catfishhunter

Everyone's a comedian......

So I ask this kid with a GoPro strapped in the middle of his chest how many jumps he has. says 70 so I ask him if he thinks it's a good idea? His response "everyone's a comedian" wished him well and said to be sure and not start pulling on it if he has to cut away. I think he got really good video of himself when he flared late and went assholes and elbows:S but he'll what do I know I'm just a another comedian..

MAKE EVERY DAY COUNT
Life is Short and we never know how long we are going to have. We must live life to the fullest EVERY DAY. Everything we do should have a greater purpose.

I've got 70 jumps bra! im so on top of my sh!t....

That right there is a situation i have no issue sitting back down and waiting for the next load, letting a JM know whats going on and chill out.

He'll punch his ticket some day....hopefully not in this sport.
Mostly military HALO/HAHO with civiian fun on the side

Hold reserve handle, push the real comedian backwards, while stating..... YOUR GROUNDED!

There fixed it for you.

Back in the day that used to happen if you really fucked, no so much any more and people like this are allowed to do as please and no one dose anything to them, this is why we see this these days.
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

Hold reserve handle, push the real comedian backwards. :P;)

Im kidding im kidding.

It's happened. Guy at my DZ walked up to a friend of his and pulled his reserve handle because the friend was being a dumbass and was going to execute a jump that would have most likely killed him. Pretty sure the guy paid for the repack but he saved the guy from his own stupidity. I think his wording was, "I'd rather you be alive and pissed off at me than you dead and me pissed off at myself."

Hold reserve handle, push the real comedian backwards. :P;)

Im kidding im kidding.

It's happened. Guy at my DZ walked up to a friend of his and pulled his reserve handle because the friend was being a dumbass and was going to execute a jump that would have most likely killed him. Pretty sure the guy paid for the repack but he saved the guy from his own stupidity.

if you don't mind me asking what was the jump supposed to be?

My instructor said I could wear one after jump #100. I think that's fair. I really want one though for ski season to film all the insane crashes I winess! I am fearful of a cam due to a possible horseshoe hangup.

Stand by for a few responses.

Ok, I know I'm gonna get blasted, but I'm going for it anyway. I have 60 jumps and have jumped with my gopro several times, depending on where I am. Some dz's just dont have a policy about jumping with cameras, and neither does USPA, they "recommend" a c license, but do not require it unless filming a student. However the DZ rules always prevail, and I totally support that. I understand all the potential dangers, hang-ups, distractions etc. So if jumping a camera is SO dangerous why doesn't USPA make it a hard fast rule, and not a recommendation?
Please read this as an honest question, and not as a new jumper who thinks he is invincible, I had a canopy tear in two pieces on jump #12, I know how quickly things can go bad.

I actually waited until I had 200 jumps to put on a GoPro, and I'm really glad I did. Would I have survived putting one on at jump #50? Probably. I didn't have my first cutaway until jump 400-something, so I probably would've been fine. But I, like everybody else, assumed I'd just "put it on and forget it's there;" that simply isn't true. It IS a distraction: I've gotten my head stuck in the door more than once when I didn't duck low enough, and tracking feels very different with the added drag and weight on my helmet. I also fiddle with it on the plane to make sure the angle is set up properly, and if I didn't have a very defined routine of handle and gear checks in place from having jumped for a while I could easily forget to do so.

Will you survive jumping a camera earlier than 200 jumps? Odds are pretty good you will. But why add another risk factor when you still don't really know what you're doing? Focus on honing your flying, being aware and intelligent under canopy, and just wait a while before adding that extra distraction. If you fly anything like I did when I had 100 jumps, your footage will likely be a record of your failed docks, going low on formations, and out landings anyway. Patience, young Padawan.

Ok, I know I'm gonna get blasted, but I'm going for it anyway. I have 60 jumps and have jumped with my gopro several times, depending on where I am. Some dz's just dont have a policy about jumping with cameras, and neither does USPA, they "recommend" a c license, but do not require it unless filming a student. However the DZ rules always prevail, and I totally support that. I understand all the potential dangers, hang-ups, distractions etc. So if jumping a camera is SO dangerous why doesn't USPA make it a hard fast rule, and not a recommendation?
Please read this as an honest question, and not as a new jumper who thinks he is invincible, I had a canopy tear in two pieces on jump #12, I know how quickly things can go bad.

Really, at 60 jumps, who or what can you possibly be videoing that it is worth risking your life?

Read DSE's 28 incidents with small format cameras, then think again.

