jrmrangers

Break off signal?

I keep forgetting to ask at the DZ if there is a standard break off signal skydivers use. I just recently got my license so when i jump with other people and we get to break off altitude is there a signal to give , besides waving bye bye like ive been doing?
Wait , I pull what first?

I usually shoot the bird...

Yup, that's one of my common ones. Depending who I'm jumping with, I might flip them 500' high and by the time they're stable, they see my ass tracking away laughing. (I don't do this to anyone that isn't able to recover or anyone that is going to freak out about it)
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

I keep forgetting to ask at the DZ if there is a standard break off signal skydivers use. I just recently got my license so when i jump with other people and we get to break off altitude is there a signal to give , besides waving bye bye like ive been doing?

I usually just get under the formation and throw out a red bandanna. :)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

I usually just get under the formation and throw out a red bandanna. :)

Orange bandanna, when are you going to learn?:P

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

When it's time to leave, leave - and do it with gusto. If others start tracking first, take the hint.

Haha I agree wholeheartedly Chuck, but a funny story - did some RW with a guy from a Cessna DZ (we have a King Air) and I guess he wasnt used to full altitude - we were turning points and at 7.5K this guy turns and tracks like hell! The rest of us glanced at our altimeters, glanced at each other, and kept going to 4.5 :ph34r:
When we were all down, he apologized and said his internal clock was screaming at him. SO, next jump the guy does the same thing! :D

As for me and my house, we will serve the LORD...

I guess I asked for all the wise cracks. Believe me I wait for no one when it comes time break off I was just wondering if there was a universal sign that's not in the books, kinda like the handshake on the plane. Let the flaming continue, thanks

I think the only universal signal is actually tracking away. I've seen people do a quick wave and then track (I've done that myself). Realistically, your best bet is to follow your dive plan and bail when it's time to bail. If you're jumping with other low timers, don't rely on or feel obligated to give a signal.

Thanks Daniel, I actually have chosen only high jump number people to jmp with so far so it hasn't been a problem. I've been told I track well and on course so I'm fairly confident in my ability to keep myself safe so far. Maybe next weekend I'm at the Ranch we can jump together!

I cannot believe that with all the macho bravado replies nobody has mentioned the time honored signal that was universally taught back in the old days.

It's a very simple wave off, done with both hands, then you turn and track. This comes from a time before people had audibles and breakoffs were at lower altitudes than nowadays (typically 3500 ft, 4000 ft for bigger 16 Way size stuff, and 4500 for the truly big 30+ size formations).

Even now, I still use this sign if my Pro Dytter goes off and nobody else seems to be leaving. I give two quick little waves, then I turn & burn.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

I cannot believe that with all the macho bravado replies nobody has mentioned the time honored signal that was universally taught back in the old days.

Speaking of universally know signals, what does it mean if you stick your tongue out?

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

I KNow this one I know this one! Everything is ok! or alteast that what is was at my little cessna dz. Everywhere I have jumped (Aus, Korea and Thailand) I, and the other people I have jumped with, have waived before turning and tracking...

Speaking of universally know signals, what does it mean if you stick your tongue out?

Sparky

Every time I did this, someone tried to stick their tongue down my throat. :P On a serious note, IIRC, it was just to say "I'm having a blast, take a picture".

lisa
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

It's a very simple wave off, done with both hands, then you turn and track. This comes from a time before people had audibles and breakoffs were at lower altitudes than nowadays (typically 3500 ft, 4000 ft for bigger 16 Way size stuff, and 4500 for the truly big 30+ size formations).

A wave off, to me means, I'm deploying. If you wave off before tracking, I shit my pants and get the fuck out of dodge because "you're deploying". If I see the soles of someone's feet tracking away from me, I know they are done skydiving and they've signaled their break off.

To me, waving off is a waste of altitude. You could have used that two or three extra seconds tracking (or finishing the point) and we would have gotten more separation. The soles of your feet tracking away makes it very clear that you're done with the jump.

I'm also a big fan of not checking your altimeter between tracking, waving off and deploying. Why are you checking your altimeter? Are you checking to see if you were low? If so, wouldn't you have liked that extra three-four seconds (~800 feet) to deploy higher?