scratch69

Dropzone Politics

oh, the other thing I wanted to mentione is that I am terrible with names and all the new guys (Even if they have been jumping once a month for a year) all know my name and I don't know theirs.

They all address my by saying "Hello Bev" and I just say Hi. It is only when I get to jump with them (If I get to take them on coaching jumps) that I will get to know them better.

There are stacks of students thst come through the system every month and you can't remember everyone.

I am normally always hectically busy and loud and obnoxious on the DZ, 'cause I can be. And sometimes quiet, and sometimes busy with my team. So you can catch me in different moods. Sometimes I just don't want to be nice to everyone I see!

Just being honest - Maybe you can buy him a beer next time and you will get a different response....
Maybe when he is not so focused on an issue in his head.

I think true friendship is under-rated

Twitter: @Dreamskygirlsa

Modern day life now means eveyrone has more committments, and so if the weather is bad then why go and sit aroudn when theres ten jobs to be done round the house or somewhere else?

You're missing out on some excellent - and free - learning opportunities by not being at the dz when the weather sucks. Same goes for post-sunset activities.

It's amazing how much free ground coaching you can get just by being around when the really good people aren't busy jumping.

unfortunately the policies at some dropzones now mean that nearly everyone who can vanishes, as soon as possible when the jumping is over...

management didnt like the party so the party moved elsewhere.... and the 'post jump' atmosphere went with it... [:/]

I've walked past him as i've got to the DZ and said hello and he's just ignored me before. He's got almost 10,000 jumps and i might just say to him "if you're that bored with it all, why don't you just fuck off mate" and see what he says ;)

May be he had something on his mind... May be he didnt hear you... May be he was just tired. Whatever it was, please tell me, oh sensitve new jumper, why should ANYONE, let alone someone who HAS seen it all, pay attention to every single person on the DZ?

If you expect an accomplished skydiver to pay you respects now, when you have 18 jumps, I want to see how your attitude changes when you get a few thousand jumps and see hundreds of new jumpers come and go. IF you get there of course.

If I walk past someone and say "hello", and they ignore me, then they are an asshole. Period.
Come on, its a greeting! If you are too tired to say hello in return, then I sure hope you are done jumping for the day.:S

oh, forgot to add...

he was in the World Team that did the record jump in Thialand, and he wears his World Team t-shirt all the time, just to let you know how good he is ;)

wanker

Sorry to burst your bubble, but to be on the world team is an AMAZING ACHIEVEMENT. In fact I would sell my mother to be on the world team, but I am not sure you can understand that right now! (Oh and the fact that I already sold her to see a Bon Jovi concert)

It takes lots of commitment, skill and cash to do anything amazing in this sport.
I wear my World Meet 2004 t shirts all the time - Does that make a wanker? I think not. It was the best achievement of my life and I am super proud of myself for getting there in the first place.

Let people have their moment of glory when they deserve it and don't diss it, you hopefully will be there one day and then you will understand.

I am super proud of the people I know who have made the world team and will never deprive them of the accolades that come with it.

I think true friendship is under-rated

Twitter: @Dreamskygirlsa

WOW . . . This is cool . . . I never imagined I would get so many heated responses to this subject. I realize now that human nature cannot be avoided and throwing people from different walks of life together to make a soup, may not always be so tasty. But, it is to be expected. I guess my only beef is that when I first showed up at my DZ, things were really good and everyone seemed to be friendly and only there for a good time. (with the occasional bad mood, no big deal) And now, as I spend more and more time there, I see beneath this happy outer shell, and realize that this new SKYDIVER "clique" that I belong to, is just the same as any other group of friends that share common interests. AND THAT IS DISAPPOINTING.

I had "higher" hopes for this new hobby (no pun intended). I will have to learn to live with it. Thanks to everyone for helping me come to terms. I guess I will remain at my current DZ and just try not to let all the BULLSHIT get to me. I will, however, make it a point to test other waters from time to time, and I hope I run into some of you WANKERS one day. We'll go for a jump or two. Because I know one thing for sure :

ASSHOLES OR NOT, GOSSIP OR NOT . . . put us all in a plane at max altitude and open the door . . . IT ALL SEEMS TO DISAPPEAR VERY QUICKLY!!! (if even for just a few minutes) CHERISH THOSE MOMENTS!!!!

BLUE SKIES!

- - i was sent here to disturb the peace - -

Don't complain too much. Breaking into the skydiving community is easier now than it was thirty years ago. In those days walking up to a "local" and introducing yourself would get you a curt, "So what?" If they even said anything to you at all.

In those days (right or wrong) you earned your way in and sometimes it took years. There was no way you could buy your way in and no way were you thought of as a "customer."

I'm glad those days are over, I mean the humiliation some endured was sometimes too much and they'd quit the sport over it, and I'm sure this was just as intended. Hack it or pack it was the order of the day.

