Mothra

How come everyone keeps asking me to buy beer?

Come on now let's be civilized, everyone knows boobies are for extra altitude

Oh my. Hand jive. Beer. Boobies. What have I gotten myself into? What else should I be on the lookout for?

Is that you John?

Suckers! :ph34r:
Remster

Let's see now...there's kiss passes, rodeo dives, packing lessons, night jumps, getting pied....

It seems there is as much to learn about the social aspects of this sport as there is about actually skydiving.

Some of the social aspects of skydiving are some of the best places to learn. That aspect of buying beer that is being lost. New jumpers getting to meet more experienced jumpers and vice versa. A lot of barriers fall away after sharing a beer with someone. See attachment.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

There is another obvious time for you to buy beer of course.........you know it when it's time.......it's when you always reach for the beer, and you realize you haven't bought for the group in awhile.....I've felt that way before myself....that's why I know....[:/]....that's when it's past time for you to buy your buddies some beer....

Life is short ... jump often.

There is another obvious time for you to buy beer of course.........you know it when it's time.......it's when you always reach for the beer, and you realize you haven't bought for the group in awhile.....I've felt that way before myself....that's why I know....[:/]....that's when it's past time for you to buy your buddies some beer....

You are right 100%. I quit jumping a few years ago but when I go to the dz to meet up with Air Trash I show up with a case.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Then there are people like me who don't need much of an excuse to buy beer. First time getting to the dz real early...beer....first time in a parking spot...beer... Its all about holding yourself to a higher standard and leading by exampleB|

My initial 6 months of jumping, I brought beer almost every time I went to the DZ. One, because I expected to be doing something for the "pre-second"" time almost every day I jumped. Second, I could buy it cheaper at Costco than the nearby stores, so I had to plan ahead and already had it in the car. And I don't even drink beer.

One thing about a cold beer. Once the beer light is on, if you have a question that takes more than a yes/no to answer, you hand over said cold beer to whomever you are about to ask this question, and you have their attention till the bottle is empty. I have learned many tidbits of knowledge this way. And the guy that taught me this only charged one bottle of beer.;) Thanks Cliff.

And if you didn't notice, I never actually said "f1rst" in this post. You will learn other ways to say it so you don't get the beer hounds screeming "BEER"!!!! evertime they hear first uttered. The funny thing is, that once you get in the habit you won't even say it around your whuffo friends. And when they say first, you will screem BEER and they will have no idea why you just did that.:D

50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

And if you didn't notice, I never actually said "f1rst" in this post. You will learn other ways to say it so you don't get the beer hounds screeming "BEER"!!!! evertime they hear first uttered. The funny thing is, that once you get in the habit you won't even say it around your whuffo friends. And when they say first, you will screem BEER and they will have no idea why you just did that.:D

Aha! Now there's a hot tip for me to try and avoid all this burdensome budwieser beer debt. I'll endeavor to remove that word from my language around the jump zone. Thanks! Although the experienced jumpers there may not appreciate you revealing this tip to me...

Aha! Now there's a hot tip for me to try and avoid all this burdensome budwieser beer debt. I'll endeavor to remove that word from my language around the jump zone. Thanks! Although the experienced jumpers there may not appreciate you revealing this tip to me...

Budweiser?! You really do have a lot to learn! :P
Apologies for the spelling (and grammar).... I got a B.S, not a B.A. :)

...because you hadn't done it yet!
Duh!

:D:D:P

Beware the beer hounds.

They are the ones screaming BEEEEER when you simply say the word "first". Caveat emptor.

Know the Beer Rules!

My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Hello jumpers. New gal here, trying to learn the seemingly whacko traditions involved in skydiving. You have graciously explained to me the hand jive stuff everyone does before exit. So next I'm curious about why everyone keeps asking me to buy cases of beer - what's with that?

I'll gladly post my comment after you fedex me a case of sam adams to Brazil!!! c'mon get with the program! ;)

btw, here is an interesting point of view from a very smart man:

"I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts, and beer."
-Abraham Lincoln

You see, traditions are here to unite us in the bonfire and during difficult times, sometimes a simple beer can washup the soul and crack a much needed smile at the end of the day.

blues,
Ricardo.

Lol......was on a load on the King Air and TI told the girl.....give the pilot a boob shot if you want and see what happens.....she said ...OK :D! Pilot turned around in his seat and gave us and her thumbs up! We ended up on jump run at 17,600ft. ;) Best sunset load ever!B|

Back in the old days at Skydive San Marcos there was a rigger/packer/skydiver that lived at the DZ with his wife and daughter. The little girl lived her formative years (omigawd!) around skydivers. The result of that was evident during a grade school class when the teacher said the word "first" during a lecture. The little girl, acting on years of ingrained listening, immediately yelled "CASE OF BEER!" As I recall, the parents had some explaining to do.
"For you see, an airplane is an airplane. A landing area is a landing area. But a dropzone... a dropzone is the people."

Hello jumpers. New gal here, trying to learn the seemingly whacko traditions involved in skydiving. You have graciously explained to me the hand jive stuff everyone does before exit. So next I'm curious about why everyone keeps asking me to buy cases of beer - what's with that?

is this the first time you asked this question?