douwanto

The New Skyride??????

Its just like all the internet travelling services. People prefer to go online and book with a 3rd party website than call the actual hotel. The hotels loose a little on each room booked by the site but they get far more bookings so they actually make more. Its the same thing.

You are right, I did knowingly use the service. It was not online, it was a local service here in Nashville, but Knowing what I know now, I'd rather make the three calls I made to book my Room/Air/Car. The whole second trip was booked in about 30 mins after about an hour of online research through the airlines sites, and I ultimately used the links in Jason's site to find the Punta Maracayo, and called I AVIS direct. I saved 1400 for about 1.5 hour of my time.

The whole point was to make an example of a true life situation of the middle man raping the customer's bank acct.
Refuse to Lose!!!
Failure is NOT an option!
1800skyrideripoff.com
Nashvilleskydiving.org

I know that SkyRide is scamming people, but us ceasing to take their customers will, in no way, slow them down.

This is simply not true. The ultimate solution to the Skyride problem is, and has always been, in the hands of those that take their coupons. If the collective whole refuses to take their coupons, they will go away, as they will no longer have a product to sell. It's no more complicated than that. Period.

"If all you ever do is all you ever did, then all you'll ever get is all you ever got."

You are right, I did knowingly use the service. It was not online, it was a local service here in Nashville, but Knowing what I know now, I'd rather make the three calls I made to book my Room/Air/Car. The whole second trip was booked in about 30 mins after about an hour of online research through the airlines sites, and I ultimately used the links in Jason's site to find the Punta Maracayo, and called I AVIS direct. I saved 1400 for about 1.5 hour of my time.

The whole point was to make an example of a true life situation of the middle man raping the customer's bank acct.

Its not like you didn't have a choice. You could have taken the time to learn what you know now before you booked but you took the easy route.....who's fault is that?

Dude, that is a pretty lame and entirely unrelated analogy. People use travel agents as a luxury to save time and effort. It's a one stop shop and the advantage is convenience not savings so shame on you for not doing the research you are always preaching about.

Here is a better example: I have been a DJ for 9 years now. 95% of my business is weddings. I use a booking agency for many of my gigs. Why? Because it is a trade off that is very fair and promotes a great business. So what is the trade off? They get $300 of each one of my weddings that book for $895-$1200. I know what you are thinking, WOW, that is a big cut. Yes, it is, BUT, as i mentioned they send me a LOT of business. I would make far less money if i didn't use them. Not to mention, they handle ALL of the marketing, advertising, and sales. So yes, i use a middle man, but without it I would not do what i do. If i eliminated the middleman i would make FAR less money, and spend dozens of hours each week handling my own marketing and advertising and following up with leads. In other words the middleman allows me to make more money by allowing me to concentrate my time on something i am good at instead of half assing the business end of it.

See any similarities?

You do your own marketing, sales, and advertising. Good for you. Not everyone has the same skills, and some people would rather pay someone else to do it that is better at it than they are. This will increase sales and free up the DZOs to actually do what they are good at, run DZs.
"If this post needs to be moderated I would prefer it to be completly removed and not edited and butchered into a disney movie" - DorkZone Hero

Dude, that is a pretty lame and entirely unrelated analogy. People use travel agents as a luxury to save time and effort. It's a one stop shop and the advantage is convenience not savings so shame on you for not doing the research you are always preaching about.

You are totally right, and that is what I was talking about. I didn't do my research and didn't know anything about travel at the time. That was 6 years ago and it was the first time I had ever traveled anywhere I couldn't drive to, so, yes, You are right, shame on me for not knowing, BUT, The comparison is that there are lots of people out there who get stuck in the same situation whether it be a trip to where ever, or a skydive. I definitely see how you could see it was a lame example, but I did acknowledge that it was a bit off topic at the beginning of that post. Go ahead and feel free to crucify me for using a bad analogy, but hey, I don't accept sLyride!B|
Refuse to Lose!!!
1800skyrideripoff.com
Nashvilleskydiving.org

I think you are wrong about slowing them down. Now, I'm going to intentionally contradict myself for a minute,
You are correct, you quitting them will not slow them down, but it would be a damn good start, AND, Now back to being consistent, If you quit them, and other DZO's decide that your PROSkydiving is, or can be a better system, sLyride will either go out of business or the Government will get enough reports of customers being scammed that the Fed's will put them out of business. Just my opinion...

The problem in Chicago is that one of the 3 local DZ's has very deep and strong ties to SkyRide. (not CSC)

If CSC bailed on Skyride, literally this third DZ would get enough work for all the instructors to buy new BMW's. The SkyRide business in Chicago is huge. In Chicago, to walk away from SkyRide is to walk away from a LOT of money.

Sure, it's easy to walk away from SkyRide when you're in a small center and the impact is minor. This is evident that most of the people throwing stones come from very small DZ's. It's a lot harder when it's making a significant impact to your business, and ultimately your family.

It's awfully tough to walk away from a big pile of money and hand it, on a silver platter to your competition. That's exactly what everyone is suggesting. Doing so won't hurt Skyride either, because that third DZ has strong ties.

As an aside, I would think that someone who wants to see SkyRide go away would be happy to see some ethical competition. As much as Doug doesn't think of his business this way, ultimately he is offering a competing booking agency with national exposure. I would think all of you would want to see him succeed.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

I have been a DJ for 9 years now. 95% of my business is weddings. I use a booking agency for many of my gigs. Why? Because it is a trade off that is very fair and promotes a great business. So what is the trade off? They get $300 of each one of my weddings that book for $895-$1200. I know what you are thinking, WOW, that is a big cut. Yes, it is, BUT, as i mentioned they send me a LOT of business. I would make far less money if i didn't use them. Not to mention, they handle ALL of the marketing

This is a perfect example, thank you for posting it.

Your business is local, and I assume the booking service you use is also local. As such, they are marketing in your area, with a marketing plan designed for your area. That's how the garner more business from the area than you would on your own.

For starters, PROskydiving does not market anything as of yet. I don't consider running a website to be marketing, and even if you want to call it marketing, it's not providing a service to DZOs because they are already invovled in web marketing with their own websites.

Does your business have a phone number? How would you feel if the booking service attempted to intercept every phone call you got, and then tried to charge you a commission on any bookings that resulted?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No website would equal no problem.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No website means less people book jumps which means less revinue for the DZ's! Why do you think virtually every company in the world has some website. Even the natural gas compressor manufacturer I work for not only has a website but pays to have it listed on other websites so that more people know of our existance and, as a result, we get more business which offsets the cost significantly. Its no different here. Its a way of reaching a larger customer base and a method of satisfying the customer and giving them what they want which means higher revinues. There's no lieing involved.....its just good business....its just meeting customer demands

The website I was rtefering to was PROskydiving.

If you read the post, I was speaking toward to pressure a DZO feels to join PROskydiving in an attmept to keep another local DZO from doing the same, and recieving the lions share of the local, web-based customers. My response to that problem was that if there was no PROskydiving, there was no problem.

I am well aware that a website is a valuauble tool for a business, and have stated many times in this thread that PROskydiving is only coming in between local DZ websites, and local people looking for those sites. This both implies that I am aware DZ have websites, and that there are customers looking for them.

You are totally right, and that is what I was talking about. I didn't do my research and didn't know anything about travel at the time. That was 6 years ago and it was the first time I had ever traveled anywhere I couldn't drive to, so, yes, You are right, shame on me for not knowing, BUT, The comparison is that there are lots of people out there who get stuck in the same situation whether it be a trip to where ever, or a skydive.

Right, it happens. Whether on accident or on purpose. Some people seek out these "middlemen" as you call them on purpose either for convenience, or to compare, or because they think they will save money. As you mentioned this happens in skydiving too. If it does...and PROskydiving didnt exist...then these people would turn to Skyride.

Go ahead and feel free to crucify me for using a bad analogy, but hey, I don't accept sLyride!B|

No one is going to crucify you...we are just having a conversation and happen to have different opinions, nothing wrong with that, and I dont do business with SR either.
"If this post needs to be moderated I would prefer it to be completly removed and not edited and butchered into a disney movie" - DorkZone Hero

For starters, PROskydiving does not market anything as of yet. I don't consider running a website to be marketing, and even if you want to call it marketing, it's not providing a service to DZOs because they are already invovled in web marketing with their own websites.

The perhaps you should have taken your earlier advice and stayed out of this thread, because running a website is CERTAINLY marketing. Go look at the webpage again...see all the names at the bottom of the page? All the variations? Thats called metatags, and it is done for SEO purposes. I am not going to educate you though on INTERNET MARKETING since you dont even acknowledge it's existence, but trust me, they are going more than just running a website.

You say the DZOs could do it on their own. You're right and some do. On the same note they could also so their own taxes, legally represent themselves, and do their own AC maintenance. Some do, many choose not to and instead hire professionals. Maybe they want better results or maybe they just want to free up more of their own time to do things they are good at. That's business.

Does your business have a phone number? How would you feel if the booking service attempted to intercept every phone call you got, and then tried to charge you a commission on any bookings that resulted?

They do...I already spelled out in my previous post they handle all SALES too. Which means they do get all phone calls. And they do take a commission on these as they should...again this is in my previous post.

Again...it's a trade. Without them I wouldn't DJ weddings. There is too much effort and not enough money to do it on my own.

I think you are wrong about slowing them down. Now, I'm going to intentionally contradict myself for a minute,
You are correct, you quitting them will not slow them down, but it would be a damn good start, AND, Now back to being consistent, If you quit them, and other DZO's decide that your PROSkydiving is, or can be a better system, sLyride will either go out of business or the Government will get enough reports of customers being scammed that the Fed's will put them out of business. Just my opinion...

The problem in Chicago is that one of the 3 local DZ's has very deep and strong ties to SkyRide. (not CSC)

If CSC bailed on Skyride, literally this third DZ would get enough work for all the instructors to buy new BMW's. The SkyRide business in Chicago is huge. In Chicago, to walk away from SkyRide is to walk away from a LOT of money.

Sure, it's easy to walk away from SkyRide when you're in a small center and the impact is minor. This is evident that most of the people throwing stones come from very small DZ's. It's a lot harder when it's making a significant impact to your business, and ultimately your family.

It's awfully tough to walk away from a big pile of money and hand it, on a silver platter to your competition. That's exactly what everyone is suggesting. Doing so won't hurt Skyride either, because that third DZ has strong ties.

As an aside, I would think that someone who wants to see SkyRide go away would be happy to see some ethical competition. As much as Doug doesn't think of his business this way, ultimately he is offering a competing booking agency with national exposure. I would think all of you would want to see him succeed.

_Am

What DZ's are you referring to that Accept sLyride? Inquiring minds want to know:o
Refuse to Lose!!!
1800skyrideripoff.com
Nashvilleskydiving.org

_Am

What DZ's are you referring to that Accept sLyride? Inquiring minds want to know:o

Skydive Midwest (approx. an hour north of csc) as previously mentioned in this thread ;)

running a website is CERTAINLY marketing

I understand that, and I addressed that in the next paragraph of my post, which you may or may not have read, as it did not show up in your quote from me.

It reads -

I don't consider running a website to be marketing, and even if you want to call it marketing, it's not providing a service to DZOs because they are already invovled in web marketing with their own websites.

Maybe I should have worded it differently. A website is marketing, but in this case, it is not new, original or useful marketing to DZOs, as they are alreayd involved in such marketing by means of their own websties. As such, PROskydiving is not producing any new customers, they are just grabbing the existing customers from the web before the DZ website can.

Seeing as the point of marketing is to increase sales, if all you do transact with a customer already looking to make a jump, you have not produced any new sales, simply administered an existing sale.

You, of course, were nice enough to prove this by saying the following -

see all the names at the bottom of the page? All the variations? Thats called metatags, and it is done for SEO purposes.

Of course. Who would they be competing with to get preferential search resutls for, say, Skydive Tulsa? My guess is that the only other people interested in optimising those search results would be Skydive East Tulsa, and Skydive West Tulsa.

So PROskydiving is competing with the very DZs they claim to 'serve'. They are looking to over power them in the search results, and have all Tulsa area skydivers book through them, where they will collect their fee, and then pass them on to the DZs.

If PROskydiving was not in existance, Tulsa area consumers would find the actual DZ websites for their local DZs, and simply book the jumps directly.

I'm not sure where your math skills are at, but there are no new customers being created with this type of 'marketing', so either it's not really marketing, or it is and PROskydiving is failing horribly, but in either case they certainly should not be collecting a cut of the profits.

perhaps you should have taken your earlier advice and stayed out of this thread

It seems for your sake, yes. If you want to post something that makes sense, then you wouldn't mind me being around, as I would just agree with you.

running a website is CERTAINLY marketing

I understand that, and I addressed that in the next paragraph of my post, which you may or may not have read, as it did not show up in your quote from me.

It reads -

I don't consider running a website to be marketing, and even if you want to call it marketing, it's not providing a service to DZOs because they are already invovled in web marketing with their own websites.

Um dave, it's the FIRST thing in my post, get your eyes checked.

Maybe I should have worded it differently. A website is marketing, but in this case, it is not new, original or useful marketing to DZOs, as they are alreayd involved in such marketing by means of their own websties. As such, PROskydiving is not producing any new customers, they are just grabbing the existing customers from the web before the DZ website can.

