, the plane did only make it to 1,600 ft. Even a C182 gets to THAT altitude fast!

But note that exiting at 1,600 ft and beginning to accelerate is a whole different beast than falling thru 1,600 ft at terminal velocity!

Pulled at 1,900ft on a balloon jump was opened at 1,540 deliberately pulled at that altitude and packed/rolled the nose less to have it open faster.
For info regarding lift ticket prices all around the world check out
http://www.jumpticketprices.com/dropzones.asp

thanks for writing that post...the latter is indeed what people should be made aware of instead of focusing on the pissing contest of "look at how cool i am for pulling super low"
we did a ballon jump at easter time and one older guy with a middle age crisis bragged about how low he pulled, if we saw him and that he actually pulled at 3k but held the PC in hand until 1800. No one thought it was cool, because it wasnt.

PS: same goes about how many jumps in day. we have all seen teams exiting early at 10k, landing, dropping the rig on the packer's mat, picking up their second rig and getting on a new plane all day long. Is it cool to do 20 jumps in a day if by the 10th you're too tired to focus on flying properly both your body and then your canopy? what does it prove?

How fast can I pack my canopy is yet another such topic.

what will be next? How much alcohol I had in my system/how hangover I was when doing the first jump of day?

Edit to add: considering the OP has 40 jumps, jumpers with more experience should refrain from giving newbies those type of data that can only motivate someone, someday to show that he/she can do it too.

What is the lowest altitude you have ever pulled at?

300ft, but I already had my 48'' PC in the hand on exit :P

PuSsIeS BiG! if you can go, STOW!!! :P
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

thanks for writing that post...the latter is indeed what people should be made aware of instead of focusing on the pissing contest of "look at how cool i am for pulling super low"
we did a ballon jump at easter time and one older guy with a middle age crisis bragged about how low he pulled, if we saw him and that he actually pulled at 3k but held the PC in hand until 1800. No one thought it was cool, because it wasnt.

PS: same goes about how many jumps in day. we have all seen teams exiting early at 10k, landing, dropping the rig on the packer's mat, picking up their second rig and getting on a new plane all day long. Is it cool to do 20 jumps in a day if by the 10th you're too tired to focus on flying properly both your body and then your canopy? what does it prove?

How fast can I pack my canopy is yet another such topic.

what will be next? How much alcohol I had in my system/how hangover I was when doing the first jump of day?

Edit to add: considering the OP has 40 jumps, jumpers with more experience should refrain from giving newbies those type of data that can only motivate someone, someday to show that he/she can do it too.

Up tight much?

...considering the OP has 40 jumps, jumpers with more experience should refrain from giving newbies those type of data that can only motivate someone, someday to show that he/she can do it too.

Think of the children! :o

That's ONE way of looking at it I guess...on the other hand letting someone with 40, 50, 220 jumps know that you CAN get a parachute open even when the needle on the altimeter is between Oh Shit & You're Fucked...might keep them from just laying in the box position hoping the battery box is on.

Way back when, I used to LO at Skydive Arizona. We did a 4 way. Totally uneventful until break off at 4,000ft. One of the guys goes right on his back and collides with another. I see all of this out of the corner of my eye as I start tracking and turn to watch the carnage.
One guy tracks away fine, but the other guy is on his back spinning wildly. So I go into a head down to catch him, thinking he is unconcious. Just as I get to him he pullls on his back. That was an opening I will never forget. Dramatic and painfull for him, but he lived.
I pitch and check my altitude. 900 feet.
What a dumb ass.:P
All friendship now ends at 2,000 feet.

So Bryan Burke comes over in the old white van to pick us up. He yells at the dude for going on a jump. I guess he was banned from the DZ and no one told me, or manifest.:S

Lesson learned.B|

Almost exactly the same thing happened to me at Rantoul one year. Except she never recovered, I pulled for her, and fortunately opened above 2. Found out later she was recovering from a serious brain injury and her boyfriend had just "dropped her off" at the organizer's tent without telling anyone (and she hadn't mentioned it.) They hightailed it out of there before anyone else could talk to them.

I dont remember what the altitude was, but I was in the saddle at about 700 feet under my main, all because I fought to get my leg strap cinched tight. I found it flopping about after breakoff. It had been pulled all the way out to the end after getting hung up on the guy in front of me on exit (floaters). That was before my Cypres days though. I shook it off and went right back up. Told my girlfriend (now wife) about it afterwards. She completely freaked the fuck out. Whuffo, even though she'd done two tandems! :S

"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I was under canopy 1500-1800'. Lost altitude awareness. Jump #9, second jump without an instructor. my rental rig didn't have an AAD. I'm not bragging at all. I felt like an idiot the whole day and got yelled at on the ground by an instructor after landing.