100LL

Hit a Wall ( figuratively)

So ive got 11 jumps under my belt, and the last time out i had the greatest time. That was about a month ago, since then i get VERY nervous and worried before i go to jump, to the point that i have not gone to the DZ :$

Not sure what this is all about, i should be over this feeling, but it has been bothering me, anyone have any experience with this or ideas on getting over it?

In my heart i wanna go jump because i know once i get out there i will have so much fun.... this is aggravating!! :(

talk to some jumpers you look up to and talk about your fears with them, the best would be your past instructors.

Maybe its time for a recurrency class/jump and get back on the horse so to speak.

What exactly are you nervous about, everyone is nervous to a degree......

At least part of this is probably about currency, or rather lack of it. The longer you leave it between jumps the less natural and more scary it can become.

The good news? After the next jump you will probably be right back in the saddle and back to being comfortable about jumping.

Take some time with an instructor to review your EPs, gear checks etc and this should help you feel more in control of the situation.

Good luck. Breathe. Relax.

As far as the nervousness i have no idea where it's coming from, i used to have no problem with it, i mean besides the normal anxiety when learning.

I used to have some friends that i jumped with, but since they have quit trying for their licenses im the only one left so perhaps that has something to do with it, maybe im just a whore for peer pressure or something B|

I had the same transition period between jumps ~12-19...What it boiled down to for me was as I continued on in my education and became more aware about the gear I was jumping, the physics involved, others around me, etc. I became more and more aware of how many ways things could go wrong. This put me in a fairly frightening position for a while, but as I learned and became more confident in my abilities and the gear I was jumping the fears were allayed somewhat. I'm definitely not advocating a loss of fear, if you lose that in this sport I would consider you ignorant in the extreme or possibly insane. :S But I do think it will pass if you continue jumping and keep your instructors close at hand for all your questions

Find your peace, though the world around you burns

I get nervous the whole three hour drive to my DZ. I think being scared is natural. I was so scared on the day of my first AFF jump that I left! But I came back two weeks later and jumped and now I'm hooked. Will be doing two more levels on Saturday.

u werent flying, u were falling with style

Christian,
I can tell you w/certainty that the longer you let this go on. The more of a hold it will have over you. Fear & being a student jumper go hand in hand. You need to believe that it's a phase we all go through. You need to push through it. It will get easier again. If you need/want a recurrency jump? Do it. If allowed, you could do a no-(extra)pressure solo jump. Do that instead if you prefer. The main thing is to set a date & jump again.

By allowing pre-jump jitters to make you turn your car away from the DZ a few times. You've allowed those butterflies to get huge. One sunny Saturday w/four or more jumps should set you straight again. Enjoy the journey, warts & all.

Thanks for the replies, ill just suck it up and get out there.

its true what you said about letting the more intimate knowledge of the sport get to me, i need to let it be more fun and not have as much anxiety about how i will perform, part of the stress is that i had planned to be licensed by the end of the season

You actually shouldn't be over it by now, and you SHOULD BE VERY NERVOUS before each jump! I do see a lot of jumpers that seem to have almost no fear right off student status and that has always bothered me a little bit. I've also seen a lot of those same jumpers hit a wall of fear later on after they had their first close call. One of them didn't live to learn a lesson.

It's good that you have some fear, it at least means you're aware that bad shit can happen, and that's more than you can say for a lot of people in the sport. Use the fear to make yourself more prepared and take it one jump at a time.

The windtunnel is a great recommendation if you have access to one and some cash.

Between 50 and 200 jumps I did a lot of windtunnel time.

In my opinion it was the perfect timing in my jumping progression. It gave me confidence, improved my learning curve, let me focus more on enjoying skydiving and less on actively thinking about every movement in my body flight.
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

A wind tunnel would be awesome, i wish there were one closer to me. I recently got over my anxiety with the door, and seem to have much more fun standing out on the step getting ready to go

Its good to hear that im not the only one who has had this issue, i was starting to wonder because a lot of other jumpers, even some of the students seem to be so nonchalant about the whole thing

even some of the students seem to be so nonchalant about the whole thing

What you are looking at in most cases is a carefully constructed front.

Showing fear in front of others is not something macho men are able to do.
My computer beat me at chess, It was no match for me at kickboxing....

Its good to hear that im not the only one who has had this issue, i was starting to wonder because a lot of other jumpers, even some of the students seem to be so nonchalant about the whole thing

Exactly this was a key factor to my fear too! Every other student was shit hot, had a lot more jumping than I did, because I had to gather enough courage to actually enter the plane - They just strawled along.

I had the fear all the way up in the air plane, and then, when we reached altitude and I could exit, I would be relaxed again, and laughing at the fun, the skydiving was giving me.

That was until I had two mals in a row. Then I was both scared all the way up. And then - god help me - all the way down again, in my canopy, afraid it would mal, while below safe altitude for me to use the reserve.

This went on for a while, and I have no idea what exactly happend, but a few jumps before I reached my C license, I had to do 6 jumps in a weekend, in order to get licensed before a trip to Czech republique for a week of jumping.

Those six jumps in the weekend set me straight! I actually ended up enjoying the whole thing, and could open the door and spot in for both me and the tandems.. And since then, I have enjoyed my jumps more.

In all fairness, I should say, that I still can feel anxiety on my way down to the runway or while gearing up. I think it's natural and a part of being aware of the dangers of this sport. But I wouldn't miss out! B|
Safety third!