Namowal

Do skydiving skills also keep you safer on the ground?

From I've read (I'm quite the noob here) it seems that this sport demands keen awareness as to what's going on in the moment (altitude, body position, avoiding collisions, wind direction, steering, landing on target, flaring, when to cut away etc..).
Do you find that this awareness and focus spills over into non-skydiving activities? For example, do you feel you're more likely to spot potential danger on the road or even walking down the street (I hear muggers prefer surprising preoccupied victims?) Just curious.

p.s. I couldn't find this through the search but if it's been covered before, a link would be appreciated. Thanks!
My blog with the skydiving duck cartoons.

From I've read it seems that this sport demands keen awareness as to what's going on in the moment ... Do you find that this awareness and focus spills over into non-skydiving activities? For example, do you feel you're more likely to spot potential danger on the road or even walking down the street...

I would like to think so... :)But then, maybe I'm just getting more scared as I get older, and pay more attention to dangerous stuff.

Actually, I think it works both ways. Yes, to your question, and also, I have found that people I have trained as student skydivers that are in professions like the military, law enforcement, emergency and health services, and in other potentially dangerous jobs, pay close attention to the dangers in skydiving.

IMO, no.

It's mindset that keeps you safe no matter what you are doing.

If you don't have the safety mindset, no activity is going to provide it for you. It comes from within.

Lots of skilled bozos out there in the sky...and on the road.
Keep and eye out for them.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

From I've read (I'm quite the noob here) it seems that this sport demands keen awareness as to what's going on in the moment (altitude, body position, avoiding collisions, wind direction, steering, landing on target, flaring, when to cut away etc..).
Do you find that this awareness and focus spills over into non-skydiving activities? For example, do you feel you're more likely to spot potential danger on the road or even walking down the street (I hear muggers prefer surprising preoccupied victims?) Just curious.

The bad news is, as many have already said, no. Learning to skydive won't turn you into Jason Bourne.

The good news is that realizing there's a relationship between the awareness of what you're doing and what's happening around you needed in the air to be a good skydiver and the similar awareness needed on the road to be a good driver is, itself, an example of good self-awareness.*

* Note: Yes, I'm aware this sentence is awkward.

I make the claim that my skydiving skills saved my life. A long time ago, at a construction job, I fell off the top of a set of portable bleachers that were folded up. It was 22 feet from the top to the concrete floor.

I went off sideways and time slowed down. I focused on getting my feet below me by grabbing the folded up rows of bleachers as I was on the way down. As my legs swung below me I got my feet and knees together and prepared for a PLF. I hit, rolled and laid there surprised that I wasn’t screaming in pain. I had a slightly twisted ankle. The foreman saw me fall and ran over as I got up and walked it off.

The best part of it was that he sent me home and assured me I would get paid for the full day. I got in my car and drove to the DZ and made a few jumps!
:)

Do you find that this awareness and focus spills over into non-skydiving activities?

I think it may be the other way around to a degree, for me. Your skill level of thinking logically and quick in stressful situations on the ground will prove you to be better in the sky. This is one reason why I feel in love with jumping.

For example, on the ground, I do a lot of skateboarding and mountain biking. I bomb hills on both, jump down stairs and ledges. I have a split second decision whether or not to bail at the last second of landing something cleanly (hopefully) or to know Im going to mess up and get hurt (the point where I bail out and roll out of my fall). I have to be constantly thinking ahead and thinking in the moment at the same time. I adapt that to skydiving.

In general, no.

Specifically, though, the ability to PLF can save you from a lot of injuries. It's not something most people ever learn or practice. Amy (orthopedic surgeon) is of the opinion that if we taught this to more people we'd see fewer broken hips, arms etc in older people.

I would say no, it does not make anything but similar sports much "safer"

HOWEVER, I would venture to say that learning and/or doing ANYTHING active that involves some amount of skill improves the ability to learn and do all other active things.

-SPACE-

The best part of it was that he sent me home and assured me I would get paid for the full day. I got in my car and drove to the DZ and made a few jumps!

Well played, sir. Well played.

Certainly, any life-saving skill you learn, be it skydiving or anything else, will help keep you safer in general. Concepts you learn in the sport like situational awareness, priorities, defensive flying, can all help you in real-life situations. Like you say, it may not make you super-anything but they can help safe your ass someday.
Peace,
-Dawson.
http://www.SansSuit.com
The Society for the Advancement of Naked Skydiving

The ability to assess a situation and recognize various potential outcomes is a valuable survival skill, no matter what activity one might be engaged in.

The question is, does skydiving help you develop and hone that ability (to a degree where it is helpful outside the sport)? Or is it a self selection thing, where people who take up and do well in skydiving do so because they had those general skills to begin with?

Anytime I fall down I PLF and never put my arms out. It has come in handy those times I may have misjudged where my bar stool actually was. :)

Agreed. I learned to hit the ground rolling in martial arts and it became quite helpful when falling off things during play and at work. Learned to PLF in skydiving which was pretty much the same thing.

HOWEVER.... I found that I made my bed much prettier in the mornings, and folding up my work tarps became a lot easier after learning how to pack my parachute. Any time I'm folding up a tarp I think about packing my parachute LOL...
Green Light
"Harry, why did you land all the way out there? Nobody else landed out there."
"Your statement answered your question."

p.s. I couldn't find this through the search but if it's been covered before, a link would be appreciated. Thanks!

I never used to be able to figure out how people rolled slippery ass sleeping bags up before. The damn strings on the end of those things never were long enough. Now that doesn't seem to be a problem any more.

I think my overall awareness level has increased in things in general. I don't know that ther eis much that i could directly relate, but just general response time and things like that.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

any newbie will tell you

skydiving is composed of the greatest and most giving people on earth

you can leave $10,000 in cash lying around at the DZ and it won't be touched - ever

we're a super close family from all over and you crash in anyone's camper without asking

it makes you more attractive

it gives you superman-like reflexes

it gives you 6 pack abs

it makes you a better driver

you smell better

your parents are proud of you more than the others

of course - old timers will tell you that it's just another sport and don't get so caught up in the fact that it makes you feel good from the endorphins

of course - which will you believe?

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

In general, no.

Specifically, though, the ability to PLF can save you from a lot of injuries. It's not something most people ever learn or practice. Amy (orthopedic surgeon) is of the opinion that if we taught this to more people we'd see fewer broken hips, arms etc in older people.

I've often said we should teach PLF's in grade school. :)

any newbie will tell you

skydiving is composed of the greatest and most giving people on earth

you can leave $10,000 in cash lying around at the DZ and it won't be touched - ever

we're a super close family from all over and you crash in anyone's camper without asking

it makes you more attractive

it gives you superman-like reflexes

it gives you 6 pack abs

it makes you a better driver

you smell better

your parents are proud of you more than the others

And here I thought that voodoo only applied to Burning Man ;)
My blog with the skydiving duck cartoons.

I don tknow about safer but i have noticed that my reactions have gotten a bit quicker EG: catch the beer before it spills ect. Although before skydiving i had no fear of flying at all but now have a slight worry in the back of my head when flying cause i dont have a parachute with me.