nigel99

Changing the culture

I was speaking more so in a general way, describing the general populus attitude here..

Yes, don't be stupid and pound into the ground by doing obvious mistakes..

More rules won't fix that, proper education and motivation will.
"All limits are self imposed." Icarus

The new slogan should be "Up yours":ph34r:

I like this:D:D

Krisane I read your thread and it was very interesting.

DSE, Diablopilot and others it is interesting to see that you have upsized.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

Some folks are into the skydive, and the parachute is merely a mechanism to safely get one back on the ground. Swooping does not need to be a component.

And some folks skydive because they are into the parachute. The skydive is just a mechanism to get to go swoop.

Hi Dave,

What are your thoughts about traditional accuracy? Do you think that the USPA should be promoting more "low speed" canopy piloting?

By the way I think that swooping the pond looks pretty awesome. For me it will always be like watching the Blue Angels or Red Arrows, the stuff to fantasize about doing.

Nigel
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

Some folks are into the skydive, and the parachute is merely a mechanism to safely get one back on the ground. Swooping does not need to be a component.

And some folks skydive because they are into the parachute. The skydive is just a mechanism to get to go swoop.

Hi Dave,

What are your thoughts about traditional accuracy? Do you think that the USPA should be promoting more "low speed" canopy piloting?

By the way I think that swooping the pond looks pretty awesome. For me it will always be like watching the Blue Angels or Red Arrows, the stuff to fantasize about doing.

Nigel

No, not traditional accuracy, they should be promoting something akin to what is held at Collegiates which is "sport accuracy." Think of it as a hit-n-chug where stand-ups count, with out the beer. However, part of the problem starts in that accuracy is often encouraged in the student program, with out the progressive life saving skills to promote safe and accurate flying.

What I've seen at a lot of the DZ's I've visited is that the up-jumper canopy control ability is incredibly poor. Even the "safe" jumpers with a few thousand jumps are flying their canopies unsafely and really setting a bad example. To them they have no desire to learn how to fly a canopy correctly or safely, it is only a way to land and go jump again. Then again, those are also the jumpers we see with reoccurring minor injuries and those are the jumpers who are typically the first to yell at a swooper.

This thread is right, the culture has to change, but it isn't just the swoopers.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

No, not traditional accuracy, they should be promoting something akin to what is held at Collegiates which is "sport accuracy." Think of it as a hit-n-chug where stand-ups count, with out the beer. However, part of the problem starts in that accuracy is often encouraged in the student program, with out the progressive life saving skills to promote safe and accurate flying.

What I've seen at a lot of the DZ's I've visited is that the up-jumper canopy control ability is incredibly poor. Even the "safe" jumpers with a few thousand jumps are flying their canopies unsafely and really setting a bad example. To them they have no desire to learn how to fly a canopy correctly or safely, it is only a way to land and go jump again. Then again, those are also the jumpers we see with reoccurring minor injuries and those are the jumpers who are typically the first to yell at a swooper.

This thread is right, the culture has to change, but it isn't just the swoopers.

Thanks excellent feedback.

Again, human psychology, the more you refuse / deny / enforce something, the more people want to disobey..

A sure sign of immaturity.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Again, human psychology, the more you refuse / deny / enforce something, the more people want to disobey..

A sure sign of immaturity.

i'm still of the opinion that education is the key. calling someone "immature" is just that; tough i agree with you on THIS one! ;)
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

"... some folks want teenie rigs on their backs cuz they look more cool.

"

....................................................................................

Teenie rigs make your @$$ look FAT!

Hah!
Hah!

WHAM!!!!
:D:D
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

To accomplish anything you need to lose the chip on your shoulder and admit to yourself there is a problem.

There are more opportunities for education available today then at any time in the history of the sport. Particularly in canopy control. You have formal classes, books, DVD’s and mentorship at most DZ’s.

Yet the carnage continues at an alarming rate. Going small and then going big is an attitude and culture of lemmings. They all want to be like the “big boys” but are too fucking lazy to put in the time and effort it takes to develop the skill needed. So they proceed to kill and maim themselves and often take other with them. You made reference to dz.com being immature; this is the pinnacle of immature, spoiled brats doing what they want regardless of consequence.

My suggestion would be to enact a few very reasonable rules that would be agreeable to all but a few idiots. The main emphases would be being a threat to others. Then enforce them without exception. Make sure that the consequences of stepping outside of reason are harsh. First time grounded for 30 days, second time grounded for 6 months, third time you are gone for good. We would probably lose a few jumpers but that is already happening.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

apparently, it's mostly the "old and wise" jumpers hooking themselves in; i believe you are contradicting yourself..

anyway, this is the internet, and i'd rather trust my local mentors or coaches than anyone from here..

BTW, i dont know if you've noticed, but most of the REALLY good fliers, be them canopy pilots or whatever, hardly ever post on here.
-Hunter S. Thompson
-Yoda

BTW, i dont know if you've noticed, but most of the REALLY good fliers, be them canopy pilots or whatever, hardly ever post on here.

Brilliant, what’s that say about us?

But I have an excuse, I am retired and no longer jump. So that leaves just you. ;)

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Brilliant, what’s that say about us?

But I have an excuse, I am retired and no longer jump. So that leaves just you. ;)

Sparky

got anything else to say to the rest of my post!?
-Hunter S. Thompson
-Yoda

What are you talking about? There are some top level canopy pilots around. Ian is on the PDFT (they're "kinda" good canopy pilots). Even Windmiller posts, although a bit less than he used to.

Yet we don't see Nick or Jay post here ;)

So?

I would argue that Jay would say about the same thing as Nick to a jumper with 200 jumps trying to jump a Katana 135 (for example). Which would be about the same answer that Scott and Bobo have. Which is similar to the answer that Ian has given on the subject.

There really isn't a magic trick when it comes to canopy piloting. There are some fundamentals that must to be mastered before moving on and those are refined to a fine edge over the course of thousands of jumps.

This sport is littered with death and life changing injuries from the people who thought there was a short cut.

There really isn't a magic trick when it comes to canopy piloting. There are some fundamentals that must to be mastered before moving on and those are refined to a fine edge over the course of thousands of jumps.

Well said. +1
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

What are you talking about? There are some top level canopy pilots around. Ian is on the PDFT (they're "kinda" good canopy pilots). Even Windmiller posts, although a bit less than he used to.

so, same question to you as to sparky which he never replied to: why does it seem it's mostly skydivers with THOUSANDS of jumps hooking themselves in and sometimes killing others in the process!?

you know, it's not that i disagree completely with what you guys have to say, not at all.

apparently, having learned over the "course of thousands of jumps" doesnt save you from dying under a perfectly good canopy.

and whenever this is brought up, the forum goes completely silent..

^^i have an idea why that is.. but i'd like to hear it from someone else.

besides, i think ian hasnt only broken bones once but twice IIRC.
would you tell ian he should upsize!?
-Hunter S. Thompson
-Yoda