Seeing as the point of marketing is to increase sales, if all you do transact with a customer already looking to make a jump, you have not produced any new sales, simply administered an existing sale.

You, of course, were nice enough to prove this by saying the following -

see all the names at the bottom of the page? All the variations? Thats called metatags, and it is done for SEO purposes.

Of course. Who would they be competing with to get preferential search resutls for, say, Skydive Tulsa? My guess is that the only other people interested in optimising those search results would be Skydive East Tulsa, and Skydive West Tulsa.

So PROskydiving is competing with the very DZs they claim to 'serve'. They are looking to over power them in the search results, and have all Tulsa area skydivers book through them, where they will collect their fee, and then pass them on to the DZs.

If PROskydiving was not in existance, Tulsa area consumers would find the actual DZ websites for their local DZs, and simply book the jumps directly.

I'm not sure where your math skills are at, but there are no new customers being created with this type of 'marketing', so either it's not really marketing, or it is and PROskydiving is failing horribly, but in either case they certainly should not be collecting a cut of the profits.

You are looking at it too narrowly. Do you have any idea how much skydiving and skydiving related content is on the web? Maybe someone gets a link to a video of some famous person making a skydive. These websites are built so that ads that are related pop up. Maybe someone had no intention of making a skydive, but someone sends an email to their gmail account and it contains the words sky and dive somewhere in it. If the website in question was built properly then low and behold an ad is going to appear above this persons email for the DZ. Now this person might have some interest in making a skydive. There is your sale that might not have anywise been there. That is just a tiny example too. This is a youtube generation and there are people figuring out how to link that content to ads. Look at all the skydiving content out there! Facebook, myspace, youtube, publications, websites, new stories, etc. If you know what you are doing there is potential to link ALL that to your ad. However, that being said, someone working 60 hours a week running manifest with a cell phone glued to their ear probably doesnt have the time and skills to properly do it. Thats why you hire professionals.

As far as your point goes for taking business from the DZs website well thats not true either and if it is then it's the DZOs fault. When you do a search you have two different responses: organic and CPC. The listings that appear at the top are CPC, in other words paid to be there, everything else is organic, which is free. The priority and order of the listings has to do with the strength of the correlation fromt he search. So...if i do a search for skydive (insert random city) and proskydiving appears higher then the local DZ on the ORGANIC list then it means the local DZO has not properly set his metatags. If this is the case....then this is another arguement FOR proskydiving because they obviously know what they are doing.

The CPC would be a different story but in all my research on this matter not once as Proskydiving popped up as a CPC or paid result when searching for "skydive (insert city)"

perhaps you should have taken your earlier advice and stayed out of this thread

It seems for your sake, yes. If you want to post something that makes sense, then you wouldn't mind me being around, as I would just agree with you.

Wanna keep going? I understand everyone thinks they are a marketing genius just like everyone thinks they can sell, but all the confidence in the world doesn't make it true.

Maybe I should start a separate thread so i can educate people in internet marking and avoid all this misinformation.

Ha! What am i thinking. I could say the sky is blue and someone here would claim it wasnt true and try to give me a first hand account.

Let me first state that I do know Doug personally and have worked with him in regard to PROskydiving.

PROskydiving is not a new site. It's been around for almost 18 months now. Does PRO have SEO, yes... of course it does. But if the goal was to take over search results and hijack a dropzone's customers, that would be reflected in the search results by now. But you'd be hard pressed to find PRO show up in most regional searches. And if it does, local DZs (and SR) are on top. I don't think the existence of the PROskydiving website is wrong or constitutes thievery. It is there to facilitate future plans which Doug has already spoken to.

In addition PRO offers dropzones a simple solution to schedule classes and manage student reservations which can easily be rolled out to the dropzone's own website. All at a very reasonable rate, especially when you take credit card fees and other overhead into account.

Is PROskydiving perfect? No. It is a young business. The website, while in existence for a year and a half has recently undergone a rewrite and redesign (i.e. it isn't perfect). Nothing was done in a vacuum or under the cover of darkness. Doug has spoken to and gotten feedback from many people in the industry – including DZOs. Things have evolved in the last 18 months and things will continue to change and evolve in order to build a system that is good for dropzones and for customers – based on input from those involved.

There is a lot of cynicism and distrust here. I don't expect to sway anyone's opinion, but in time I hope that some may realize we're trying to build something that is good and useful for all involved as well as help elevate awareness and generate more business for the sport as a whole.

