LouDiamond

wagging the dog, similarities in paragliding and skydiving

Came across this interesting article on Paragliding that has a few observations on that sport that are similar to what we experience in ours. It actually covers several issues we routinely deal with in skydiving. The author makes some valid observations and points. I thought many might see the parallels and appreciate the article, so here it is:

http://teton.outerlocal.com/paragliding/wagging-the-dog-outpost
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

That is a good article. I do not compete or even participate in PG racing or any (legitimate) XC, but some of the controversial statements made in there I agree with. Governing bodies should make decisions and rules based on evidence and thought, not rash PR efforts.

-SPACE-

I've been following the PG Worlds controversy but am wondering if there's something specific in the skydiving world you are addressing or alluding to, or some organization you are criticizing without being explicit?

I'm honestly just asking.

Or is it simply a general cautionary tale about too-quick banning of things and sudden rule changes, that may not really be addressing the real sources of the problems? Or that accidents in small numbers can provide misleading evidence about underlying risks? Or that an organization can have leaders who start to become too remote from the group they are leading? Stuff like that...

(The actual details of all the paragliding technology mentioned in the article -- Well, that's a huge area of discussion in itself with a lot of different opinions available...)

Nothing specifically, yet I find that the article could be talking about everything from swooping, accidents/deaths, equipment, downsizing,jumpers attitudes to governing bodies in skydiving. Aside from the PG equipment specific comments, a lot of what was said could be said about skydiving. The similarities is what struck me the most and the way the author addressed the topic(s).

Given what the governing body has done in that sport after the incidents mentioned, skydivers should/could consider ourselves fortunate in many ways. So there is nothing specific yet it could be all of the things you mentioned. Kind of like the movie A Christmas story a la skydiving. Seeing what "could be" and that we aren't sucking as bad as we could be.
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

I think a lot of it is that PG in europe is strictly governed and 'legally' governed(as opposed to industry standard clubs like USPA and USHPA, because in all reality it's just a club)when compared to the US and FAA rules. There was even that recent letter from the feds in parachutist about our multiple canopy fatalities.

-SPACE-

Just like in Skydiving, too much drama. Governing bodies making decisions for reasons other than the best interest of the individual members. Too much concern with top competitors and too little effort going to the needs of the average member. Seems to be the common theme for most sports governing bodies.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

I found the following passage from the article to be a spot on descriptor to what we see in the incidents forum and hear around the bonfire/bar.

Vargas and von Muhlenbrock perished because of pilot error and an element of bad luck. This statement will be endlessly challenged. As with any dangerous sport, participants attempt to explain away tragedy by placing blame not on themselves but on the equipment they use. Such blame is natural. It allows participants to deal with the cognitive dissonance that occurs between their recognition of a pursuit’s danger and their desire to continue doing it.

SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING