jasonRose

Your reserve ride..... Who Packed it??

Just curious on how many people have had to chop there main because of there own pack job.

It would seem that a lot of mals could be avoided if people would take the time to inspect there gear during packing.
I have been guilty on a few ocassions of trying to rush a packer or myself to try and make a load and have not really inspected my rig. I am sure others out there have done the same.
Some day I will have the best staff in the world!!!

The only reserve ride I have that wasn't packed by a senior rigger was the one packed by a packer.

I'm a senior rigger :P

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Never packed a mal.....but a little wild CRW can heat up the action.
Last 2 reserve rides...reserve not packed by my rigger but a fellow jumper(300jumps) who shows an intrest. He has similar gear and likes to pack his own reserve under the supervision of my rigger....prefers to practice on mine first.
He is very fussy....and knows I will use it sooner or later. No complaints so far.
...mike
P.S.
No charge and he don't drink!
For you rigger types....lopo w/2 bite diaper. :o
-----------------------------------
Mike Wheadon B-3715,HEMP#1
Higher Expectations for Modern Parachutists.

The only reserve ride I have that wasn't packed by a senior rigger was the one packed by a packer.

I'm a senior rigger :P

Wendy W.

I'm there Wendy. I have only one mal and I packed both (rounds) the main (28' C9) and reserve (26' Navy Conical). Luckily, one of them worked ;)

-----------------------
Roger "Ramjet" Clark
FB# 271, SCR 3245, SCS 1519

I had packers when I had both of my mals. No guarantees that they are the reason that I had my mals...just that I had been utilizing their services at the time.

I started packing for myself after my 2nd mal and haven't had one since. However, I will still spoil myself with a packer once in awhile, but now it is only specific individuals that I let pack for me.
Life is short! Break the rules! Forgive quickly! Kiss slowly! Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably. And never regret anything that made you smile.

The only mal I had wasn't a packing issue.
I, being the jackass that I am, pitched out while still rolling over from a backtrack. I was pretty much on my side when I let go of my pilot chute:S

For some strange reason I got spinning line twists:D
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes!

Lent my gear to a pal for the weekend. She brought it back looking a little, shall we say, "higgledy piggledy" ?

Since I was such a great 43-jump hero, I ignored it, jumped the dang thing, did a subterminal deployment and enjoyed a sleeve-lock for a couple-hundred feet.:D

Called her up that night and teased her while she spluttered on the phone....

Now I *always* pack my own rig. Always.

shall
B|

My first reserve ride was caused by another (freefall) student sloppily packing a Cross Bow. The stabilizers knotted together and I had to open a 24' flat reserve. ... don't know which rigger packed that school reserve.
My second malfunction, I packed both the main and reserve. It was my fault as I left the main loop too long after installing a less bulky main.
My third reserve ride, I watched a rigger pack the main in an odd way. Again the stabilizers knotted up and I had to land a conical reserve in a French swamp.
Reserve rides four through 18 were tandems packed by school packers.
My last reserve ride: I packed both main and reserve. A comedy of errors led to to look over my right shoulder just as I got line stretch. That Diablo spun up and dove.

3 of 5 could be packing fault.

One was packed by a 200 jump wonder, silder never come down.

One was packed by me, check by my instructor, on the same rig above, 2nd jump on the rig and the reserve too.

Last one was packed by me, assisted by one of my instructor. 4 broken lines were broken on opening. Lineset was old, I'm not sure if the lack of rolling the nose could do that.

My cutaway on jump #88 was the first time I had someone else pack for me, not counting my first two tandems. My third and fourth tandem before doing PFF were the first two of my own pack jobs I jumped.

Who else has packed their own tandem jumps? Not including instructors or experienced jumpers acting as passengers.

--------------------------------------------------
In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock. ~ Thomas Jefferson

I have 3 reserve rides and really no idea who packed the mains, probably me for at least 2 of them. I do know who packed those 3 reserves though...Larry packed the first one, I packed the other 2.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)