michaelknote

Startskydiving in Middletown Ohio

So I am going to make this as short and "sweet" as possible. Went yesterday to take a few pics of some friends. I was standing underneath the waiting area were everyone sits before they jump and was told that was too close and needed to be back behind the yellow line. I then looked at the hangers and asked if I could take some photos from over in that area. I was told that was not a possiblity. Then some guy walks up to me and tells me about parachutes how they are dangerous, and how I could get killed. I kept my mouth shut the entire time the guy was feeding me lines of bs reasons why it was not possible to stand "off the field" on the sidelines. Now the fun parts of the story are this, I fly airplanes on occasion. I also hang around with jumpmasters all the time. So I know some FAA regulations and I can respect what you say but don't feed me lines just because its your businesses bottom line. The reason you mainly have these rules the Rv's in the way of the landing areas, all three of them and the main set up is your businesses charging for photos for the jumps. I don't have any issues for you charging I don't even want to be in your way. The way you handled or handle someone that is taking pics though is a bit absurd. Especially when I personally have paid for some of my friends and family in the past to use your services. You offer a good service, but the way you handled the situation with someone wanting to take photos, not such a good thing. I wasn't selling the photos, I wasnt doing anything to make profit from them. Also the people that went bought your packages anyway. So as it happens I know some people and ended up sitting off on the side of the airstrip, completely away from everything but still with the ability to actually take some pictures. I don't appreciate it if your telling people they can't be in an area but if I have a hanger rental from the airport that rule does not apply. Further more the amount of ground traffic through that location as far as safety goes made what you said to be a literal joke. I mean seriously, I think much less of your company now for even not providing a place for a photographer. There are shots that your people can get that a regular photographer wouldnt have access to anyway. I think one of your concerns would be a mass of people in an area to take photos. There is a concern with that but if someone is genuine and asking to take some photos, don't feed them safety lines that are not apart of the FAA regulations and not even practical as far as a parachute being able to hurt me standing directly aside a building. If they would have hit me they would have had to go through a building understanding winds and things. Secondly on a side note something I noticed that is a Major concern is your spotters need a hot lesson because I know something that is against FAA regulations that happened on more than one occasion yesterday is that your jumpers went through clouds on their way down. Thats highly illegal because your not equipped with the right equipment for that. Your ceiling levels were terrible yesterday anyway but still when your skydiver hits the ground and yells out who the hell is the spotter I went through a cloud, maybe thats something you need to review a bit too. The people were nice, I grant them that and as far as business practice goes, definately will go back. As far as the minor details, I would say might want to check back with that. Thanks for a fun ride.

Wow...I think that affliction is called 'stream of consciousness'.

Near as I can tell you wanted to take some pictures and were told you weren't allowed access to the areas you wanted. Then you didn't like that some other entity was allowed to take pictures but you weren't.

Too bad.
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

Some notes:

1) Yes, DZ's do have areas where it is unsafe to stand even if the FAA doesn't list them as unsafe. Putting a camera in front of your face is a great way to blind yourself to the skydiver who screwed up and is landing long - and the DZ may not want to deal with the resultant injury.

2) Just because you are a pilot or have a hangar does not give you any "rights" to be where you want on someone's DZ.

3) If you don't think that a parachute can hurt you because you are near the side of a building or vehicle, then you do not understand skydiving well enough to be able to be near an active skydiving operation.

4) There is no "right equipment" for cloud punching. It's indicative of a mistake the spotter made; it happens sometimes.