This may be a possible solution to this problem since we seem to have some who are for the middle man and some who are against the middle man, I checked it out and as far as I can tell, all the travel companies offer an affiliate program which is essentially the same as sLyride and Pro, the difference is that if a DZO signs up with let's say Travelocity, they get added to the itinerary possibilities for whatever city on a customer's travel plans.
It markets to the traveler who may be traveling to Chicago, Nashville, New York etc. The customer is looking through the "things to do" section of the Travelocity site and they find that they can go Skydiving in or near the city they are traveling to. That customer may not have even dreamed of skydiving before they saw that opportunity, then they decide, "Hell Yeah, I want to add that to my itinerary", They book the jump, and yes, they still went through the middle man, BUT, they got sold something that they were not originally thinking of, and they can do it in or near the city they are traveling to because it was marketed in an area other than skydiving.
The way I see a lot, maybe most DZ's marketing, and I'm guilty of it to, is they only have skydiving oriented keywords, titles and description meta tags and content in their sites. Therefore, the only people who find their sites are people who were already looking to jump, so they naturally are going to Google "Skydiving in or "

If the DZO's who prefer to use middle men would drop sLyride and maybe PROSkydiving and sign on with the travel companies, that could be a win/win deal as opposed to the fraud and crime done by sLyride

Just a thought...
Refuse to Lose!!!
1800skyrideripoff.com
Nashvilleskydiving.org

Seems to me that 2 of them do.

Skydive Chicago appears to be managing OK without Skyride, however.

You can be judged by the company you keep.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Registrant:
PROskydiving, Inc.
669 Sheffield Circle
Sugar Grove, Illinois 60554
United States

Registered through: GoDaddy.com, Inc. (http://www.godaddy.com)
Domain Name: PROSKYDIVING.COM
Created on: 29-Dec-03
Expires on: 29-Dec-11
Last Updated on: 30-Dec-09

Administrative Contact:
Smith, Douglas [email protected]
PROskydiving, Inc.
669 Sheffield Circle
United States
+1.3124698340 Fax -- +1.8884946964

Technical Contact:
Smith, Douglas [email protected]
PROskydiving, Inc.
669 Sheffield Circle
United States
+1.3124698340 Fax -- +1.8884946964

Domain servers in listed order:
NS43.DOMAINCONTROL.COM
NS44.DOMAINCONTROL.COM

What is your point Jeff?

Domain Name: SEXADDICT.COM

Technical Contact:
Saxton, Jeffrey Mark
System V
44 N SAN MATEO DR APT 2
SAN MATEO, CA 94401-2835
US
650-342-5749 fax: 408-556-0667

Record expires on 02-Dec-2013.
Record created on 01-Dec-1995.

Domain servers in listed order:

NS1.SECURE.NET
NS2.SECURE.NET

Here's how I see it, Wuffo's generally don't read these threads about the sLyride scam, and we all know that they don't know about sLyride and their scam, until after they've been scammed. So the way I figure it, we need to get the word out to them so hopefully, they will deal directly with the DZ's and NOT the middle man. Maybe this will help with that. http://chicago.1800skyrideripoff.com/

Google should pick it up in a couple of weeks.
Refuse to Lose!!!
1800skyrideripoff.com
Nashvilleskydiving.org

I went through the 1800skydiveripoff list and based on that list and your logic the wind tunnel in Perris was built with or at least affiliated with sLyride money. That would make Perris Valley culpable and following the fruit of the poison tree logic even Skyventure itself.

More interesting is that 50% of the last 6 USPA National Championships were held at dropzones that accept sLyride coupons.

What type of sanctions would you recommend we impose upon these DZs and upon the USPA itself for awarding these events to them?

I went through the 1800skydiveripoff list and based on that list and your logic the wind tunnel in Perris was built with or at least affiliated with sLyride money. That would make Perris Valley culpable and following the fruit of the poison tree logic even Skyventure itself.

More interesting is that 50% of the last 6 USPA National Championships were held at dropzones that accept sLyride coupons.

What type of sanctions would you recommend we impose upon these DZs and upon the USPA itself for awarding these events to them?

First, What list are you talking about?
Secondly, simply because there's too many jumpers out there that only care about jumping Turbines and don't give a shit how or where the DZO got the money to purchase the Turbine A/C, I don't suppose the will be any "Sanctions" on DZO's or USPA unless enough people got together and boycotted them. I'm not holding my breath.[:/]

Besides that, 1800skyrideripoff is not written to educate skydivers, it's written for wuffo's. And no, it's not eye candy by any means.
Refuse to Lose!!!
1800skyrideripoff.com
Nashvilleskydiving.org