JerseyShawn

Worst/scariest "Holy shit" jump...

Last week I managed two "holy shit" jumps in a row...

We had just put up an electronic swoop gate. They were put up on a large grass field without any other indicators near it. I came in a bit too close to the gate, but tried to steer away from it by slowing down the second 90 degree turn (of a 270)... When I came out of the turn I pulled the toggles with all my strength, but I still went under the gate's beam (at 1.5m) sliding sideways on my feet in the wet grass. I could not have gotten lower without bouncing.

I took a timeout after that, but did a second jump later in the afternoon. Pulled after at around 2000m. I usually grab the rears and steer the opening of my Scirocco which leads to really nice openings, straight and soft. This time I missed the left riser and I was probably a bit asymmetrical in harness because it turned 90 degrees to the left. Well, I had a nice grab of the right riser so I pulled it... The canopy turned quickly to the right and spun up, with one riser hitting my upper lip. The quick turn made my neck make some nice cracking noise and I didn't jump more that day or the next.

Last week I managed two "holy shit" jumps in a row...

We had just put up an electronic swoop gate. They were put up on a large grass field without any other indicators near it. I came in a bit too close to the gate, but tried to steer away from it by slowing down the second 90 degree turn (of a 270)... When I came out of the turn I pulled the toggles with all my strength, but I still went under the gate's beam (at 1.5m) sliding sideways on my feet in the wet grass. I could not have gotten lower without bouncing.

I took a timeout after that, but did a second jump later in the afternoon. Pulled after at around 2000m. I usually grab the rears and steer the opening of my Scirocco which leads to really nice openings, straight and soft. This time I missed the left riser and I was probably a bit asymmetrical in harness because it turned 90 degrees to the left. Well, I had a nice grab of the right riser so I pulled it... The canopy turned quickly to the right and spun up, with one riser hitting my upper lip. The quick turn made my neck make some nice cracking noise and I didn't jump more that day or the next.

850 jumps over 13 years jumping a 77 sq. ft. canopy loaded at 2.25. Whats wrong with this picture?

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

850 jumps over 13 years jumping a 77 sq. ft. canopy loaded at 2.25. Whats wrong with this picture?

Sparky

Something tells me he thinks nothing, you must be the one with the problem.

Not enough guts to be identified with what you post? :)
Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Sparky

Not enough guts to be identified with what you post? :)
Sparky

re-read please, I was siding with you.;)

Sparky

Thanks for your concerns!

Years don't tell everything though. I took two years to finish my static line course, then I only did a few jumps a year for many years until I became active in the sport.

Still 2.25 is a pretty high wing loading at my current 900 jumps. Not to sound too defensive, but no one that has seen me fly has complained about my wing loading. Perhaps I've gained some extra skills because for the last two years I've only trained canopy piloting from hop & pops or pulling high or perhaps I've just been lucky.

Given that I only train for competition in canopy piloting, what do you think would be a suitable wing for me?

Given that I only train for competition in canopy piloting, what do you think would be a suitable wing for me?

Until you learn not to chase the gates into the corner? I dunno, maybe a 90 or a 96 sq ft? :P

Stay safe out there.

As a TI. I had a horse shoe mal. The bag came out and I could not find the handles to release the bag. I never knew why (I suspect the one that should remain stationary was "tucked" in) At 3K I decided to fire the reserve knowing it would go into the bag .... it did. I had NOTHING out. And old saying by one of my instructors came to mind "Pull handles until your goggles fill with blood!" I kept fighting and finally got about 1/2 of the reserve to clear the bag at 1000 feet. I told the tandem student (a 75 year old man) to lift up his legs we were going to hit hard. I did a great PLF and kept the tandem student from even hitting the ground. We all walked away.

What I learned. Check your handles more often. I use to check on ground in plane and in air. I know check ALL the time and especially the second after I throw the drogue. Unfortunately I had another horseshoe with a tandem and it was no biggie as I immediately cleared the bag. I also quit jumping DZ equipment that wasn't properly maintained

steveOrino

Still 2.25 is a pretty high wing loading at my current 900 jumps. Not to sound too defensive, but no one that has seen me fly has complained about my wing loading. Perhaps I've gained some extra skills because for the last two years I've only trained canopy piloting from hop & pops or pulling high or perhaps I've just been lucky.

