ciscobird

Skydivers & Reality Shows

A while ago was looking to apply to be on a reality show...

On the application form we're asked to check off several activities that we're familiar with and on the list was skydiving, as well as scuba diving.

My initial thought was that checking the skydiving part off would help with the odd of being chosen for the show. However I began to think it might not be a good idea because it might indicate that I would be "overqualified" (the show is very physical).

The basis behind my assumption is that they probably don't want anybody who might scoff at the challenge presented on the show.

What do you think? Next time I apply, should I announce that I pursue skydiving as a hobby or keep quiet and hope for a better chance of getting on the show?

Am I wrong or...?

Your thoughts please and/or flame away!

Apparently many people on the show "Baggage" by Jerry Springfield have stated that they love to skydive and by many I mean at least 10 that I've seen!

Not sure if it was just their one time thing or that they're actually skydivers, but go for it and state that you're a badass!;)

For info regarding lift ticket prices all around the world check out
http://www.jumpticketprices.com/dropzones.asp

A few years back a friend had just completed an Ironman triathlon. I'd just started skydiving. We were both huge fans of The Amazing Race. We joked about how we should apply - they'd love us! The Ironman and the skydiver! But then we figured the producers would try to drum up some bogus sexual tension because we were longtime friends of the opposite sex who had never dated. :S:D

But no, we never did actually apply.

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I know some casting directors...

You need to know the show. The casting director's job is to make good TV, and find the people that will.

If the show is about taking ordinary people and putting them in situations where they are to cry in fear and almost reject the challenge - then you need to be an ordinary guy. Don't mark skydiving.

If the show is about taking the top 10% of all athletes and making them race, then you need to be an athlete.

If the show is about making brownies in a kitchen, then you need to know how to cook.

Before you fill out any forms or audition, put yourself in the casting director's shoes and make yourself desireable to them.

I heard rumor that recently, one of the major networks, was actually calling around looking for candidates to pilot (no pun intended) a new reality show, its very self based around the day-to-day operations of a skydiving center, as well.

Could you see that? A cross between OC Choppers and Pawnstars ...As the prop turns! :P

coitus non circum - Moab Stone

I heard rumor that recently, one of the major networks, was actually calling around looking for candidates to pilot (no pun intended) a new reality show, its very self based around the day-to-day operations of a skydiving center, as well.

Could you see that? A cross between OC Choppers and Pawnstars ...As the prop turns! :P

i have heard that some tv producers have sniffed around DZ's and even pitched the idea to their respective network. It seemed like a slamduck to me. if people would watch 20 shows about hair salons who wouldnt watch this?

In this case, i heard it didnt go anywhere. the producer's didnt think a DZ could fit into the formula of todays shows. conflict exposed, time pressure applied and conflict resolved in the last minutes. I still think that it would work but im not a tv producer nor want to front my own money to prove my point.

I'm still convinced that some independent producer, with good salesmanship, could get this done. In this case, the producers were gainfully employed by a major network and where not willing to really fight their bosses over it. pitched idea, got a no and went back to work.
"The point is, I'm weird, but I never felt weird."
John Frusciante

If the show is about taking ordinary people and putting them in situations where they are to cry in fear and almost reject the challenge - then you need to be an ordinary guy. Don't mark skydiving.

Before you fill out any forms or audition, put yourself in the casting director's shoes and make yourself desireable to them.

That's what I thought... It's like interviewing for a job. You don't want to under- or oversell yourself so there has to be a balance.

This particular show I watch, it's a one-episode event. Every show begins with a group of contestants and whittle down to the last winner. The $'s not bad for a day or weekend's work.

If I was the casting director myself, I probably would avoid putting too many skydivers on the show.

Disclaimer: Not everybody is the same but some of skydivers might have this loud & cocky attitude of, "come on! let's bring it on!!! huh? that's it, this is all you have?!?"

But again, I might be mistaken. Some skydivers are known for their interesting personalities that might be alluring on the show.