Oh, and are you jumping a sub 100 square foot canopy yet?

Jump more, post less!

>So if jumping a camera is SO dangerous why doesn't USPA make it a hard fast rule,
>and not a recommendation?

Because not enough people have died yet. Give it a few years.

Or a few decades.

Deaths under fully functioning canopies skyrocketed as skydivers increased their wing loadings in the mid 1990s with the move to ZP (tolerant of higher wing loadings in spite of wear).

Fifteen years of fatalities haven't been enough to put wingloading limits in the BSRs although USPA finally started making recommendations.

So your the comedian?

Did you post here just to tell us how big you wang is, and how you know best?

Judging from how you worded your post you are already 100% set on jumping a GoPro and nothing we can post will change that, but here we go anyway. At 60 jumps you are still getting out of your own way, and all of us were the same way at 60 jumps. You are just building the situational awareness and flying skills needed to have a clue of what is going on around you. A camera is an added mental distraction that should be added after your flying is automatic, and you situational awareness is established. None of those things can be said about someone with 60 jumps.

You can't set a camera and forget it, it just doesn't work that way.

Go read the fatality report about the guy with 70 jumps who went in down in South America when something happened under canopy and he likely experinced overload.
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

Maybe we should suggest that noobs with mad skills wear a camera so we can watch the video and discuss the incident better. We can also sell the video and give the proceeds to their loved ones.

Ok kids, don't forget your mini cams. I want to see your mad skills. Comedians love short comedy clips.

But seriously, if we all wear the "black box", it would save a lot of bandwidth in the incidents forum.:|

So if jumping a camera is SO dangerous why doesn't USPA make it a hard fast rule, and not a recommendation?

I assume you realize that the USPA does not have hard and fast rules for many things which are very dangerous.

For example, post-A license, at jump 26, if the winds are gusting at 30mph, and changing direction every 5 seconds, there is no hard and fast rule that you cannot jump.

I've flown a 190 for the past 350 jumps or so -- I could, theoretically, buy a 135 tomorrow and be jumping it this weekend. No rule against that.

Each of these things is, I believe, more dangerous than wearing a camera at 60 jumps. Yet there is no hard and fast rule against them.

So any line of thought that goes: "well, if it were that dangerous, the USPA would have made a rule against it", I do not think will serve you well in this sport.

I understand all the potential dangers, hang-ups, distractions etc. So if jumping a camera is SO dangerous why doesn't USPA make it a hard fast rule, and not a recommendation?

Thanks for the question. And you've already gotten some good replies here.

Surviving in the long run in skydiving is all about risk management. Anything you add to the skydive, from new gear, more people, lower openings, cameras, etc. adds to the risk. The more jumps and experience you have, the more it will mitigate those risks. (Notice the # of jumps and experience are NOT a direct correlation;)).

Are you going to die because you're rockin' a GoPro with 2-digit jump numbers? No. But your chances go up a little. Even with 5K+ jumps, I find my own attention divided when wearing my GP Hero. I consciously work to not be distracted at the wrong time with it. :)
BTW, I had an AFF level 6 walk up wearing a Protec with a GP Hero on it the other day. His 50 jump buddy told him it would be a good idea. His mean old instructor made him change helmets.:D:D

So your the comedian?

Did you post here just to tell us how big you wang is, and how you know best?

No with your sarcastic comments, you must be the comedian....

Like I mentioned, I wasn't making this post to ruffle anyones feathers, and I know I am a total rookie in this sport, and not trying to disrespect the people who have been been jumping for a long time. I know this topic draws a lot of controversy, and was just wondering if it truly is such a dangerous distraction, why there aren't stricter laws. And thanks to those who posted informative responses.

...and as far as my "Wang" is concerned, I have a big truck and motorcycles to compensate for that aspect of my life, I don't think a post on a blog is going to impress anyone :P

So I ask this kid with a GoPro strapped in the middle of his chest how many jumps he has. says 70 so I ask him if he thinks it's a good idea? His response "everyone's a comedian" wished him well and said to be sure and not start pulling on it if he has to cut away. I think he got really good video of himself when he flared late and went assholes and elbows:S but he'll what do I know I'm just a another comedian..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6b_Pd7V92uU&feature=player_embedded

Bet they had more than 70... that coulda been BAD.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Even experienced jumpers seem to be under the impression that a GoPro is no big deal. I asked an LO why one of the jumpers was wearing a GoPro when he only had 40 jumps; I thought 200 was the minimum. Her reply was that "GoPros aren't like that, they don't count."