NWFlyer

The Transformers Effect

Maybe this should be in the wingsuit forum, but since all the "Dude that is so totally badass" folks who see wingsuiting in Transformers 3 are going to have to do some non-wingsuit skydives at first, even the non-wingsuiters will feel the effect.

So is it going to be as big as the Point Break effect (before my time, but I've heard the stories)? Is it a good or a bad thing for skydiving? For wingsuiting? Are DZs already seeing a bump?
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Maybe this should be in the wingsuit forum, but since all the "Dude that is so totally badass" folks who see wingsuiting in Transformers 3 are going to have to do some non-wingsuit skydives at first, even the non-wingsuiters will feel the effect.

So is it going to be as big as the Point Break effect (before my time, but I've heard the stories)? Is it a good or a bad thing for skydiving? For wingsuiting? Are DZs already seeing a bump?

It will not be as big as Point Break. Not because it is not as totally awesome as a five minute freefall,:P but because we stand on the shoulders of giants. The Giants' names are Bodhi and Agent Utah.

So this is another one of those pseudo sci-fi movies with the robot things that go around tearing up stuff? Who watches that shit? Are those the kind of people we want coming to the DZ wanting to do a wingsuit jump?

Other than the 3 minute freefalls, Point Break was a decent movie.

I searched for "Transformers 3" and found a page discussing "Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides" too. Makes me want to be a Pirate! Where is the nearest PZ? (Pirate Zone)

(Of course, there was a picture of Rosie Huntington-Whiteley from Transformers, and she's pretty hot, so I guess it has some redeeming value. Shah, are going to go see it?)

Ok, Ok, [/sarcasm]

It will not be as big as Point Break. Not because it is not as totally awesome as a five minute freefall,:P but because we stand on the shoulders of giants. The Giants' names are Bodhi and Agent Utah.

Pssst the beach at the end of the movie aint in OZ either...BUT thre is a great break there if you can stand the water temps/.... bbbrrrrr

well I don't know about you folks, but I was amazed the amount of RETARDS that just though it was coller than hell that Travis Pastrana jumped sans rig. You all have to talk to as many IDIOTS as I did about that?

I might be proving your point, but I thought that was pretty damn cool myself.

-SPACE-

So this is another one of those pseudo sci-fi movies with the robot things that go around tearing up stuff? Who watches that shit? Are those the kind of people we want coming to the DZ wanting to do a wingsuit jump?

Well, that's exactly the type of dialogue I'm trying to spark... this movie is almost certainly going to increase interest in wingsuiting (and skydiving in general)... but is it a good thing? Is the "Dude I want to wingsuit into downtown Chicago!" crowd a good thing?
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Well, that's exactly the type of dialogue I'm trying to spark... this movie is almost certainly going to increase interest in wingsuiting (and skydiving in general)... but is it a good thing? Is the "Dude I want to wingsuit into downtown Chicago!" crowd a good thing?

I don't really see how the exposure could be a bad thing. More people coming out for a first jump ultimately more people to play with in the sky later. (When the few that make it get their license)

But also, in the times of youtube, I don't see how the Transformers 3 movie would create a huge influx of new students like Point Break did. Anyone can pull up proximity BASE videos at any time, so I think the 'WOW' factor in seeing wingsuits over Chicago is less than it would be if there was no internet videos.

But all this is a total guess on my part. ;)

well I don't know about you folks, but I was amazed the amount of RETARDS that just though it was coller than hell that Travis Pastrana jumped sans rig. You all have to talk to as many IDIOTS as I did about that?

I might be proving your point, but I thought that was pretty damn cool myself.

Me too

MAKE EVERY DAY COUNT
Life is Short and we never know how long we are going to have. We must live life to the fullest EVERY DAY. Everything we do should have a greater purpose.

The media exposure does spark interest, I'm here because of Ripcord! :DB|

That being said, my old roomie from college who has a few hundred jumps, but hasn't been up in 25 years...called me & asked about where to go to get checked out on a wing-suit, and could he do it in a day or would it take a whole weekend. :ph34r:

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

So is it going to be as big as the Point Break effect

No, many movies have skydiving as part of it... Transformers 2 had them jumping as well.

Will it produce a bump? Sure, any coverage sparks the interest of people who would already be inclined. Heck, after a reported fatality FJS/Tandems increase.

But PB was a movie that had sticking power. It is almost a cult classic and it preached a whole lifestyle that people wanted to buy into.... T3 does not do that.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Well, I for one can tell you that I saw the movie at the Paramount lot in the company theatre last night in 3-D. Where can I get me one of those wingsuit things? How much will it cost? How may jumps will I need before I can jump, er should I say "Wingsuit in" to a city like that? ;) I have been wondering what catch phrase the 20 somethings will be using all summer to drive staff crazy!

I think the movie will have some impact on #'s, we will see.

So this is another one of those pseudo sci-fi movies with the robot things that go around tearing up stuff?

I guess, whats a 'pseudo sci-fi' movie?

Who watches that shit?

Me.

Are those the kind of people we want coming to the DZ wanting to do a wingsuit jump?

I already have a wingsuit and I could very well be in a DZ near you.
Your rights end where my feelings begin.

Are those the kind of people we want coming to the DZ wanting to do a wingsuit jump?

I already have a wingsuit and I could very well be in a DZ near you.

Oh, I guess we can tolerate you at the local DZ! :)

(What I meant was if we want first time jumpers doing that. There are already DZs that have people calling up thinking that, just like when skysurfing was the craze, them thinking they could do that on their first jump.)

"pseudo sci-fi movie"? Well, I just made that up, kinda sounded cool, like "atmonauti".

>Who watches that shit?

Skydivers, for one. There's a long tradition of skydivers exclaiming how shitty a movie with skydiving stunts is while watching it over and over.

Hrrmph, I didn't see this thread until today, but the day after you posted it, Bill, I was watching Cutaway in the morning cuz the wx was crappy and I wanted to watch Turbo go "no lift. " :)

Cuz, you know, its a documentary. Teee heee.
NIN
D-19617, AFF-I '19

Are you kidding me! I was in Chicago a few days ago (4th of July). All I could do was stare at the skyscrapers and think to myself that people made base jumps there. I dare you to stand on the street and not be amazed! Holy shit - they actually flew through downtown Chicago! I'm still blown away. Flying a Cessna there would take watermelon sized balls, let alone an unpowered wing. Amazing.

D
The brave may not live forever, but the timid never live at all.

I seen this comment made me laugh

Those black suits they are wearing are from the Future Force Warrior 2020. Its still in development. So expect seeing this in the military in 9 years lmao

I honestly dont know if he is being serious
For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return.