mixedup

flying circuit in 1/2 brakes

I'm learning to fly the circuit at full drive.

I've noted in an older parachuting video they are teaching flying the circuit (e.g. downwind/base etc) in 1/2 brakes (pretty sure it was half brakes, it was definately partial brakes)

Any comments on this? Is the standard approach these days across the world for students to fly circuit at full drive/toggles up?
Parachutist Game IOS Android YouT

Some canopy coaches teach that flying in "some" brakes is the right thing to do. It slows everything down and makes it easier to hit check points.

It also allows adjustment for being too high or too low without the need for dangerous s-turns or sashays:

Too high? Go to full flight to sink out more.
Too low? Add a little more brakes to float to your next checkpoint.

Having said that, this is an issue upon which not everyone agrees (no shit, right? ;)).

I've noted in an older parachuting video they are teaching flying the circuit (e.g. downwind/base etc) in 1/2 brakes (pretty sure it was half brakes, it was definately partial brakes)

Any comments on this? Is the standard approach these days across the world for students to fly circuit at full drive/toggles up?

It's good to be able to fly a pattern in a variety of flight modes as different landing area and canopy traffic situations call for it. Here's a post I made a couple years ago on the subject.

Is the standard approach these days across the world for students to fly circuit at full drive/toggles up?

At 7 jumps? Yup, full-flight is the first mode you'll learn to fly the pattern in. Your instructors will introduce you to more canopy skills as you progress.

Any comments on this?

It's one technique to adjust canopy speed for the conditions, as others commented on. I fine-tune the flight during my approach depending on my ground position, winds at and under 1000', and (especially) other canopy traffic.

I'll frequently fly the downwind and base legs with medium-light toggle pressure (perhaps 1/4 brakes) as it gives me options either way; more brakes to slow the descent, and less to speed it up.

Light brakes also gives you adjustment options when turning throughout the pattern; if you're already in some degree of brakes, you can make a braked turn to loose less altitude than a typical turn at full-flight.

Chances are good your student program includes an introduction to these techniques. Just be sure to take direction from your instructors and not take comments here to the air without discussion first since the instructors will be familiar with your abilities.
--
Radio

Flying your landing pattern in half-brakes works great on large canopies specifically built for precision landing competition (Jalbert Para-Foil. Eiff, PD Zero, etc.).
Keep in mid that those large, docile canopies fly so slowly that a flare is ALMOST optional.

Try a half-brakes approach with a small, heavily-loaded sport canopy and you be disappointed by how little it flares. Your ankles will NOT enjoy that experiment!

Far wiser to fly most of your landing pattern in half-brakes, but by 300 feet, let the toggles all the way up and do a regular flared landing. Your ankles will thanks you for flaring properly.