airtwardo

Demo 'close call' ?

• A crisis was thankfully averted when four skydivers from Skydive Utah narrowly missed knocking over some of the 720 Stadium of Fire dancers.

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/52121381-78/stadium-fire-paisley-american.html.csp

Glad no one was hurt.

Anybody know what happened?

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

On a side note, whoever programmed the music before the concert should recognize that Bryan Adams’ “Summer of ’69” song is not family-friendly. And why did the night’s prelude to its impressive fireworks focus on a definitely-not-family-friendly Katy Perry?

HELL-O U-TAH! It's the 21st century calling!
It's all been said before, no sense repeating it here.

On a side note, whoever programmed the music before the concert should recognize that Bryan Adams’ “Summer of ’69” song is not family-friendly. And why did the night’s prelude to its impressive fireworks focus on a definitely-not-family-friendly Katy Perry?

HELL-O U-TAH! It's the 21st century calling!

Quite right, what is wrong with the summer of '69 song? I just looked at the lyrics, and don't see a problem.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

• A crisis was thankfully averted when four skydivers from Skydive Utah narrowly missed knocking over some of the 720 Stadium of Fire dancers.

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/52121381-78/stadium-fire-paisley-american.html.csp

Glad no one was hurt.

Anybody know what happened?

Anyone know what canopies they were jumping? Big-ass traditional demo canopies or high-performance canopies?
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Anyone know what canopies they were jumping? Big-ass traditional demo canopies or high-performance canopies?

So what if it was "high-performance" canopies - would that automatically mean that it was the canopies that were responsible for whatever happened? Does that automatically mean that whatever happened would not have happened if the canopies had been bigger?

Since nothing yet is known about what happened, I think it's premature to start going after everyone's favorite boogieman: high-performance canopies.

Most demos that I have observed were reasonably tight (probably why a pro rating? required). No collisions apparently occurred and no one injured. It may be just the media filling space in the report or just being uninformed about the nature of demos. (Not unheard of)

God god! She asked a simple question! What is your problem?

I just asked simple questions also. And made a simple statement. Certainly then, you can understand them.

I don't have a problem with NWFlyer at all. In fact, I actually like her from what I read of her here. And that new avatar photo of herself is hot!

But if we're going to start asking speculative questions about potential causes for the near mishap, then let us not stop with just canopy types.

What was the weather like?
How high were the winds, and from what direction?
How was the spot?
How big was the landing area?
What were the experience levels?
Was there a ground crew?
Were they towing any flags or banners?
Were they wearing smoke?
What obstacles were there on the landing approach?
What were the "outs"?
Were they distracted by scantily clad fire dancers?

Any number of things, or combination thereof, could be responsible for the problem. There's no need to pick out one thing to focus upon at this time, since as yet, no facts are yet known to point in any particular direction.

Here's a picture of one of the jumpers. I'd say he's flying a canopy in the "big-ass" category.
It's all been said before, no sense repeating it here.

Like someone said above, it was likely just interpreted as a close call by a reporter who thinks landing within a hundred feet of the show is dangerous.......So four canopies landed near 720 " FIRE DANCERS" and not one mention of a canopy catching on fire.....Doesn't sound like a close call to me,,,,,[:/]

Life is short ... jump often.

Like someone said above, it was likely just interpreted as a close call by a reporter who thinks landing within a hundred feet of the show is dangerous.......So four canopies landed near 720 " FIRE DANCERS" and not one mention of a canopy catching on fire.....Doesn't sound like a close call to me,,,,,[:/]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfY-8CH0DK0

Well...it could have been worse.

I would like to point out for the demo jumpers that are interested, THAT is why I always tell people to weight the leading edge of the flag and pad it. If there would have been a suspended weight swinging under that... it may have been a different story.

It looked like a good approach until the lip of the stadium, my guess is the 'toilet bowl' effect you sometimes get from an enclosed park like that got him, looks like the canopy attitude changed without input.

I would like to point out for the demo jumpers that are interested, THAT is why I always tell people to weight the leading edge of the flag and pad it. If there would have been a suspended weight swinging under that... it may have been a different story.

+1

He looked like he was coming in pretty hot.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Check out this vid, at about 2 min...looks like the biplane is sinking it in to the stadium, almost a bit too much for the lower canopy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkWViyqFSq4&feature=related
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

It looked like a good approach until the lip of the stadium, my guess is the 'toilet bowl' effect you sometimes get from an enclosed park like that got him, looks like the canopy attitude changed without input.

Was this the jump in question ? Wish the camera was just a little steadier in the transition point of the loss of altitude. I think we've all felt like we were dropping from the sky on some landings ( lift just disappears )....no way he did a front riser dive.....but the vid gets funny at that point.

Life is short ... jump often.

Was this the jump in question ? Wish the camera was just a little steadier in the transition point of the loss of altitude. I think we've all felt like we were dropping from the sky on some landings ( lift just disappears )....no way he did a front riser dive.....but the vid gets funny at that point.

Yes I believe it is, in the very beginning you can kinda see a smaller canopy by the far wall near the 'fire girls'...I'm guessing THAT was what the article was referring to.

Check out this vid, at about 2 min...looks like the biplane is sinking it in to the stadium, almost a bit too much for the lower canopy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkWViyqFSq4&feature=related

That video is of the Golden Knights. You noticed they were able to put a 2 stack in the middle and both did stand ups. Using the right tools always works better.

Sparky

http://i397.photobucket.com/albums/pp55/mjosparky/PICT0612.jpg
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals