PWScottIV

NIGHT Helicopter Jumps - Have you done one? PLEASE VOTE!

Can we vote yes for each jump? True, that would ruin your statistic a bit... measuring total views vs yes votes is a bit deceiving as well, right now it's closer to 33%

and what's so special about a 182?

It wouldn't make sense to vote for each time you did one, because the question was "have you done one", not "how many". Yeah, my 2% estimate may be off... However, 25% isn't even close. I personally think it works pretty well to look at the page views as "No" votes. I'm guessing anyone who comes into the thread and HAS done a night jump WILL vote... It's the viewers who haven't done one who are not going to bother voting. Also, think about how many skydivers you know... Then think about how many you truly believe have done a night helicopter jump... You know it's not many... You know it's not every one in four, right? I probably only personally know less than 100 skydivers myself, but to the best of my knowlege none of them have done a night helicopter jump.

The aircraft we're jumping is the FoxHole Aviation FX-950. it's based on the 182 airframe, but that's where the similarities end. It has over 40 major modifications and is the result of over 4 years of re-engineering and coordination with the FAA... It is not just a boring old 182.
Gravity Waits for No One.

Were they cool experiences for you?

Absolutely. Nightjumps are/were my favorite jumps to make from any A/C.
Please enjoy the event. maintain good separation and be safe.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

550 views and 12 "Yes" votes... Still right at 2%... Seems like that value is staying remarkably stable.

Every time you load this thread, you increment the "views" counter. Same here. I've viewed this thread three times, but only have one "no" vote. How many times have you loaded this thread? It doesn't show unique views.

That being said, overall I believe night helicopter jumps are exceedingly rare in skydiving. There was a place near here that did them once or twice a month for a few years, and I have a lot of friends who have done them. I never did because helicopter jumps tend to cost way too much for what I get out of them, day or night.

I do love night jumps though, and just did my 8th and 9th last night.
Brian

550 views and 12 "Yes" votes... Still right at 2%... Seems like that value is staying remarkably stable.

Every time you load this thread, you increment the "views" counter. Same here. I've viewed this thread three times, but only have one "no" vote. How many times have you loaded this thread? It doesn't show unique views.

That being said, overall I believe night helicopter jumps are exceedingly rare in skydiving. There was a place near here that did them once or twice a month for a few years, and I have a lot of friends who have done them. I never did because helicopter jumps tend to cost way too much for what I get out of them, day or night.

I do love night jumps though, and just did my 8th and 9th last night.

I know, and I did mention that above. But in reality, most jumpers are probably only going to check this tread out once on average... Even if you consider two views on average, we're still looking at only 4%... Like you said, no matter how you look at it, night helicopter jumps ARE very rare as far as recreational skydiving goes.

I have quite a few, a friend ran a helicopter flight school at the airport across from where I worked...When I was on the night shift he would take me up for a bandit hop & pop into the parking lot at work.

Use to drive security nuts because you had to scan your ID badge to get in and out, mine would scan out for lunch but not back in afterwards...however I was obviously on the shop floor until the end of the shift. :ph34r:

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

I have quite a few, a friend ran a helicopter flight school at the airport across from where I worked...When I was on the night shift he would take me up for a bandit hop & pop into the parking lot at work.

Use to drive security nuts because you had to scan your ID badge to get in and out, mine would scan out for lunch but not back in afterwards...however I was obviously on the shop floor until the end of the shift. :ph34r:

Cool story! Isn't skydiving awesome!?

When my husband was stationed in Hawaii, we used to jump with the club from Schofield Barracks. Small club with not very experienced jumpers, but it was free B|

Flying "nap of the earth" down in the canyons below ridge-line was scary-great fun, too! :o

lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

When my husband was stationed in Hawaii, we used to jump with the club from Schofield Barracks. Small club with not very experienced jumpers, but it was free B|

Flying "nap of the earth" down in the canyons below ridge-line was scary-great fun, too! :o

Wow!:o Can't beat free!

A couple of years ago at the freefall convention, after the 412 incident, they got these yahoos with a Sikorsky helicopter for the helo jumps. As we were getting on the "crew chief" was telling everyone 8 seconds between groups. I guess he heard a bell ring but he wasn't sure where. Anyway we volunteered to be the last group out and pulled pretty high. Be careful.
Replying to: Re: Stall On Jump Run Emergency Procedure? by billvon

If the plane is unrecoverable then exiting is a very very good idea.

A couple of years ago at the freefall convention, after the 412 incident, they got these yahoos with a Sikorsky helicopter for the helo jumps. As we were getting on the "crew chief" was telling everyone 8 seconds between groups. I guess he heard a bell ring but he wasn't sure where. Anyway we volunteered to be the last group out and pulled pretty high. Be careful.

Thanks for the advice... We're taking 3 jumpers per load, so that shouldn't be too much of an issue hopefully.