Ruskin

All I want is the chance

I will start this post with a copy of my previous posts to give you the background then add on details of what’s happened since together with my question.

About 3 years ago I started my skydive training on RAPS and did 27 static line jumps but never got any further than dummy pulls. I started off confident but got less and less confident on each jump. I then went to Spain to start AFF. I did levels 1 - 3 perfectly but level 4 was a disaster. I was with one instructor and supposed to be doing turns left and right. My instructor let go of me and I felt wobberly so instinctively put my leg down and guess what, I began to tumble out of control. I went completely unstable, on my back spinning, lost altitude awareness (in fact all awareness of anything!). This continued down to 4,000 feet when my instructor caught up with me and pulled my main for me. I then went to the wind tunnel in Paris but I only spent one day there. I did 8 x 2 minute slots which were split into 2 x 4 slot sessions with a half hour break between the 2 sessions. I was with a French instructor who could speak English but not fluently so this caused a few difficulties. Also, I was extremely tired towards the end with doing so many slots close together in a short time. On my first 4 slots I was awful, just could not get stable. I kept dropping to the bottom and clinging on for dear life sometimes because I didn't want to get back up!! After my first 4 slots I thought I would never do it but then decided to really relax as that is what everyone keeps telling me. On my 5th slot I just flopped into the air flow and it worked. I was stable. I stayed stable for ages on one of my slots without moving forwards, backwards, up or down. I even did a few 90 degree turns. I did have a slight tendency to drop my legs at times though still, especially when I was tired. I did a couple of more slots and on these I was sometimes stable and sometimes not. I left the tunnel feeling that it was a fluke the time I did it as it was not consistent. I really needed more time in the tunnel but I went on a Sunday and they are closed on Monday and Tuesdays. It was then a few weeks before I was able to jump so I feel that I lost any benefit from the tunnel by that time.
I then did two more jumps (on different days) but as confidence building jumps only where I told my instructor not to let me go. For my next jump I waited all day to jump but then when it was my turn I could not do it. I told my instructor on the ground that I could not go ahead with it before I even got kitted up. I had got too worked up whilst waiting all day.
Earlier this year I booked a week off work, booked myself into a B&B and tried to continue my training at a different dropzone. I explained to the instructors before I booked my time there that I needed to be a one to one student so that I could get a few jumps a day in to build my confidence. I was told that this could be the case. Unfortunately, there were 2 and sometimes 3 other students using the same instructor as me and I got manifested last on day 1 and did not get to jump because the weather turned bad. On day 2 there was no secondary instructor there for me until late on in the day so I eventually did just one jump. The weather was then bad for a few days and by my last day there I decided it was pointless continuing as I was not going to get enough jumps in to get anywhere.

So, my frustration is that I just cannot seem to get a decent amount of jumps in wherever I go. I understand that weather is always going to be a factor but I feel that this is not what is causing the majority of my delays. As soon as a dropzone find out that I’m struggling I just get manifested last as they all want to progress the other students first. Students who are progressing well then get extra jumps in to try and get them qualified leaving me without any jump or just the one. I feel that this is unfair and that in a group of students they should all take in turns no matter how they are progressing.

As you can see my commitment and dedication is there, but I just don’t know what to do next. Is there anyone out there (preferably in the UK) who would take me on as a one to one student (and promise that), meaning that I could jump one after the other throughout a day (subject to other restrictions obviously) without having to take in turns with other students. I know this may make me sound selfish but I cannot progress any other way.
My post is not intended as a criticism to any of my previous instructors/dropzones, I simply want to find somewhere that can help me progress.

Hey,

Firstly don't worry about the tumbling problem - i had the exact problem on AFF level 5 and tried repeats and still fucked it up!!! So youre not the only one.
I would recommend you give UK parachuting a call.

I train there an have found that the are nothing but complete professionals who are brilliant and really helpful. If you go MIDWEEK you should find a good chance of getting trained in the way you want to. They are really understanding and great coaches, adn really know what they are doing.

If you want any info just check out their website,

www.ukparachuting.co.uk

However, ive only jumper there and dont; really know what any other places are like... they might be others to which you might prefer.

but they are really good.

Good luck,

Mike

Avoid the weekends. Go during the week and even on a day that starts out shitty but its expected to improve, that will ensure a lot less people and more one on one attention by the instructor, you may also get more jumps in one day.

P.S. That may only work on a larger DZ that is willing to put a plane up for only a couple of people
Inveniam Viam aut Faciam
I'm back biatches!

I don't really have advice on your instructor situation. But, I am wondering what you are doing to practice your arch when you're not jumping. In my opinion, you should be practicing at home for about 20mins every other day. Also, something that worked for me was stretching. You obviously have an issue with relaxing. While stretching may not help your mental relaxation, it will help your body be more relaxed and comfortable in the arch position. Spend a good 20mins doing this as well - everyday if you can. Stretch your legs, arms, back, and anything else you can think of. Consider doing yoga excercises.

As for the mental relaxation, this is something you really need to think about. Are you learning to skydive for the right reasons? What kinds of thoughts are freaking you out? Only you know the answers to these questions and so only you can really figure out how to deal with the anxiety you yourself are causing.

Three last tips:
(1) Try to stay current. You want to give enough time to reflect on your last jump, but not too much so that anxiety has time to build before your next jump.
(2) Take one deep breath before exiting.
(3) SMILE during freefall . This will greatly help with both mental and physical relaxation.B|

And just remember that an instructor can only do so much. You don't want to be too dependent on them.

Good luck with everything. I have faith that you will sort it all out.
The dog has learned from experience, which is more than can be said for his owner.

Message to the moderators - Would it be appropriate for me to post this in the Instructors forum? I know a lot of instructors will read the safety and training forum but to maximise responses from instructors I wondered whether i could post it there.

>Would it be appropriate for me to post this in the Instructors forum?

Not really. The instructors forum is for instructors to talk about training methods, problems they've had etc. Safety and training is the place to go for training questions like this. Most of the instructors read this forum, so you won't reach many new people in the other one.

With any DZ your best bet would be to go during mid week. I would call around and ask. If I were you, I would give UK Parachuting a call. Its in East Anglia near Attleborough. Give me a PM and Ill tell you more.

I was just about to PM you but notice that none of your profile information is completed. I like to know who I am talking to on here (experience etc.), especially when sending PM's so maybe you wouldn't mind completing your profile. Thanks for your response to my post.