KollegeKay

Videographer

Greetings All!

I'm a newbie to skydiving who have fallen in love with the sky! B| As my profile says, I currently only have 6 jumps under my belt! I know it is way too early for me to work as a video-grapher for a skydiving school, but I was wondering if people could give me some tips. I would like to know where I would shop for the equipment (for when the time comes) and what to look for. Should I choose a helmet cam, or a wrist cam that also takes stills???

All advice/comments are welcome! I'm very ambitious about skydiving and skydiving-related things. I would like to become a video-grapher to help me gain experience with jumping without putting a huge dent in my wallet! As a full-time student, I'm trying to find creative ways to reach my skydiving goals.

Thanks for your time. :)
~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~
---Kollege Kay--,--'-@
Newbie Skydiver

A videographer with over a thousand jumps just told you not to get ahead of yourself on this. That's some pretty good advice for a number of reasons.
Here's a plan: Keep working on your license, one jump at a time.
Don't buy any camera equipment yet, but talk to the videographers at your dz. See what they use; ask them about things.
Maybe you can learn to dub video and pick up some spare change. If not, packing is also a good way for a poor college student to help pay for skydiving.
When you've got at least a C license, revisit this whole topic.
Good luck.
You don't have to outrun the bear.

Thanks for the advice! I guess I'm just eager to do more, especially since my skydiving buddy (also going through AFF with me) was already asking about it to the videographer at the DZ. I've already been working with the video editing, but prioritize the packing over that. This Sunday I will be checked off for packing both a student rig (for my A license) and a tandem rig (to start getting paid). I'm going to use that toward jumps. :)

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~
---Kollege Kay--,--'-@
Newbie Skydiver

>I would like to know where I would shop for the equipment (for when the time comes) and what to look for.

Your best bet is going to be a local video person. They'll both give you advice when you are ready and also tell you what to work on to get ready to begin with. There's a lot of advice that is location, DZ and person specific, so it's best to get that from a local person. For example, here in Perris, Bonehead is a great place to go for a helmet - because the factory is in town and you can go there and get advice on fit, type of helmet etc. But in Maine that might not be the best choice.

I would like to become a video-grapher to help me gain experience with jumping without putting a huge dent in my wallet!

Just working with some round, conservative numbers, you need to spend $1500 on an A license, $3000 on basic equipment, and $5000 on 200 jumps before it's time to think about buying a $1000 camera helmet that you need to spend another $1500 learning to jump before you're ready to earn dime one as a paid videographer. By my math, that's a $12,000 dent in your wallet.

That said, you'll have a license, rig, jumpsuit, altimeter, camera helmet and close to 300 jumps to show for your investment. At that point, you could actually make enough shooting video to pay for all of your other skydiving, provided you can find a DZ to work at where at least half of your jumps are paid jumps. You'll make enough to pay for the other half of your jumps (the 'fun' jumps) and maintain your equipment.

Now you have an idea of what it will take, and I'm sure you can guess how long that will take you. With that in mind, worry about some of the more immediate concerns in your skydiving progression, as cameras and camera helmets literally change every year. If you can achieve all of the above in just two years, that will still be two generations of cameras and camera helmets from what's available now.

For now, relax and enjoy the ride. Stick with the editing gig at the DZ, and try to get in on the packing work as well. Working non-jumping jobs at the DZ is the best way for new jumpers to learn about the sport, and fund their jumps/equipment. Besides, if you have to work another job to pay for your jumping, it might as well be one where you can make a jump on your lunch break (just kidding, editors and packers don't get a lunch break).

Grab a camera... any old box with a shutter will do. Start taking pics on the ground. Some great shots can be taken from there. Take a Photography class and learn about the art.

When it comes time to strap a camera to your helmet, you'll be better prepared. :)

Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

Grab a camera... any old box with a shutter will do. Start taking pics on the ground. Some great shots can be taken from there. Take a Photography class and learn about the art.

When it comes time to strap a camera to your helmet, you'll be better prepared. :)

Sometimes the coolest pics come from just a box with a shutter...or a pinhole.

Maybe you can learn to dub video and pick up some spare change.

this is what i do. i do not have the experience to jump a camera yet. it helps pay for jumps. when the time comes that i can jump a camera i'll already know the theory and the equipment.
"Never grow a wishbone, where your backbone ought to be."

+1 from an artist's point of view. Not from anyone who ever took a photo in freefall.

Learn composition. Too many people don't understand what makes a good photo (or painting) different fundamentally from one that is not. They may, or may not, recognize it if they see it, and most certainly, they don't know how to make it happen.
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

Thanks for the advice! I guess I'm just eager to do more, especially since my skydiving buddy (also going through AFF with me) was already asking about it to the videographer at the DZ. I've already been working with the video editing, but prioritize the packing over that. This Sunday I will be checked off for packing both a student rig (for my A license) and a tandem rig (to start getting paid). I'm going to use that toward jumps. :)

Lots of good advice here, I just wanted to throw something in about packing.

If it doesn't look right, ask. Packing a tandem means you have two people who could potentially get hurt, take your time and do it right. With practice you'll get faster without sacraficing quality. If you don't get the practice packing slower, you may pack faster than all hell, but you miss things. Don't try to race the packer there that's been packing for a while.

Catch a rigger during some down time (when he/she isn't slaving away in the loft:D) and have them point out some of the rigs wear points and what to look for, so you can help keep people safe.

One more thing: a closing loop is NEVER good for 'one more jump'
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

If it doesn't look right, ask. Packing a tandem means you have two people who could potentially get hurt, take your time and do it right.

This is exactly what I have been doing for the past month, actually. I pack slow still because I want to make sure it is right. I only have someone look over my shoulder until I am checked off, which they say I'm ready for. People have already been jumping with the chutes I packed, including my buddy who is doing the AFF with me! He thanked me on the ground for a nice pack job! (It really made me feel good... and he packed mine too!) I have a good eye for detail and have pointed out a few things to the master rigger. :)
After this weekend, I will try to make some week days to get my jumps in for the AFF program since the weekends are mainly for tandems and fun jumps. I was unable to jump last week due to low cloud cover and the possibility of a storm coming in.
~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~
---Kollege Kay--,--'-@
Newbie Skydiver