scratch69

Dropzone Politics

Or jump at a multitude of DZ's so that you don't see the politics.

That works if it's an activity, not if it's a lifestyle.

Unless your 'lifestyle' involves income, I'm not seeing the distinction.

You take as much crap in a leisure activity as you choose to. I don't know who's screwing who and I just don't care. I'm there to jump, right?

It's a community.

It's the difference between being involved in your neighborhood watch and just living in a house in a neighborhood.

The face of skydiving has changed. There are now people who go to the dz, jump, and leave. They are not part of the life that is the dropzone.

If that's what you choose, it's fine, but in that case, you're not a skydiver, you are merely someone who skydives.

rl
If you don't know where you're going, you should know where you came from. Gullah Proverb

>Are you there for fun, or for gossip sessions and trash talk

Some are there for both; some for one or the other. Decide what you are there for and act accordingly.

When I was chief instructor at Brown, I had to listen to a lot of monotonous shit from everyone - from the camera people, from the rigger, from the DZO, from the TM's. After a while we established the five-minute rule - you could only bitch about the DZO or the rigger for five minutes, then you had to stop. Helped a lot.

The face of skydiving has changed. There are now people who go to the dz, jump, and leave. The are not part of the life that is the dropzone.

If that's what you choose, it's fine, but in that case, you're not a skydiver, you are merely someone who skydives.

Summed up perfectly. Unfortunate but true, and now it's happening in BASE.[:/]
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

You can still be part of the community as a whole by jumping at multiple DZ's. You do not have to be part of the community by only jumping at one DZ.

Huh? A person who skydives is a skydiver so I'm unclear as to what you mean by this statement. Would you elaborate?
Life is short! Break the rules! Forgive quickly! Kiss slowly! Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably. And never regret anything that made you smile.

The face of skydiving has changed. There are now people who go to the dz, jump, and leave. The are not part of the life that is the dropzone.

Oh no! Not the old argument about who is a skydiver and who is not (or who is a BASE jumper and who is not)! :S

The face of skydiving has changed. There are now people who go to the dz, jump, and leave. They are not part of the life that is the dropzone.

I need to know the drama to be a skydiver?

Good elitism, but funny coming from someone whose profile contains absolutely no detail.

I got friends at 6 dropzones spanning nearly 500 miles of California. But they're not my only friends.

When I was chief instructor at Brown, I had to listen to a lot of monotonous shit from everyone - from the camera people, from the rigger, from the DZO, from the TM's. After a while we established the five-minute rule - you could only bitch about the DZO or the rigger for five minutes, then you had to stop. Helped a lot.

Now I understand why you do so well as a mod:ph34r: You are use to hearing people bitch.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

I put out a call to all jumpers . . . are your DZ's infested with bullshit politics, or am I just jumping at the wrong DZ??

While i definitely applaud your zeal in this area of DZ life, Like Lisa said, git over it. It's sad it's that way, but it is. It does keep me from jumping as much as i'd like to.

Good Luck, Take Care.
-Richard-
"You're Holding The Rope And I'm Taking The Fall"

I think of dropzone politics like politics in any part of your life. There will always be people who like to create drama around them. You can choose to indulge them, or not.:|
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

It's a community.

It's the difference between being involved in your neighborhood watch and just living in a house in a neighborhood.

rl

It may be a community but I know plenty of people who come for the day, hang out with friends, laugh, talk, and enjoy other people's company and then go home at night after jumping is over. They also refuse to get sucked into the politics of the DZ. And these are some very good SKYDIVERS.

To say that someone who participates in a sport is not an actual member of the sport simply because they don't want to put up with the crap that can go on is disrespectful to the time and money they have poured into it.
Why yes, my license number is a palindrome. Thank you for noticing.

Oh no! Not the old argument about who is a skydiver and who is not (or who is a BASE jumper and who is not)! :S

Semantics wasn't the point, Keely, although it seems it's what everyone wants to latch onto.

There was a time when skydiving was a lifestyle. It isn't anymore.

I remember a few years ago some guy made a post on r.s about going to the dz, making a few jumps and going home. He wasn't part of the life on the dz at all, and most of what he did were either coach jumps or solos. That's fine if that's what someone wants, but as I said, the face of skydiving has changed.

