brokemyback

Lower back fracture, fusion- will it ever be safe to skydive again?

Hello all, newbie to the forums, but as you can see from the name I have a little issue going on right now. I did my first tandem out here at a ranch in Mid Missouri, loved it, and planned on going back out...

Then last week I was hit by a car while on my bike, etc, and ended up with a compression fracture of my L1 vertebrae. I now have the T12 to the L2 vertebrae fused together by rod and screws...

So basically my question is, will it ever be safe to jump again dow the road? I was assuming the G forces and pull back would be a little much on the spine, but I figured I would see if anyone knew someone/has had a similar injury and does just fine with it. Thanks

I’ve jumped over ten years after having S1-L4,5 removed with a double laminectomy and have been jumping with a C5,6, & 7 fused with a titanium plate. Although many doctors will tell you that you should never skydive regardless of your injury, my advice is still that you ask your doctor’s opinion.

I had L4-S1 fused 10 years ago. No hardware, just donor bone. Waited a year to get back in the air and then did about 200 jumps the following year. I've also taken up backpacking since then; did 100 miles on the PCT a few years ago.

A fusion doesn't have to keep you from living the life you want to live. Be diligent about PT now and stretching and strengthening your core in the future. You may have some lingering pain for the rest of your life but you can limit it with exercise.

Be sure to let your instructors know about it when you start your student training. When it's time to buy gear you'll likely want a main with a reputation for slow and soft openings, and you'll want to pay special attention to learning to land it well.

Definitely talk to your surgeon about it though. I am not a doctor, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. ;)

I know several people jumping with fusions. I have C3/4 & C5/6. I know one guy with several lumbar fusions, and he's going strong. My doctor was very cautious after my fusion, and wanted me to wait 6 months before jumping. I didn't agree, but I waited anyway. I've been back jumping for 3 years now with no problems.
There are battered women? I've been eating 'em plain all of these years...

L12-5 fused, plus bolt across SI joint (both), and plate over pubis with 6 long screws into symphisys pubis.
2K jumps since that incident, still goin' strong.

I use canopies known for soft openings, have had a cracker or two, and been fine.

Well, thank you all for the responses, looks like I won't permanently be out of the sky after all. I'll definitely be giving it a lot of time to heal, stretching and exercising, etc. Like i say, i've only completed my first tandem jump so far...obviously loved it tho, and plan on continuing with a best friend of mine in the future. Being harnessed to an instructor (and me weighing 205) for the tandem obviously put a little strain on my lower back, so this is where a bit of my concern came from....but I'm sure my next few jumps will be easier since I won't have to be strapped up to an instructor and the chute will be supporting me directly instead.

I had L4 fused with bars in Feb 2009 and was back in the air by May 2009. Aggressive physical therapy got me back with no problems.

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, Shouting "...holy shit...what a ride!"