However you wish to justify it to yourself is up to you. There are some dead people that thought the same way, hopefully you won't end up like them.

What jump scared you the most out of you?

Lesson(s) learned from it?

I don't have one yet to share, so lets hear yours.

There are a few that scared the hell out of me, but this one comes to mind.

At a boogie, we decided to to an inner-tube dive. We attached rope around the periphery for handles, and inflated it only enough that it would not be straining at exit altitude.

After exit, we got nice and stable as planned, with the other guy opposite me and two females opposite each other.

Approaching breakoff altitude, the other guy decided to sit in the inner tube; once he planted his butt into the middle, he dropped down to his armpits and knees, very stable and completely stuck with his rig below the inner tube.

It was immediately apparent that he was screwed and out of time. As a desperation move, I grabbed the handles and managed to turn him and the inner tube upside-down.

He then popped out, so we all tracked very briefly, pitched, and were in the saddle somewhat above Cypres territory.

One of the things that has become very apparent in this sport is that any added complexity increases the danger level exponentially, whether it is a camera, raft, flag or whatever.

It is important to be willing to make survival Job #1 at the drop of a hat.

Rules of Combat include:

Always know when to get out of Dodge.

Always know HOW to get out of Dodge.

I guess that includes Combat RW.

BSBD,

Winsor

On jump #12, I had my PC work it's way out, causing a premature deployment, looked above me and my canopy was torn right down the middle, in two pieces. Cut it away, and had an uneventful reserve ride. Landed and realized I had pooped my pants, that was pretty embarrassing, especially since I was quickly surrounded by people who wanted to talk about it. Fortunately the DZ had showers. Then the DZO tried to charge me for the canopy.....

Lessons learned...
Always make sure my PC is tucked away nicely.......and bring a clean set of underwear

Jumping a lot of Military HAHO/HALO can get squirrely. Mine was jump number...26:

13,000ft exit 11pm HALO grouping jump training. We were wearing MT-XX chutes at 370sq/ft, O2 masks, M4's, and Rucks with about 50-65lbs. Ruck is front mounted.
I was first out the door, exit went cool, turned on my southern heading and sat 'flat dumb n' happy' (which is all you want to do with all that junk on you). Locked on to my altimeter at 6k waved stable at 5.5 and pulled the cord at ~5...and then it gets funky. MT's have spring loaded pilots that can bounce around in a burble from a jumper with a lot of gear on...well mine did and bounced its happy ass right around my right arm and then proceeded to lock that arm above me and to my right (effectively allowing a side and back slip with slight feet down positioning) immediately i did the holy shit moment and looked down for the cutaway and reserve. Then it got more fun, the main stayed in it's bag but a few stows came undone (for whatever the reason) and spaghettied around me and my face....great now this is happening. grabbed with my left hand for the cutaway (wearing flight gloves) managed to find my O2 masked blocked the view whoopie...found a piece of my main lift web...wrong! one more time and grabbed O2 hose...wrong again (im a dead man) then a Cypress saves my ass. I looked above my head to see a reserve clean above and the lines looking like an hourglass (the main lines wrapped up the center of the lines) no break release for me i looked for the DZ and it was over the left shoulder, grabbed the left riser and pulled for a turn and saw a scary thing (only been in the air a few seconds) i was about to hit a mountain....No PLF, just OH SHIT...WHAP!! ground and bounce and bounce and bounce...and then i hit the road Wylee Coyote style legs out in front of me and reserve calmly settling at my feet, i was fine so i gathered all that up and as i got it in my hands a car comes around the hairpin corner and nearly hits me....JESUS! all that and a car almost clobbers me...Anyways i had a sprained ankle, lines all over me, the ruck still attached, and one of my 9 lives missing...scary night for me.
Mostly military HALO/HAHO with civiian fun on the side

Jumping a lot of Military HAHO/HALO can get squirrely. Mine was jump number...26:

