d123

Wrap lock

Does it really exit? I mean using your regular pro-packing quality that you find at each DZ professionals packers, is it really possible to create a wrap lock?

What the hell are you talking about?

I guess it's something to do with a condom that won't come off. Maybe used glue instead of lube.
Wrap Lock????
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

It only happens when you don't use sufficient tail lube.

I think someone has been blowing large quantities of smoke up thine arse.
“The only fool bigger than the person who knows it all is the person who argues with him.

Stanislaw Jerzy Lec quotes (Polish writer, poet and satirist 1906-1966)

I'm talk about when you wrap the tail over the canopy and fold it few times before you put it on the ground. Is it a chance in frozen hell that the fold will lock on opening making it a cocoon lock?

Like the packed "cocoon" is out of the bag and just the folded wrap prevents the canopy of opening.
Lock, Dock and Two Smoking Barrelrolls!

I'm talk about when you wrap the tail over the canopy and fold it few times before you put it on the ground. Is it a chance in frozen hell that the fold will lock on opening making it a cocoon lock?

Like the packed "cocoon" is out of the bag and just the folded wrap prevents the canopy of opening.

Maybe if you accidentally put a few staples in the fold before you lay it down :)
__

My mighty steed

Also, holding the rolls together (and folds for that matter) with 2 passes of supertack seems to delay the opening until they're removed.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Now we have "cocoon lock"?

Gets more interesting all the time.
Got more unusual names?
:D:D:D

Bag Wrap - Deployment bag stays wrapped around the parachute

PC Drag - PC follows behind you being dragged along

Candy Cane - when colored strings get twisted around each other (CrW knows about this)

Bad Boobies (Store-bought) - when a bubble of canopy on one side of the pinch-off is larger than the bubble on the other side

Slave Cylinder Leak - when the braking system goes mushy on one side

Flaming Monstrosity- when pyro goes bad

Now we have "cocoon lock"?

Gets more interesting all the time.
Got more unusual names?
:D:D:D

Bag Wrap - Deployment bag stays wrapped around the parachute

PC Drag - PC follows behind you being dragged along

Candy Cane - when colored strings get twisted around each other (CrW knows about this)

Bad Boobies (Store-bought) - when a bubble of canopy on one side of the pinch-off is larger than the bubble on the other side

Slave Cylinder Leak - when the braking system goes mushy on one side

Flaming Monstrosity- when pyro goes bad

And all of the above can be fixed or prevented with a bottle of un-fuck.
:P
Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

And all of the above can be fixed or prevented with a bottle of un-fuck.
:P
Sparky

Can that be used for non-skydiving related issues?

Sure! It even comes with a small bottle of tail lube!

So, it's happening again. Here's the background. I'm working on this dz as a packer in order to stay in skydiving. I guess skydiving is my drug. However, this dz owner is a source of drama around dz. Most of the time, inside him, the love of $ is more powerful than the voice of reaason. He puts students out for AFF in high winds - who get injured - he hires new instructors with questionable judgement (one new guy droped the drouge in a cessna and was hold by an experiment instructor inside the plane and the guy almost get out of the situation by blaming the packers, the camera man are constantly reporting that he is turning on one side and that they have to hold the hand of the customer). This guys is like his protege (and he comes from a rich background).
Anyway, we have this reporting of "wrap lock" (which I think it's an inveted malfunction). This "wrap lock" (which we never see on video, or any proof that exists) happens only to him or the students that jump with him. The maximum rate of occurance is 3 by day (to the same person). For almost one month he was not at the dz because of some BS that eventually back fired to him. All that time there was no "wrap lock". Now he's back and "wrap lock" it's back.

I'm getting tired of this lie. I think skydiving is not the place to play games that breaks people confidence and this really iritates me.

I want to prove once and for all that there is no "wrap lock" and so to expose the inventor of the thingy.

My plan, which I want to discuss with you, is as follow:
- Measure the force (at the patch) that it takes to unwrap the wraped parachutte in 10 samples of normal packed parachutes by different packers.
- Progressivly add eleastics (or duct tape bands over the line where it wraps) and measure the force again (which will be higher)
- Progressively jump the packed job with elastics and open at terminal at a high altitude to see if the "wrap lock" occours.

I'm also thinking of experimeting on ground by using the blast a cessna 206 has and measure the air speed to see how big is.

I'm also considering giving this myth to mythbasters and see what they can come up with.
Lock, Dock and Two Smoking Barrelrolls!

I overheard a story at the DZ the other weekend from someone saying he wrapped the tail pretty tight on one of his pack jobs. When he looked up expecting a snivel he saw the tail still wrapped up. It cleared shortly after, but he made it sound like it was there long enough to make him do a double-take.

Just tell him the wrap lock is probably being caused by the G force of the right hand side slip stirrup spin that he constantly seems to be pulling in...you can correct that by packing left handed from now on.

But it costs extra...;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Just tell him the wrap lock is probably being caused by the G force of the right hand side slip stirrup spin that he constantly seems to be pulling in...you can correct that by packing left handed from now on.

But it costs extra...;)

You made me realize, the guy needs a link to the thread about the special ops Marcinko guy. Marcinko knows all about weird (but imaginary) things that can happen to canopies!

I have actually experinced wrap lock myself with one of the canopies I used to own.

It was a PISA Hornet 170, the canopy was made of the tacky gelvanor south african ZP, and the slide had the larger size brass grommets.

It was out of trim and opened hard so for a while I was rolling the some of the nose cells, tucking them in to the two center nose cells, and rolling the shit out of the tail.

I had several instances with subterminal openings where the canopy would come out of the bag, get to line stretch but would be hanging above me with the tail still rolled like it was back on the packing mat.

I would then have to pull apart the risers to get the tail to unwrap to clear the "wrap lock" streamer.

I stopped wraping the tail as much and the problem went away. :ph34r:

I think the wrap lock was a combination of sticky gelvanor zip, larger slider grommets that I suspect were keeping the wrapped tail locked up, and subterminal openings without enough initial drag to peel the wrapped tail apart.

"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P