scratch69

Dropzone Politics

Nobody lives in a vaacuum dude.
Ever work in a factory? how 'bout an office with cubicles? Same kinda crap. REALLY. Probably just stupid human nature in general. RIGHT?

Get over it... Be positive influence and don't sweat the small stuff.

When drama happens in others- or my/your?- life,
ya gotta decide to have some measure of self-respect, let others do their own thing, and get on with doing what ya came there for in the first place.

Just need to keep some perspective and just let somethings go. Healthier this way, really.

Just my $.02 worth.

I thought I'd bring this thread back to life for a while . . .

Since I started working at my DZ (packer), being there has gone from a cool experience with nothing but good times, to the worst showcase of high school politics I've ever seen. I know everyone says not to let it get to you, but it can become really difficult. I don't even care who reads this from my DZ because I'm just that fed up and they can eat me.

I'm there to pack and jump. As far as packing and jumping goes, I can't complain. But . . . since I work there, I've bought a trailer and parked it at the DZ to minimize travelling. I guess this is where the problem lies. Now I am there friday to sunday, exposed to all the "politics" and I can't believe what I see. I could have read this thread last year and shrugged it off, but now it makes sense and I can see what people are talking about.

Without going into details, lets just say that I mind my own business and do my own thing at the DZ and recently . . . I may or may not have "rendez-vous'd" with a cute tandem student. We had a "good time" and went our separate ways, and things were great. Until I found out that certain people were talking shit.

I'm almost 28 years old people . . . it is nobody's business what I do in my spare time. WHY THE HELL CAN'T OTHER "SO-CALLED" ADULTS JUST FUCK OFF AND MIND THEIR OWN BUSINESS???>:(>:(>:(>:(

Has anyone else had similar experiences ?? Should I just shut the hell up and take it because its part of the atmosphere at every DZ ??? This is just a forum for me to vent, I welcome all opinions.
You think you understand the situation, but what you don't understand, is that the situation just changed.

Sounds like your life now revolves 100% around the dropzone. It is significantly easier to get caught up in the bullshit if you have nothing else to "get away" to and nothing else to provide you with perspective.

I find that I am much less likely to get caught up in drama if I have other interests and other people in my life. (Edited to add... my original response when this was first posted still seems valid today. :)
As for the specifics of your drama... no comment.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I understand what you are saying but when the HELL did the flip-flop occur ?? I CHOSE SKYDIVING AS MY "ESPCAPE" TO GET AWAY FROM THE BULLSHIT OF LIFE!!

What you are saying is that now I have to have an escape from my escape ??:S:S This skydiving stuff is getting confusing . . .
You think you understand the situation, but what you don't understand, is that the situation just changed.

I understand what you are saying but when the HELL did the flip-flop occur ?? I CHOSE SKYDIVING AS MY "ESPCAPE" TO GET AWAY FROM THE BULLSHIT OF LIFE!!

What you are saying is that now I have to have an escape from my escape ??:S:S This skydiving stuff is getting confusing . . .

There's bullshit everywhere. Welcome to the reality of skydiving. Despite what many people want to think (and what almost everyone thinks when they first start), skydiving is not made up of special people who are somehow immune to the ups and downs of life and interpersonal relationships. Sorry to say, there's good people and bad people in the sport, there's good relationships and bad relationships (I use that term broadly) and there's politics and drama.

Like I said in my original response months ago ... it's always gonna be there. How you react is up to you.:|
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

IMO you set yourself up, living and working at the DZ is a 24/7 thing.

Find another place to live away from the DZ, go to work at the DZ, STFU at the DZ unless its about jumping, don't worry be happy life is good, problem solved.

We were warned a long time ago about spending to much time at a DZ even while on holiday, She was right on.B|

R.I.P.

