gundoc7519

right bicep bruise WTF

I am jumping a vector 3 with a silouhette canopy that is new to me. I spent the weekend at Elsinore and Monday morning looked like someone hit me in the bicep with a bat. Anyone know what is going on with that I am assuming the riser is getting me somehow. Anyone heard of or experienced this? Thanks for the help.

Don

FWIW, I jump a different rental rig almost every weekend. I find different bruising from each one. The harnesses tend to be tight, & my pack jobs aren't the smoothest...

If the V3 is yours? Ask a rigger to eyeball the fit. Perhaps a resizing or padding are in order. If it's a rental? I vote for "Suck it up, Cupcake." A full weekend of loving is gonna leave some bruises.

hmm...

Not a whole lot of ways you could be hitting your inner right bicep on the door unless you're climbing out to the camera step, so that's probably not it.

If you're launching two way stars and you take high grips from the inside around the other jumper's arms with the other person holding the bar it's possible for the other jumper's hand to smack your inner bicep on exit. Particularly if the exit timing is a little off.

The last thing I can think of is if you're being particularly aggresive when you reach to pull you could be smacking your bicep into the side of the reserve container. Whether or not this is possible depends on container size, fit, and your flexibility.

If it was anything besides exit or deployment you'd probably remember it.

That used to happen to me a lot. I realized it was due to me crossing my arms during deployment out of fear of falling out of the harness. Once I stopped that and kept my arms out & up during deployment.... No more bruises.
The choices we make have consequences, for us & for others!

It's from your harness. I get them mostly on my right arm, but sometimes both arms. Time to suck it up cupcake! :P I don't think I've ever escaped a weekend of jumping without bruising.

Sexy hurts, right? ;)

Adrenaline is my crack

DPH #3
D.S. #16 FAG #12 Muff Brother #4406

The upper 4 point is a very solid Stitch pattern. When the canopy is opening, the harness is spreading out and the the 4 point (under the mudflaps) is likely hitting you in the arms.

Could be wrong but the Likely culprit, small harness. Unable to tighten chest strap enough. If you can tighten the chest strap enough to keep the harness inline, it probably won't hit your arms anymore.

Also, your arm position can make it worse.

Good luck :)
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

That used to happen to me a lot. I realized it was due to me crossing my arms during deployment out of fear of falling out of the harness. Once I stopped that and kept my arms out & up during deployment.... No more bruises.

Kinda the same here. My first 20 jumps or so I had bruises on the insides of my upper arms. My instructor said it was because I was reaching for the risers at deployment time (so basically bringing my arms in too much). After I knew this and consciously thought of keeping my arms wide during deployment and not reaching for the risers until I had a canopy above me I stopped getting the bruises.

Ive had some pretty nasty bruises from people taking grips when I was doing RW in a jumpsuit without grippers, although from your description of the bruise I seriously doubt that is the cause. I think the others hit the nail on the head when they suggest harness spread...

As for me and my house, we will serve the LORD...

A mixture of 2 way RW and solo's stable at terminal opening. The bruise is up and down the bicep on the inside. A bunch of different exits

I get those once in a while. Its the main lift webbing raking across the inside of my biceps. It doesn't hurt and doesn't bother me. Sometimes an opening sequence doesn't go smoothly and you get turned around or get a jerk and the harness shifts real quick.

Note that's just one possible cause.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I get these often. It's taken me years to figure it out, but I finally noticed something.

When I do RW jumps, I get bruises. When I work as AFF instructor, I don't get bruises. What's the difference? When I do RW jumps, people are sometimes taking grips on my arms. When I'm working as AFF instructor, nobody takes grips on my arms.

So, for me - the bruises are caused by other jumpers taking grips on my arms. I've never noticed any pain from this in freefall, but presumably this is due to the adrenaline.

Your mileage may vary, of course.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

I am jumping a vector 3 with a silouhette canopy that is new to me. I spent the weekend at Elsinore and Monday morning looked like someone hit me in the bicep with a bat. Anyone know what is going on with that I am assuming the riser is getting me somehow. Anyone heard of or experienced this? Thanks for the help.

Don

It is from the harness as already stated. I found they went away when I made sure the harness was on firmly.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

Anyone heard of or experienced this? Thanks for the help.

Don

Harden up :)
Your body is being sollicited by gear and shocks in places it is not used to. Once you will be bruised enough, your body will toughen up a bit where it needs to.
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

I get these too. They are not from RW for me, as I can get them on any kind of a jump.

I believe they are from the harness hitting you as the canopy opens. I used to get them all the time on rental gear. Then I got my own gear and they stopped. Now I got a new container and I am back to bruises again until I figure out how to tighten it up right!

Do you reach up to grab your risers during the opening? If so, check your arm position on your next jump once the canopy is fully opened. Grab the risers the same way you do during opening, and see where the bruised part of your arm falls. I'm betting the large ring on the harness, or the MLW just below it is going to be right in that area.

As mentioned before, that's a pretty 'stout' area, and if your arm got in the way of the side-to-side motion of the harness as the canopy opens, it might leave a mark. All it takes is one good shot to cause the bruising, so that might explain why you don't get bruised every time. Additionally, if that jump wasn't your last, the lighter impacts from later jumps would only serve to make the bruising seem worse.

Overall, suck it up cupcake.

Overall, suck it up cupcake.

Half the fun of jumping is playing "count the bruises" after a busy weekend and trying to figure out how the fuck that big purple mark got there.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke