Namowal

Any latebloomers to skydiving?

When asked about how they got started in skydiving, typical (perhaps stereotypical?) answers seem to be "Oh, I always wanted to do that" or "I've been jumping off stuff since I could climb."
I'm curious about the exceptions.
Did any of you grow up thinking "I could never jump out of a plane," only to end up doing exactly that, years later, when you learned more about the sport?
My blog with the skydiving duck cartoons.

That's me, actually. I have naturally high anxiety, am afraid of heights, and dislike roller coasters. If you would have told me two years ago that I would not only have made one skydive, but that I would get sucked into the sport, I would have laughed.

Now-a-days, I'm just itching to get to altitude.

I just clicked on this thread to see what age you considered someone to be a "late bloomer". :ph34r:

I started skydiving in 2000 at age 34. I was never into jumping/flying/risk or such. The comment I heard from most people when I did my tandem was, "you went skydiving? But, you're so reserved!"

I'm still pretty reserved and my life is totally centered around being a mom, but I've definitely embraced the thrill-seeker side of me that developed after that first tandem.

She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

i've been at it for almost 4 Decades,,, but i still have Yet To Bloom !!!!!! However i AM enjoying the ride and i try to carry On, carryin' On....B|

skymama, " reserved" is a fine way to be... But showing your kids that Adventure and Excitement CAN go hand in hand with caution,,,,,and common sense, is a very good example for your children.....I have a feeling that they are VERY proud of you....
Our sport IS a rare one,,, in that folks of alll ages,,,, IF they are in reasonable physical condition,, and IF they can "keep their wits about them"... CAN learn how to safely participate in the sport..
Young AND Old.. Male And Female... it's a fantastic hobby/ sport , in that regard and often, latebloomers are the ones more likely to be in the position, time-wise and money -wise to become active in the sport......
:)jmy

The first thing I heard about parachuting activities were the news about the early Trollveggen fatalities in the 80s here in Norway, so I thought I'd NEVER start jumping off stuff.

But then, when I was 28 and had just kicked out my BF, I started doing just that.

:)

Relax, you can die if you mess up, but it will probably not be by bullet.

I'm a BIG, TOUGH BIGWAY FORMATION SKYDIVER! What are you?

I had wanted to do it as a kid but forgot all about it until last year at the ripe old age of 40!! Now i cant get enough!! I know when i was younger i probably wouldnt of had the money to get licensed and buy a rig like i have done.
Wait , I pull what first?

I have a fear of heights, not rollercoasters but climbing walls, abseiling, mountaineering etc will never become hobbies of mine. I started SL mostly to get over that. I racked up 2k+ jumps but it didn't work, I'm still afraid of heights :S

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Well, I guess I qualify as a latebloomer!! It never occured to me that people jumped from planes for fun or that I would like doing it. But then, I did a tandem as an extra credit assignment for a physics class I was taking. And can you say instantly hooked!!! latebloomer part??? I was 57 years old at the time. That was a few months short of four years ago and I haven't looked back! I'm almost to 900 jumps now and still jumping and learning. My latest adventure is learning to do CReW. Thanks to some awesome CReW dawgs, I got my four stack a couple of weeks ago.
"safety first... and What the hell.....
safety second, Too!!! " ~~jmy

POPS #10490

I thought of something completely different at first when I read the subject ;) Look here - should explain itself even though it's German (and, ironically, run by an American lady who lives near Frankfurt)

But now seriously: I grew up knowing I could never skydive. Was something for cracks, totally fit, full of muscles and in the military. Me, suffering from asthma and skydiving - never! So I found it interesting whenever I saw canopies but never gave it a serous thought. The Wall came down, many things improved, medication amongst them and so my asthma got better and in 2001 at the age of 40 I got a nice present: A voucher for a tandem jump. Did it, and got to know that "normal" people could do it. Got hooked, started, stayed... and now I'm giving students a ride myself. B|

The sky is not the limit. The ground is.

The Society of Skydiving Ducks

First jump: 51 years old. The rest is history.

My first jump was also at 51, and I just did my 1000th at Lost Prairie at age 58. Just a few behind you:)
"We saved your gear. Now you can sell it when you get out of the hospital and upsize!!" "K-Dub"

"

I started skydiving when I was 42. At the time a good friend of mine was a hard core jumper at The Blue Sky Ranch and I was flying sailplanes from a nearby airport. We used to argue endlessly about what a stupid activity jumping out of (I won't say it) airplanes is. Then when I started flying my own glider I wore a Mini-Softie emergency parachute. I figured I should go make a skydive, just to be prepared in case I ever needed to bail out of my glider and do something with that odd looking silver handle. Cut to: today. Glider sold, The Ranch is one of my favorite places to spend the weekend. Sometimes it's great to be wrong!
www.wci.nyc

Excellent. I went to Lost Prairie two years ago and had a great time. Don't get complacent -- I had a hard landing two months ago and I am still down and recovering. 54 year old bodies don't heal like 21 year olds!
Charlie Gittins, 540-327-2208
AFF-I, Sigma TI, IAD-I
MEI, CFI-I, Senior Rigger
Former DZO, Blue Ridge Skydiving Adventures