Lesson learned . . . apparently you need to be very secretive about your personal life at the DZ. It does suck though . . . I have to worry about what people's reactions are going to be to things that I do on my own time . . . [:/][:/] I guess its possible to go there, do my work, jump my ass off and go home . . . but its unfortunate that the whole family atmosphere has dwindled and the staff and regulars can't just hang out together and have a good time without judging others . . . I hate HUMAN NATURE ![:/][:/]

recently . . . I may or may not have "rendez-vous'd" with a cute tandem student. We had a "good time" and went our separate ways, and things were great. Until I found out that certain people were talking shit.

They are just jealous or bored or pissed if it was their daughter.

Who cares if you had a "date" with a TM passenger. Good for you! (if you are not married or in a serious relationship).

Don't let them see that it bothers you. I have a bad habit of poking at people when something like this bothers them, when they really shouldn't give a shit.

WHY THE HELL CAN'T OTHER "SO-CALLED" ADULTS JUST FUCK OFF AND MIND THEIR OWN BUSINESS???

Again, cause we are bored and old at least just me.

Judy
Be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Again, cause we are bored and old at least just me.

Judy

Your honesty is commendable Judy . . . I am not married or in a serious relationship, so you'd think I'm in the clear. I can't say that I have let it show at the DZ that this bothers me that much, I grin and bear it. Obviously to show it bothers me would only add fuel to the fire (Human Nature again).

We have a term for these people at our DZ . . . "COCK BLOCKS". If they aren't getting any . . . they try to ensure that no one is getting any!! Its sad . . . :(

Are they pissed because you went out with this person? I would be high-fiving you!

Remember at a dropzone your don't lose your girlfriend just your turn. Did you butt in line?

judy
Be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Are they pissed because you went out with this person? I would be high-fiving you!

Remember at a dropzone your don't lose your girlfriend just your turn. Did you butt in line?

judy

HELL NO . . . . I fully respect the unwritten rules about butting in and mowing someone else's lawn. This is not the case here . . . This particular Tandem customer expressed some interest my way after her jump, so I hung out with her that evening . . . No one else was even in the picture. But the following day . . . there was a lot of shit-talking going on, and not just from onr source, but a few. Please believe me . . . I am not some arrogant asshole at the DZ . . . I'm friends with everyone and I do not step on anyone's toes or turf. I have not been around as long as the others though, therefore I cannot comment on the long-term effects of being at the DZ full-time and how that makes people really bored and nosey.

HELL NO . . . . I fully respect the unwritten rules about butting in and mowing someone else's lawn. This is not the case here . . . This particular Tandem customer expressed some interest my way after her jump, so I hung out with her that evening . . . No one else was even in the picture. But the following day . . . there was a lot of shit-talking going on, and not just from onr source, but a few. Please believe me . . . I am not some arrogant asshole at the DZ . . . I'm friends with everyone and I do not step on anyone's toes or turf. I have not been around as long as the others though, therefore I cannot comment on the long-term effects of being at the DZ full-time and how that makes people really bored and nosey.

or, maybe there is a relationship between her and someone else, and she cheated on him/her...and friends at the DZ knew it.
It's not DZ politics from what you describe, but rather standard soap opera show scripting.

When you started working for the DZ was there some rule about employees not "working the Gold mine". If there was and you broke it, tough shit.

If there wasn't, it sounds like you hooked up with a lady that the ones talking shit wish they could have.:)
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

I may or may not have "rendez-vous'd" with a cute tandem student. We had a "good time" WHY THE HELL CAN'T OTHER "SO-CALLED" ADULTS JUST FUCK OFF AND MIND THEIR OWN BUSINESS???

I enjoy talking shit about people as much as the next person. However, it is considered very bad etiquette for a lowly packer to fraternize, and then engage in a lewd sex act with a female tandem customer. Usually the DZO gets first dibs on the fresh meat.

Sexual Intercourse is a fragile concept that most proletariat simply can’t understand. It is quite possibly the most ignominious self-defeating exertion known to man. Now you will deal with the consequences.

My advice is to beer this humiliation gracefully. The leers and gossip will follow you for some time. In the meantime, keep your opinions to yourself and your dick in your pants.

