JerseyShawn

Worst/scariest "Holy shit" jump...

fissures?

you obviously didn't read Green Team by Marcinko.

But it is your lucky day today. There is a great thread about the book, specially the parachuting part.

Thanks again John Rich for that thread.
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

Canopy collision at around 75ft, Z-Hills. I was hit from behind and am in line twists with collapsed end cells. Photo taken from just outside the packing tent.

I'm confused by this picture...you (line twists) are, or at least your canopy is below and behind the guy with the orange and white canopy. His lines can be seen in front of your cells. What caused that to happen? Did they slip around your tail and this picture was taken after his initial recovery?

Regardless, glad to see it didn't take your life
Find your peace, though the world around you burns

fissures?

you obviously didn't read Green Team by Marcinko.

But it is your lucky day today. There is a great thread about the book, specially the parachuting part.
Thanks again John Rich for that thread.

Link: http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=4161596;search_string=green%20team;#4161596

In the book he refers to tears in the parachute as "fissures". Just like SkiFlyDive's reaction here, I haven't found anyone else who has ever heard them called that before.

Canopy collision at around 75ft, Z-Hills. I was hit from behind and am in line twists with collapsed end cells. Photo taken from just outside the packing tent.

I'm confused by this picture...you (line twists) are, or at least your canopy is below and behind the guy with the orange and white canopy. His lines can be seen in front of your cells. What caused that to happen? Did they slip around your tail and this picture was taken after his initial recovery?

He overtook me from above and behind, His knee hit my elbow, his lines hit the end cells of my canopy. Photo was taken from the ground just after he passed me, which is my you see his lines in front of my canopy.

I didn't actually take the time for a detailed analysis of the dynamics, too busy thinking about other things, like landing alive.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

The jump I didn't make....
My buddy calls me early in the morning and sez lets go sky jumping at MXXXXX SXXXXXX. I had a screamer of a migraine. Hurt so bad I was really about to barf. I sez I'll pass today. He knew I had migraines, so he understood.
After a short nap, I woke up and turned on the TV. The first story....... Plane loaded with skydivers crashes. The Beech stalled on the first jump of the day take off, and crashed in the woods.
Pilot burned to death. Several broken bones. All bad.

He overtook me from above and behind, His knee hit my elbow, his lines hit the end cells of my canopy. Photo was taken from the ground just after he passed me, which is my you see his lines in front of my canopy.

I didn't actually take the time for a detailed analysis of the dynamics, too busy thinking about other things, like landing alive.

Makes much more sense. I think the angle was messing with my ability to figure out how that happened. :S
Thanks, glad you made it out of that one
Find your peace, though the world around you burns

Frankly never read Cmdr. Marcinko's books after finishing Rogue Warrior. After i became an Operator his attitude didn't correspond to what i was seeking out as a way to act, or think.

But to answer the question...nope, no scars or tears or fissures or fractures...or...damage to chute, well besides crashing in it.
Mostly military HALO/HAHO with civiian fun on the side

O.o

Did you still have the twists when you landed?
You stop breathing for a few minutes and everyone jumps to conclusions.

Not quite as exciting as...

As I type this, I get a bad taste in my mouth - otherwise, once I'm out the door I'm ok and needless to say, he will never jump again. I know theres no getting over this but a problem shared...

What you are discribing is simply a ifhgt or flight response, most all of us have had that and even after over 1000 jumps i still get it if I have not jumped in a while.
You WILL overcome it, but enjoy it whilst it's there:)
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

So this happened just a couple years ago. I jump a custom harness system and everything fits very snug. However I'm a somewhat small girl and very flexible. ;)

On, this jump I had a rather hard opening and I found myself completely out of my harness, dangling upside down beneath my rig hanging by my bent knees from the leg straps. I'd fallen through the bottom of my rig and luckily my knees caught on the leg straps otherwise I'd have been back in freefall sans parachute.

My problem at this point was that I have very little upper body strength. OK, I have very little lower body strength either. But I was going to need some strength to pull myself back up into the rig. I remember wondering if I could land like that? I decided against it. :S I ended up being able to (adrenalin induced strength!) pull myself back up and under the back pack and squish myself somehow back into the harness but it wasn't easy and all the while worrying that I'd slip again and not be able to catch myself.

I was too scared to jump for a time after that and I have bad nightmares. Still do from time to time. I learned that I HAVE TO TIE MY LEG STRAPS TOGETHER. Preferable sewn down. Bungee cords are not secure enough. Too much give. I use doubled up binding tape. :)

I had a rather hard opening and I found myself completely out of my harness, dangling upside down beneath my rig hanging by my bent knees from the leg straps. I'd fallen through the bottom of my rig and luckily my knees caught on the leg straps otherwise I'd have been back in freefall sans parachute.

Not that it's a competition, but... I think we have a winner :o
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

Not that it's a competition, but... I think we have a winner :o

Yes, there are times when you can be TOO flexible. :S

I don't think we should go there...

Speak for yourself...

Pictures would be nice. :)
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message