peek

"Drugs and alcohol", letter in June 2011 Parachutist

Should I want to kill or hurt myself skydiving, I think I'm perfectly capable of achieving that on my own without anybody's help, so anything that would impair my reaction speed or my powers of observation is NOT on the diet when I'm throwing myself at the planet, aiming to miss - or at least land softly.

If need be, I'll bring my own lunch therefore.

Even birds know instinctively that flying - when intoxicated - is a stupid plan :S

Intoxicating others with recreational drugs without their knowledge, let alone their consent, is a both despicable and criminal. >:(

If it happened 'unwillingly' it is at least downright stupid and there is not much place for stupidity either, on your average dropzone...

"Whoever in discussion adduces authority uses not intellect but memory." - Leonardo da Vinci
A thousand words...

As for the chick that wrote the artical...what a dork! grow up

I'm hoping you are not serious. Someone that uses a drug without their knowledge is going to think they are getting sick. That would be scary. And what if their job required drug testing and they failed a test because of an accident like that? That would be awful too.

My point in making the original post was that I would hope that people would be very careful with their drugs when in that form.

(BTW, I am not anti-drug. That would make me a bit of a hypocrite considering my earlier years.)

...not to mention possible drug interaction with legal scripts a person mauy be on.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

True enough, but I would really like the discussion to expand to be more about jumpers watchdogging each other, and all of us creating a culture of zero tolerance during jump hours.

A DZO can drug test all his/her instructors, but if exp'd jumpers are using during daytime hours, well... Tandems aren't the ones going in with canopy collisions and low turns - we are.

I would guess each of us know people who use on our drop zones. It's up to each of us to say, "Dude, you're high, don't get on this plane," or to tell the DZO or manifester, "this guy is stoned out of his gourd, don't let him jump." (Yep, be a freakin' tattle tale.) Or, to scratch off a load where someone is visibly tweaked, thereby yanking your $25 until the whole load is clean.

I brought my situation to light because, admittedly, it has huge shock value. Ironically, my father (music business) was slipped acid in the 70s and had a similar experience. This s**t has been happening for a long time and will happen again somehwere, someday. But it is not the rule and, frankly, I am more concerned with some dumbass who just took a pill or whatever smacking into me under canopy and taking me out (or smacking into one of my friends under canopy and taking him/her out) than I am with ever erroneously eating someone's laced cookies again...

guess my question is, for anyone who wants to answer: what can we do to make sure people go up in tiptop mental and physical condition, and not intoxicated at all??? Thoughts?

Meryl

guess my question is, for anyone who wants to answer: what can we do to make sure people go up in tiptop mental and physical condition, and not intoxicated at all??? Thoughts?

Firstly, what happened to you would be pretty unusual, I would think, and while there are prolly people around who are mixing intoxicants and skydiving, I'm not sure its prevalent on many DZ's. during operations.

People are usually pretty good at covering their tracks, so it might be pretty difficult to do much about, unless someone is obviously under the influence. Then I think it is fair to speak to them first, and take it further if necessary.

You can only be vigilant up to a point. If its blatant and nothing is done, time to find a new DZ. If anyone who is dealing with students are involved, it has to be stopped, right there and then, however you do it.

The effects of intoxicants are increased if we travel to altitude in an aircraft.

There can be no compromises if safety is at risk.
My computer beat me at chess, It was no match for me at kickboxing....

I brought some cookies to the dropzone, and after explaining what all was in the cookies, I was asked specifically if there was pot in them. I made sure to label my batches very well, and didn't bring the "laced" cookies to the DZ with me until after last load. Mmm, double-stuf oreos baked into chocolate chip cookie dough with a marshmellow baked into the top... with weed... MMMmmm.

my gadddz! I am licenced by my government to be treated with oral medical weed capsules. So many healthy benefits like anti-inflamatory, weight gain, no nausea or diareah, treat pain, stress.:P

Eating a weed cookie "laced" will not have any serious after effects compared to other drugs-
People deserve respect and it's only decent to be responsible enough to make people aware before they eat laced food.

Also like to bake cookies with the liquid medical drug. Re: eating for the personal medical benefits, not to get high.

eustress. : a positive form of stress having a beneficial effect on health, motivation, performance, and emotional well-being.

Eating a weed cookie "laced" will not have any serious after effects compared to other drugs-
People deserve respect and it's only decent to be responsible enough to make people aware before they eat laced food.

No. What you mean to say is that FOR YOU, eating a weed cookie "laced" will not have any serious after effects compared to other drugs. You do not speak for everyone. Please do not get caught up thinking that marijuana is harmless for EVERYONE. It's not. For some people, the consequences of marijuana use will be just as severe as the consequences of heroin use.

I know that you acknowledge that people should not be surprised by what they eat. That is a good thing. :)
But know that your right to use ends where my right to not use begins.

No. What you mean to say is that FOR YOU, eating a weed cookie "laced" will not have any serious after effects compared to other drugs. You do not speak for everyone. Please do not get caught up thinking that marijuana is harmless for EVERYONE. It's not. For some people, the consequences of marijuana use will be just as severe as the consequences of heroin use.

I know that you acknowledge that people should not be surprised by what they eat. That is a good thing. :)
But know that your right to use ends where my right to not use begins.

Agreed. So many jobs require random drug tests (far, far more than have a shred of decency; but that's a separate thread...) - and almost everyone who's on criminal-court probation these days gets tested, too - upon pain of prison for a hot urine - that you could seriously ruin somebody's life by spiking their food.

Drugs are prevalent EVERYWHERE...this whole situation and letter have been given much more attention than warranted. Meryl is a self described journalist who apparently subscribes to the tabloid school of check facts only if absolutely necessary, and writing to the audience. On her facebook page there were several postings of the fun she had from the high. What I have found while travelling to various dropzones is a huge increase in safety over the years. LESS drug use by far than 20 years ago. More people watching out for others. More safety classes. More gear checks ( which should include reporting alcohol on breath) We all know you can't fix stupid. I have lost friends over the years from the bad choices they have made both sober and high. Skydiving is no place for drug use and certainly someone elses bad choice can kill others. Meryl obviously did not think out the consequences of her little tirade on the dz from throwing out her elaborate story. And Shame on Parachutist for publishing this without fact checking of their own. I will continue to jump at the drop zone in question. Their planes, pilots and and attention to detail are obvious to anyone who has been there. Meryl has stated that she doesn't intend to return there, which in my opinion makes it a much safer place to jump. I often wondered if she was high when she obtained her nickname of speed bump. ( not the first, second, but the third time she wandered in front of a plane coming in on approach)
Oh and Meryl....are you quite sure that the drop zone where you are currently jumping is so very much better than those you disparage. I think not, but it may be the only one that will have you after your lame attempt at 15 minutes of fame