I remember one dz I jumped at for a time where everyone showed up for the weekend, jumped, sat around together Saturday night, went to sleep together in the hangar and the manifest, got up together Sunday, and jumped some more. On Sunday night, everyone went together to a local restaurant for dinner. Small, close-knit dz, and surprisingly little in the way of politics.

Given that there seem to be more factions on larger dzs where there's far less group activity to bind everyone together, maybe I'll just blame it on turbine aircraft. :|

rl
If you don't know where you're going, you should know where you came from. Gullah Proverb

Skydive AZ has very little politics between jumpers. Any person who acts like a Sky God pretty much gets put in their place very quickly and so jumping there is very enjoyable.

For a large dz, the number of true locals (those that live there) is quite small and the community is not judgemental - it is like a little family.

As far as managerial politics go, I have no idea.

Every dz has politics - some more/less than others.

Liz

Maybe its because im relatively new but I havent seen any politics at all. Saying that, Ive noticed that all the students seem to hang out together and the experienced people seem to hang out on their own too. BUT.... thats not really politics thats just natural. It takes time to interact with any group.

Certainly at the moment I go to the DZ to jump. Once ive jumped and watched a mate safely back to the packing shed too, I go home. Its important to have a life outside of a hobby too. (No matter how addictive or great it is) As soon as you commit to something and declare it as your lifestyle, thats when it becomes serious and not fun anymore.

Partly the reason why I gave up my old job as a race mechanic. I lived & breathed high octane fuel, and would swim in boring technical information of gear ratios and damping/rebound settings. Now I just go to watch the odd race.

Lesson learnt, dont ever let anything ruin something you enjoy. To me, I dont mind sitting outside the group if it means a stress free time jumping. It is my escape. Hopefully in time ,my jumping will do the talking and people will know me for that.

Its quite a small scene in the UK too with only about 20 DZs so as soon as im licenced Im gonna take a leaf out of the roamingdz gang and see what everywhere else has to offer. Ill always stay jumping predominantly where I am tho because thats very local to me (10 min drive) and where it all began! :)

Well being a community, I have found lots of the politics and gossip happening with the people who were sitting on the ground and not jumping as much as some others.
If I am really busy jumping on the weekend, I don't see or hear most of the BS happening.

I am at the DZ every weekend, all weekend.

There are lots of people who go to the DZ who love the social side and I have found that these are the troublemakers. They do one jump, drink too much, sleep with all and sundry and in general cause too much shit and then quit the sport in a few months.

There are the few regular jumpers that can get involved in the shit, but it is normally kept to a minimum.

The best was when there were 4 million roumors about me, I slept at a B&B in town and not on the DZ. Although people tried to say I was shagging everyone at the B&B, they could not substantiate it and it died down.

So you have a choice:
Jump lots and you won't have time for the gossip.
Don't sleep on the DZ and there will be no time for the gossip.

I have a place on the DZ where I can go to be alone, so when I don't feel like the crowds, i retire with my bed, TV and DVD's.
Pretty cool.

I think true friendship is under-rated

Twitter: @Dreamskygirlsa

Jump in the netherlands. Never had the problems with politics at any of the DZ's I've been to. Quite the opposite actually, they were the first DZ's I've ever been to and was sucked into the family from the minute I walked in. I was never shunned, ignored, or left hanging out in the packing area alone. Awsome experience and I now go back every year just for the people. I'm sure there are politics going on (another DZ opened up on the same island) but the politics stayed at a much higher level and the staff/jumpers never had to deal with it.
SONIC WOODY #146

There is a fine line between cockiness and confidence -- which side of the line are you on?

Depends on how much time you want to devote to bullshit really?. Me i would rather personally jump but thats not always a option. We have all been there and got sucked in >:(:P, its not why i took up skydiving. I prefer people who have a issue with me to either talk to me because i will tell them "skygods included" what i think " Someone wants to be a Asshole they can do it elsewhere, i don't have the time for it.

I will jump with anyone who will jump with me :)

Billy-Sonic Haggis Flickr-Fun