13,000ft exit 11pm HALO grouping jump training. We were wearing MT-XX chutes at 370sq/ft, O2 masks, M4's, and Rucks with about 50-65lbs. Ruck is front mounted.
I was first out the door, exit went cool, turned on my southern heading and sat 'flat dumb n' happy' (which is all you want to do with all that junk on you). Locked on to my altimeter at 6k waved stable at 5.5 and pulled the cord at ~5...and then it gets funky. MT's have spring loaded pilots that can bounce around in a burble from a jumper with a lot of gear on...well mine did and bounced its happy ass right around my right arm and then proceeded to lock that arm above me and to my right (effectively allowing a side and back slip with slight feet down positioning) immediately i did the holy shit moment and looked down for the cutaway and reserve. Then it got more fun, the main stayed in it's bag but a few stows came undone (for whatever the reason) and spaghettied around me and my face....great now this is happening. grabbed with my left hand for the cutaway (wearing flight gloves) managed to find my O2 masked blocked the view whoopie...found a piece of my main lift web...wrong! one more time and grabbed O2 hose...wrong again (im a dead man) then a Cypress saves my ass. I looked above my head to see a reserve clean above and the lines looking like an hourglass (the main lines wrapped up the center of the lines) no break release for me i looked for the DZ and it was over the left shoulder, grabbed the left riser and pulled for a turn and saw a scary thing (only been in the air a few seconds) i was about to hit a mountain....No PLF, just OH SHIT...WHAP!! ground and bounce and bounce and bounce...and then i hit the road Wylee Coyote style legs out in front of me and reserve calmly settling at my feet, i was fine so i gathered all that up and as i got it in my hands a car comes around the hairpin corner and nearly hits me....JESUS! all that and a car almost clobbers me...Anyways i had a sprained ankle, lines all over me, the ruck still attached, and one of my 9 lives missing...scary night for me.

Winner.

Military jump at Ft. Campbell in mid-60's...I was standing near the door of a C130 about three minutes from the DZ when somebody near me lost his balance and falling, pulled my belly reserve handle. The canopy was flopping around in the breeze near the door. I jumped on it and got it bundled up in my arms and watched as everyone else jumped. I always figured that the reserve could have enabled my body to tear off a chunk of the door frame had it started to inflate.

Not quite as exciting as...

Some other jumps here but for a 4th time jumper (or I should say SL slider out of the door person) I had to watch as a first timer hesititated at the door at 3,500 feet (he was no1 I was no2) - he kept staring and pleading with me with his feet out the door - he then wanted to come back in....

As he swivelled at the door to get back in the door he fell out! I was terrified - I sat the turn till the next cut and waited for "No2 feet out" from dispatcher - I've been afraid to put my feet out the door ever since (that happened on my 2nd jump) and I've done my 4th last week but hate that bit

As I type this, I get a bad taste in my mouth - otherwise, once I'm out the door I'm ok and needless to say, he will never jump again. I know theres no getting over this but a problem shared...
Follow the momentum, however, some things are choosen for us

Winner.

maan, this is the script from a road runner cartoon? definitively he is the winner. wow.

Did you get any fissures? ;)
Remster

being in a C182 with jumper in tow....Mike Smith (D8XXX, u still alive in Md)?

Mike Smith is a really common name. Evidently, so is being involved with a jumper in tow. I asked my hubby, Mike, if he ever was involved in a jumper in tow, and he said yes.

We live in MD, but the incident happened in Albuquerque, NM. :S
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

What jump scared you the most out of you?

Lesson(s) learned from it?

I don't have one yet to share, so lets hear yours.

Jump number 80, at 900ft I was flying in the pattern close to other canopy at pretty much the same speed, so I decided that I'll drop under the other because she was even less experienced than I was (If I remember right, she had something like 40-50 jumps at the time).

Thought she would be less nervous in the pattern with more separation and yanked a hard 360, resulting in a stall on half of the canopy and multiple linetwists. Got out of the twists at 300ft.

Lessons learned?

Don't do stuff you haven't tried before with a canopy your not familiar with under 2000ft.