How often to tandem masters joust their students? Is it just an old wives tale or do they really put out? I've trolled up and down the packing area with my dick hanging out... No bites yet.
"In one way or the other, I'm a bad brother. Word to the motherf**ker." Eazy-E

DSE - no one at the DZ knew this person, she was a random one time tandem thrill seeker . . . but yes, they probably all wanted in with her.

mjosparky - there are no rules at the DZ for "working the mines" as you put it. We're on a first come, first served basis like all DZ's.

flippant - that's some of the funniest shit I ever read !! thanks for the laughs. But let's have a reality check. The tandem students have to go through the upper echelon of the DZ first, namely the DZO and especially the Tandem Masters. If you all blow your chances and she willingly makes her way to the "lowly packer" and chooses him . . . you all may need to re-evaluate your techniques.:P:P

udder - don't worry dog . . . you keep at 'er . . . they'll bite eventually.

How often to tandem masters joust their students? Is it just an old wives tale or do they really put out? I've trolled up and down the packing area with my dick hanging out... No bites yet.

You have made 23 jumps in 3 years. Next to a Skygod with a smooth line you are just dog meat.:)
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

At its core, this is not a DZ issue. It's a human issue that happened to occur this time at a DZ.

A discrete moment of immoral conduct is perfectly understandable. I'll bet most of the people talking would be willing to participate in similar stuff; perhaps they already have. This is an example of the social stigma which is part of the value system upon which such judgements are based.

Still, this same value system frowns upon gossip or any other exchange of words designed to annoy, harass, etc. Teasing among friends is one thing, but pursuing the issue with the knowledge that someone is being made uncomfortable serves no useful purpose.

(Can't say that I've never done these things, or won't do them again at some point, but that's an issue for another time...)

I think the real issue here is that you are describing people who are older than an average high school junior.

Frankly, I can remember a time when such a moment would not have become news at the DZ. But this was back in the days when the people smoking pot after hours didn't have to go off and be discrete about it. Anyone remember those big circles?

Cheers,
Jon S.

ok ok settle down youngins
this old man wants to say something

My wife and I travel to many DZ's all around the country,not as often as we want but pretty often.
We have found that if someone acts a certain way..say adult ..that person will most of the time be treated that way. act like an idiot and you are treated like one.

We have been treated like family and with respect everywhere we have gone,then again that is how we chose to treat others.

no DRAMA,,real concern for others,,and a general respect for each others and there property.surprise thats how we are treated in return

weather you live on the DZ or in a house in the burbs act in a way you would like to be treated

I for one would like to thank all the folks that have gone out of there way to be nice and look after my wife when she jumps.

act like a dick and you can expect to be treated just like a dick.

there was an old saying

"a fox doesn't hunt in its own backyard"

politics..such a bore .even at the DZ

now back to the bashing

59 YEARS,OVERWEIGHT,BALDIND,X-GRUNT
LAST MIL. JUMP VIET-NAM(QUAN-TRI)
www.dzmemories.com

There are now people who go to the dz, jump, and leave. They are not part of the life that is the dropzone.

If that's what you choose, it's fine, but in that case, you're not a skydiver, you are merely someone who skydives.

rl

probably the dumbest thing I have ever read.

unfortunately, as long as there are dropzones, there will always be politics.a lot of it is based on pure bull shit or uneducated opinion.

You left out a couple of things but this is a old post.

Money first
Boobs second
Rumors
Staff with ego's and attitudes.

Every DZ, has issues and prioities but their not all the same. In certain parts of the country there are a lot of DZ's.

I talked to a wise women that moved to my area when I started to travel to other DZ's due to local conditions. She gave me a heads up about florida DZ's where she was from that can be applied to all DZ's if your not jumping don't hang around the DZ. Go somewhere even the library.

I learned the hard way unless you got boobs or wheels your going to be a sitting duck. And the DZ staff wil pick up on it.

Hell there's politic's on DZ.com:o "The rules are the rules":o:S
One Jump Wonder