nigel99

Changing the culture

so, same question to you as to sparky which he never replied to: why does it seem it's mostly skydivers with THOUSANDS of jumps hooking themselves in and sometimes killing others in the process!?

I don’t have an answer for you. My gut feeling is that the ones going in with several thousand jumps are dedicated swoopers. They swoop after a skydive and get away with long enough to get complacent. But it shouldn’t take a genus to realize that if a jumper with thousands of jumps can die some kid with less than 500 should have the sense to go slow. But that doesn’t seem to be the case.

Now do you feel all warm and fuzzy?

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Some folks are into the skydive, and the parachute is merely a mechanism to safely get one back on the ground. Swooping does not need to be a component.

And some folks skydive because they are into the parachute. The skydive is just a mechanism to get to go swoop.

+1

Sadly last summer I sold my JVX 87 (I have not seen an incident report from the fellow who bought it, so it looks like it might have found a good home). I only sold the JVX 87 because I was no longer living in the part of the world where I could jump every week on it and thought I might be a hazard to myself if I continued to jump such a high performance wing while being uncurrent. But people must understand, some of us got to the point where that is all we wanted to do, was to swoop. Freefall is fun, but swooping was what I really enjoyed from the sport. If people are going big swooping on regular loads, then that is the culture that needs to change. But there is no harm with a dedicated hop n' swooper in doing their thing. One size does not fit all.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

And ban high performance canopy piloting, cause it's setting a bad example! :D

70 some posts in this thread and you are the only one that has mentioned banning anything.

As for 2700 jumps and 35 years I’ve never been ashamed to reveal my history in the sport. I did mange to survive in the sport longer than you’ve been alive.

Sparky

you have to admit - that guy has a talent of stirring up some flame wars! He could even make it useful with time and proper education.
I told that to him back in the day when he was still known under a different name. The name we all learned to love so much here on dz.com ;). But I may be telling too much already - ruins half of the fun...:)

why does it seem it's mostly skydivers with THOUSANDS of jumps hooking themselves in and sometimes killing others in the process!?

Maybe because the answer is so obvious that it's not worth the time and effort.

For you, I'll put it out there...

-People try to outfly their ass or,
-they haven't learned as much as they think they have or,
-humans make mistakes

That all applies regardless of experience level.

Some get hurt or die in the process.

Funny how that applies to life and not just to skydiving, isn't it?

It's also funny how people point fingers all around them trying to deflect attention from their own lack of responsibility.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

And ban high performance canopy piloting, cause it's setting a bad example! :D

If it would keep attitudes like yours out of the sky then I'd go for it in toto.

We also need to somehow isolate gramps jumpers like popsjumper, make special DZ's for them, kinda like retirement homes where they put all the unwanted old people, so they could play bingo and cry to each other how the new generation doesn't listen and respect them :D

"All limits are self imposed." Icarus

great, we'll let pops decide, he has the answers to each and everything!

You're still young and learning the basics...you'll get there someday. Just hang in there.

We also need to somehow isolate gramps jumpers like popsjumper, make special DZ's for them, kinda like retirement homes where they put all the unwanted old people, so they could play bingo and cry to each other how the new generation doesn't listen and respect them :D

Don't kid yourself. Pops will be around for your ash dive. We can do it like we did it back in the day, form a circle and piss in your crater. ;)

Sparky

Back to the original topic....

Nigel, you are correct in your thinking about "culture".

Accuracy seems to have been pushed to the back burner, doesn't it? Same for Style & Accuracy. Same for Speed Star.

When I started, all those things were the top dogs in the competition world. You were raised on style and accuracy and such. Then came organized formation skydiving and then came "freeflying".

Ahhhh but alas, like everything else, times change...technology changes...mindets change and swooping bacame the top dog.

It's unfortunate that such a great spectator-friendly skydiving activity comes with such great danger to the participants.

One good thing is that serious swoopers take safety to heart. Weekend warriors not so much.

One bad thing is that even the most diligent can, and do, make mistakes.

Every discipline is susceptible to injury. We can only minimize the danger, not eliminate it. So, in the big scheme of things, we are going to have injuries in every discipline and the goal is to minimize them. The problem is that it's hard to get majority agreement on just how to do that.

Really, it boils down to the individual. Does he want to abide by any guidelines or rules or not. Does he have the self-control to build skills or does he want it NOW.

We live in a world where self-gratification is the primary mindset. Skydiving is a microcosm of the society in which it exists. Believe it or not, it's not as bad now as it was back in the "Me" generation.

Does anyone have a be-all to end-all solution? No. There will always be those who deem themselves exceptions to the rule.

I just hope things mellow out before the FAA puts its big foot down. I feel like and ant in the middle of a parade.

I just hope things mellow out before the FAA puts its big foot down.

Ain't gonna happen. According to everything this shoulda happened ages ago..

It's like you're trying to scare little kids with the boogieman :D
"All limits are self imposed." Icarus

Thanks for the post Andy,

We live in a world where self-gratification is the primary mindset. Skydiving is a microcosm of the society in which it exists.

I couldn't agree more.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.