guineapiggie101

Recurrency

I know this is way early to start being concerned about the recurrence issue, especially since I'm not even sure I will get back into the sport, but here goes.

It's likely that if I do jump again, it won't be for at least 4 months, if not 6 months or longer.

If I am out that long, how much recurrency training will I need? Keep in mind, I have 26 jumps and am freshly off AFF. Sine I'm laid up for now, it will be easier to save up money for this.

I don't remember -- did you get your license yet?

BTW, sorry about your injury. I bet it hurts, it's frustrating, etc...
I'm a jumper. Even though I don't always have money for jumps, and may not ever own a rig again, I'll always be a jumper.

I would guess -- and you have to realize my history, and the fact that I was away from skydiving for effectively 28 years -- but my guess is that, if you return to the same DZ you've been jumping at -- they would probably work on landings with you for a bit, and require one or possibly two jumps with an instructor. At a minimum, I would think the SIM would be reviewed. Hope this all helps, and you might actually GO TO the DZ and speak to an instructor or the S&TA about it. They're all hoping to see your face anyway!

Section 5-2 of the SIM says:

"A. Students
Students who have not jumped within the preceding
30 days should make at least one jump under the
direct supervision of an appropriately rated
USPA Instructor."

and

"D. Long lay-offs
1. Jumpers should receive refresher training appropriate
for their skydiving history and time since their last
skydive.
a. Jumpers who were very experienced and
current but became inactive for a year or more
should undergo thorough training upon returning
to the sport.
b. Skydivers who historically jump infrequently
should review training after layoffs of even less
than a year.
2. Skydiving equipment, techniques, and procedures
change frequently.
a. During recurrency training following long periods
of inactivity, jumpers may be introduced to new
and unfamiliar equipment and techniques.
b. Procedures change to accommodate developments
in equipment, aircraft, flying styles, FAA rules,
and local drop zone requirements.
3. Returning skydivers require thorough practical training
in the following subject areas:
a. aircraft procedures
b. equipment
c. exit and freefall procedures
d. canopy control and landings
e. emergency procedures"
I'm a jumper. Even though I don't always have money for jumps, and may not ever own a rig again, I'll always be a jumper.

guineapiggie,
I am in the exact same boat as you. I haven't jumped in about 4 months and I have not received my A-license. I made a post about this about 2 weeks ago and the advice that I was given is that you'll need to do about 45min to an hour of a refresher course, as well as your 7th AFF jump again. This should help you dust off the cobwebs and ensure that you remember all of your safety procedures. It never hurts to go over things and ensure you are knowledgeable 100%.
Some of the greatest accomplishments were done by people too stupid to know they were impossible.

Just some perspective, since you're in Southern California, where the climate accommodates year-round jumping: many jumpers in northern climes lay-off for 4 to 6 months every winter. As long as you want it, recurrency shouldn't be a problem. Your instructors will assess and tailor refresher training and recurrency jumps suitable to you.