mynacat

Ear popping/pressure problem

Hi
Does anybody really knows how to combat ear pressure?
I have been jumping for 5 years; I only can do one jump a day every time I go to any dropzone,
The plane ride to altitude it’s ok, the problem is the moment I open the canopy, it’s the transition from terminal speed to zero, that’s when It attacks.
Before I tried to jump twice in one day and I was screaming under canopy with pain.
I tried nasal decongestants, swallowing, yawning or chewing a gum or candy is not working as well,
I tried 2 kinds of ear plugs and also did not work.
I think I tried everything but maybe someone out there knows any good trick/solution .
Please let me know.

Make an appointment with an ENT Dr. and see what he/she can do for you. I dont have the problem so I have no quick solutions. Good luck!!!
I'm completely in favor of the separation of Church and State. My idea is that these two institutions screw us up enough on their own, so both of them together is certain death.

Since you didn't mention it, I'll ask. Have you tried to Valsalva by pinching your nostrils closed and gently exhaling through your nose once under canopy? If that doesn't work for you, then you do need to go see the Dr. to find out what is going on.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Any ear problems outside of jumping? Earaches, chronic post nasal drip, sinus infections, voice like Donald Duck, etc?

If the pressure equalization exercise mentioned above does not work, then there must be some serious eustachian tube blockage. As they said, probably time to visit Dr. Ent.

I'd also add, based on a long history of sinus/nasal issues, do not rely on sprays as a regular form of relief without a docs approval. They are mostly for temporary relief and can make things worse if used too much.
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

Try this webpage: Doc's Diving Medicine Homepage.
It's about ear pressure stuff for SCUBA divers, but the information works for sky divers as well as for water divers. The video is about an hour long, so you might want to download it from one of the links on the page.

The author is "a Board Certified Diving Physician and Diving Medical Officer for the University of Washington, Medical Director for the Divers Institute of Technology and Director of Hyperbaric Medicine for HealthForce Partners."
Brian

Since you didn't mention it, I'll ask. Have you tried to Valsalva by pinching your nostrils closed and gently exhaling through your nose once under canopy? If that doesn't work for you, then you do need to go see the Dr. to find out what is going on.

Don't forget to close your mouth also while performing the Valsalva....and no puffing the cheeks out.B|

I had issues to the point of bleeding out in my ears after two jumps one day. Put me out of the sport for over 4 months waiting for the blood in my ears to be sort itself out.

I was lucky enough to have worked for an ENT doc for about 5yrs and he basically said the longer I jump, or force my ears to clear, then there is some degree where it gets easier for them to handle the pressure and clear.

With that said though the only thing that keeps me going now is while under free fall i make it a habit to try and clear my ears. It is possible to do this without pinching your nose but some methods do take some practice.

Forgive me if it's already been suggested but I'd try a nasal decongestant at the beginning of a jump day (don't over use though) and not only clearing your ears on the way up but also on the way down and the whole way down. Not just after opening. By the time you open you've gone quite a distance.
=--{O}------------------{O}---] D.S.#111 VSCR # 123

has your nose been broken septum damaged?

if so you might really need to visit an ENT dr to get an appraisal, I have been dealing with that last year based on the nose being broken.

D
http://www.skyjunky.com

CSpenceFLY - I can't believe the number of people willing to bet their life on someone else doing the right thing.

Anytime I open under canopy I have very strong bordering on severe pressure in my ears. Using the pinching nose and exhaling to equalize trick always works. It's the reason I got a full face helmet with a shield that opens rather then one like the factory diver.

I'm very interested in your reply..
I don't understand... what full face helmet do you use?

Thanks

Dave

Forgive me if it's already been suggested but I'd try a nasal decongestant at the beginning of a jump day (don't over use though) and not only clearing your ears on the way up but also on the way down and the whole way down. Not just after opening. By the time you open you've gone quite a distance.

You shouldn't clear your ears on the climb to altitude. Your middle ears will automatically vent going up just not down. Only time to perform the valsalva is on descent.

In Reply To
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You shouldn't clear your ears on the climb to altitude. Your middle ears will automatically vent going up just not down. Only time to perform the valsalva is on descent.

I agree. Try yawning or rotating your jaw on ascent, but not popping your ears. I've heard several people mention non-drowsy sudafed. Calritin D might also work.
I will be kissing hands and shaking babies all afternoon. Thanks for all your support! *bows*

SCS #8251

Personally when it happened to me a few times, it did hurt like hell at least one of those times. I remember getting to the ground one day and my right ear had not released the pressure yet. I tried to release the pressure and it just suddenly release a lot of the pressure and felt horrible.

The first jump I made I had an issue with it. I went to see my family doctor and another doctor saw me. He looked in my ear and saw a large piece of wax lodged in there and stuck this tool down in there and pulled it out.

I only had a problem a few times, but it seemed like my ears just got used to it more than anything.
Rodriguez Brother #1614, Muff Brother #4033
Jumped: Twin Otter, Cessna 182, CASA, Helicopter, Caravan

Also spelled: Pseudoephedrine - chewing these at the start of the day lets the nasal passages and the eustachain tubes (little passage that connects your inner ear with the back of your nose that lets the air pressure equalise on both sides of your ear drum) expand so air can more freely move in and out of them - having this with a coffee makes it work faster if I forget to take it soon enough before jumping.

Blowing your nose before jump run also works for me if I'm jumping with a cold (not recommended due to risk of permanent hearing damage) - the expanding air in your sinus / eustachian tubes helps to flush mucous clear of your smaller nasal pipes on the way to height, if you blow your nose just before jump run (especially on first jump of the day) it normally can move that snot away so you don't get squeeze as the air tries to move back in as you descend. If you forget, that mucous can act like a valve and prevent the air from flowing back in as easily, instant squeeze. Bring a tissue if you're going to do this and maybe use the hand that you're not gonna shake everyone's with...

If I forget to blow my nose before getting into the plane at the beginning of the day, I frequently get a squeeze in my ears or in my sinus and this helps at the beginning of the day - I recently did a wingsuit rodeo and at about 7000 feet on the way down I got a massive sinus squeeze, I would normally back fly and blow my nose in freefall, but with a passenger I was a bit stuck... when I got to the ground it looked like I'd be punched in the face because of the bruising.

Also a saline nasal spray works to soften any dried out boogers that may be up there blocking the free passage of air into and out of your nasal cavities - just don't forget to blow your nose well at the beginning of the day.

- I'm not claiming to be a doctor but it works for me

I have to Valsalva right after every canopy opening. I have ear problems all the time-- scuba diving, flying, skydiving, driving through mountains, etc, etc. I know what you mean about being in pain on the second jump. If I don't Valsalva or have a successful Valsalva, then I can definitely feel it on the next jump and my ears just feel stuffy and off the rest of the day.

I would def check with an ENT doc though!
Apologies for the spelling (and grammar).... I got a B.S, not a B.A. :)