I recall back in 1978 I'd already been in the sport for three years and I'm still considered a "turkey" who couldn't fly worth a damn. And I really couldn't as no one would jump with me, except others who were just as bad as I, or if I scraped up an extra seven dollars and paid for some "skygod's" slot.

The worst was one day I begged (and I really mean begged) Tom Start (a local big gun) to jump with me and afterward I got this; "You suck. Go over the hill to Perris and come back when you can fly, and maybe, just maybe then you can get on the hot loads."

The drive over the hill to Perris was the saddest day of my life, but I wasn't going to let them break me and I decided to be upbeat and do whatever it took to become a good skydiver. I parked in the Perris parking lot for the first time, grabbed my gear, and tried to look confident. I walked up to the first person I saw and it was Alan Richter sitting on a picnic table. I stood up straight, looked him right in the eye, and stuck out my hand.

"Hi, my name is Nick." I said.

"So what?" He said.

Man, that was a long summer . . .

NickD :)BASE 194

LOL thats a funny story! :ph34r: Thanks for that

May be a touch of that "Hack it or pack it" attitude should come back? Too many people now think that they are somehow special and expect that everyone must smile for them. Oh and dont you dare tell them that they suck, or even suggest that they are wrong. LOL They are usually the 2-3 year temporary skydiver types
SoFPiDaRF - School of Fast Progress in Downsizing and Radical Flying. Because nobody knows your skills better than you.

Yes, I agree, the pendulum has now swung too much the other way. My generation rebelled against those past attitudes and I'll admit we now carry and baby some jumpers way too much. Someday, I hope we can manage to find a middle ground . . .

NickD :)BASE 194

Thanks for the story! It remind me my first years in sport:)
Some how I don’t see positive value in this sort of attitude. People who are getting A licenses today will be doing 20 ways in about 3 years. I won’t be invited if I ignore them now :)

I also started 30 years ago (just had my 30th first-jump birthday). Reading your story about being a newbie in the late 70's, I swear you must have downloaded my memories while I slept and posted them on here. I mean, practically word for word...wow.
(Except different state & DZ)
Maybe I should stop wearing my tin foil helmet to bed....

Man, that was a long summer . . .

I was lying on the ground, with entrance and exit burn marks from the shock on my arm while my parachute is smoldering on powerlines. Owner walks up to me and starts talking to the ppl that have gathered about shutting down the grid, doesn't even look at me.

Finishes taking care of his own STUFF and finally turns to me and says with disapproval "did ya try to steer the thing?"

To which I replied. "UNfortunately I couldn't cut away my main cause of a hard pull and every time I tried to steer the reserve (strong 26) the main looked like it was gonna wrap around it, what would YOU have done?"

Talk about feeling like a number. I stuck it out because some of the big guns came and saw me at work and reminded me what an asshole EVERYBODY thinks he is, etc. Anyway, it was a, how shall we say, EDUCATION.

Like hook said People are People! its a part of life

whether it is a DZ, or a classroom, or a church group, or an AA meeting, or a softball team, or any other micro group out there. It is a small slice of the bigger PIE, but it always tastes the same. Sounds like the "my DZ is the greatest place on earth" buzz is wearing off for you.

Stay out of the mess and get in the air ;)

NUR ZUM SPASS

Where i jump now is kind of political. If your a prick that tries to tell the owners what to do, then they kick you off. But for the most its drama free, except when the wife gets drunk:D Oh and when Beligerent Robbie shows up kicking things:P
http://www.skydivethefarm.com

do you realize that when you critisize people you dont know over the internet, you become part of a growing society of twats? ARE YOU ONE OF THEM?

Nick,

I was jumping Perris during that time. Now which side of the hill is the big dog? And when was the last time you saw Tom or Alan make a jump. Some people are just tourists. Like a Nova, a bright flash and then gone like the dust they kick up.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Some people are just tourists. Like a Nova, a bright flash and then gone like the dust they kick up.

Sparky

I could be wrong, but I think I heard a saying that you're a tourist until you've been jumping at least 10 years?...:D In my experience, most people seem to fizzle out around the 3 year period.

Some people are just tourists. Like a Nova, a bright flash and then gone like the dust they kick up.

Sparky

I could be wrong, but I think I heard a saying that you're a tourist until you've been jumping at least 10 years?...:D In my experience, most people seem to fizzle out around the 3 year period.

I am not sure about the 3 year period, but I know most are gone by 10 years.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Guess that counts me out.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

USPA did some research a few years ago...the in-and-out-of-sport average is 7 years.

rl

Not surprising. Considering the average age of first jump students, 7 years later puts most of them right at the marriage/kids/career/mortgage threshold.
Spending available funds on your skydiving hobby when you're single is one thing; it's a lot harder when your money is not just your money, it's "the family's money" (and your health is not just your health, it's "the family's earning potential")

Not surprising. Considering the average age of first jump students, 7 years later puts most of them right at the marriage/kids/career/mortgage threshold.

7 years is also just a good long while in a single hobby. You don't owe a sport your life - supposed to be the other way around.