monkycndo

Whuffos selling gear

So I was at the flea market and came across some old gear. It was a '77 Wonderhog and '84 Rapid Transit, plus two balloon suits. For entertainment value, asked what he wanted for the rigs. I almost choked when he said $400 apiece. And $200 per balloon suit because the patches were collector items. :S Not knowing what was in the rigs, I offered $100 per on the off chance I might find something interesting inside. What can I say, I'm a gear whore.

After chatting him up, he admitted he bought out a storage unit and had no idea what their real value was. He said he found what he could on the internet for value. He eventually let me paw through them. They were last repacked in '95. Even after I determined the main and reserve on the hog and explained anyone that knew gear would take them for free but not pay for them, and those that didn't know what they were wouldn't offer anything. I told him he should have taken my first offer. I said I'd give him $100 for both and offered some for the balloon suits, but he still didn't budge on the price.

I did determine the original owner as Roger Day. So if you happen to know of him, his gear is available at the Coliseum Flea Market.

So, what type of gear have you come across being sold by unknowing whuffos?
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

Some non-jumper will buy them of course......then, thinking a parachute is a parachute, will take them out for their last jump off a bridge, or a building.

Do you have an example of anyone ever doing this?
Owned by Remi #?

Some non-jumper will buy them of course......then, thinking a parachute is a parachute, will take them out for their last jump off a bridge, or a building.....[:/]

Actually, they'll buy it and bring it out to their local DZ and complain that you want them to go all the way through AFF before you'll let them use the gear to do downwind 270's.

Elvisio ":P" Rodriguez

Some non-jumper will buy them of course......then, thinking a parachute is a parachute, will take them out for their last jump off a bridge, or a building.

Stupid people do stupid things everyday.

Life is short ... jump often.

I can only think of D. B. Cooper, and he used borrowed gear anyway. ;):P

Hey Monkey, go get those balloon suits and bring 'em to LP. We'll do a sick slow fall 2-way. :D:D Everyone will want to be on OUR dives. B|

I haven't been in a balloon suit in years. :)

A few years ago Air Trash had a “big suit” day. I jumped a Silly Suit. Couldn’t get out of my own way, it was like driving a deisal truck through the air.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Hey Monkey, go get those balloon suits and bring 'em to LP. We'll do a sick slow fall 2-way. :D:D Everyone will want to be on OUR dives. B|

I haven't been in a balloon suit in years. :)

You can borrow mine... hell I can get down to 104 in the white one:)

I haven't come across any whuffos selling gear, but I have sold gear to whuffos. Elementary schools love old parachutes, especially colorful ones. They use them for games at recess. People also buy old canopies for use at shades and car covers. I also sold my first container to some guys putting on a play that included a scene at a DZ. Canopies often go for about $50 on eBay. I got $150 for my container.

- Dan G

That means you have nothing to suggest wuffos are dropping from the sky under flea market fear on an even rare basis.

People do stupid shit every day. How many of them are wuffos jumping flea market gear? Is this really a problem?

Seriously? Do you have a remote basis for your comment?

ETA to pile on: find one example of a whuffo hurt on skydiving gear for every 20 skydivers who have done reckless, thoughtless, uneducated, dumb-assed shit when they should have known better and then bring the "whuffos are stupid" attitude.

It's arrogant bullshit.
Owned by Remi #?

That means you have nothing to suggest wuffos are dropping from the sky under flea market fear on an even rare basis.

People do stupid shit every day. How many of them are wuffos jumping flea market gear? Is this really a problem?

ETA to pile on: find one example of a whuffo hurt on skydiving gear for every 20 skydivers who have done reckless, thoughtless, uneducated, dumb-assed shit when they should have known better and then bring the "whuffos are stupid" attitude.

It's arrogant bullshit.

WTF...Did someone get thrown out of Speakers Corner?:S

It's arrogant bullshit.

Actually, we have a number of people jumping rounds at our DZ (and others), most of those belong to one of the clubs and jump that club's gear but some buy their own (using ebay????). And in some cases, yes that's a problem. And yes, most of the round guys are what I'd call whuffo's :| No idea about gear, no respect for gear, no respect for other skydivers, not much respect for safety. Not saying it's all of them, but there have been a couple incidents and close calls with round jumpers so we tend to keep a much closer eye on them these days whenever they're at our DZ.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

WTF...Did someone get thrown out of Speakers Corner?

Nope, but I can understand why you'd ask. Just had an inappropriately bitchy day. The "stupid whuffos" genre gets under my skin sometimes.

I had that problem for about 2 years once. :D

You got the shot for that though didn't you Chris?

WTF...Did someone get thrown out of Speakers Corner?

Nope, but I can understand why you'd ask. Just had an inappropriately bitchy day. The "stupid whuffos" genre gets under my skin sometimes.

I had that problem for about 2 years once. :D
I think I got life. They won't tell me tho.
I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.

I did determine the original owner as Roger Day. So if you happen to know of him, his gear is available at the Coliseum Flea Market.

Roger was a friend who jumped back in the 70's and 80's.

He died recently (not skydiving related) which may explain the storage unit sale. To my memory, Roger never needed a balloon suit? What color were they?
Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

Balloon sutes were all the rage back then. We had several people jumping them but I don't recall Roger in one.

I drove down to Z-Hills for the Easter Boogie with Roger in 1980. We took a side trip to go over and watch the very first space shuttle launch. He was a great guy, unfortunatly, I lost touch with him over the years. He did some jumps with the Freedom Fliers... were there any Airshow patchs there or photos?

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/twincities/obituary.aspx?n=roger-merrill-day&pid=143249668
Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

The suits were a two piece. They had some patches for 16 way and 24 way. I think a competitors patch for '79 Nats. Instructor/Jumpmaster patch. Don't remember any airshow patches. Also had an RW suit with the pencil thin grippers. The guy said he had some pictures as well. Didn't have any more time to quiz him on the details. Wish I did.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

Yep! Early 90s I bought a rig from someone who was trying to sell it at a pawn shop. Paid 20 or 30 bucks. It was obviously a pretty old rig, still packed, and I couldn't resist. It was damp and moldy, like it was stored in a place that leaked. Turned out to be a "Sod Farm" container (non-TSO) with a StratoStar and a round reserve. The container has R3 releases and is solid red. I still have it. I don't remember what happened to the reserve canopy but I sold the Strat to a guy who wanted to make a kite or something. It was red and black and had rings but was converted to slider at some point. It did have a double bridle (attached to cells 2 and 4) to a single pilot chute. Interesting rig.