DontfallOff

Best Short Runway Jump Plane

>Sounds like everyone loves the Porter

Except 4 and 8 way teams, and video people, and tandem masters, and AFF-JM's . . . .

Teams don't like them because they are right side exit, so their practice jumps don't correlate as well to what they will have to do in competition, correct?

I jumped one at Kapowsin for quite a while. It had a bench on the left side that made it not as bad for crowding as it is without a bench (still more uncomfortable than a Caravan, etc.) and it had a massive-huge step lower than the door that made launching an 8 way easy. That porch like step and low exit speed are really great for weekend warrior fun jumpers.

They are not at all easy to move about in them, so I can see how tandem isn't so convenient, but AFF should be really easy - assuming a huge step like Kapowsiin's had. I did jump one that had a tiny step that wasn't much lower than the door, that sucked.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Turbo Finist SMG-92. 10 People to 15,000ft in 13 mins, STOL aircraft.

This is a great plane with a huge door. Launching big chunks from it was never a problem.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/3c/Technoavia_smg-92_turbo_finist_ha-ydf_at_kemble_arp.jpg

I wonder if there are a lot of these available, and if they are legal to fly in the US?
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

>Teams don't like them because they are right side exit, so their practice jumps
>don't correlate as well to what they will have to do in competition, correct?

Partly - and exits are tougher out of the smaller door with the wing in the way.

They don't always have to change for competition, though. During one of the world meets they did 4-way out of a Porter, and teams trained for Porter exits all year. I can still remember the complaining.

>but AFF should be really easy

I actually don't mind the exit for AFF; I just dislike all the contortions in the cabin needed to pin check the rig, get the radios on etc. Same with tandem. It's easy once your feet are on the edge.

Partly - and exits are tougher out of the smaller door with the wing in the way.

Is that for Porters with the crummy or no step? I remember being able to get 4 completely out, all standing easily on the huge step that was so far below the door edge. It was so far below the door, that I can't imagine the wing being a problem. I thought such a porch of a step was std for Poters used as jump planes, but was so surprised to see it was not. You could have a family reunion on the porch of Kapowsin's Porter.

>Sounds like everyone loves the Porter

Except 4 and 8 way teams, and video people, and tandem masters, and AFF-JM's . . . .

Hey we were launching 4 ways out of each side of ours with a video guy sitting in the crotch of the strut on each side... Jim Perry put a huge "porch" omn each side that was 42" long by 12" wide:)

with a video guy sitting in the crotch of the strut

I really loved the position forward of the strut. It was fun to climb out there, then dive below the strut...good times!

with a video guy sitting in the crotch of the strut

I really loved the position forward of the strut. It was fun to climb out there, then dive below the strut...good times!

off topic but:

In the old (piston) Beaver that they used to have at GCSPC Bardstown, that used to be the best spot as well. The first person out would climb over the strut and stand on the footpegs the right seat pilot would have used to get into the cockpit. The next person out would crouch "in the V" and the rest of the launch would climb out.

...until one day the guy "in front of the strut" had an early pilot chute depolyment. MIRACULOUSLY, in one of those events that postitively CONVINCES me that God is a skydiver, the guy climbing out after him catches the pilot chute, and hands it back through the V to the guy in front of the strut! He bailed off, had a normal deployment, and all was well.

Needless to say, after that, nobody was allowed to climb through the strut anymore.

Elvisio "way before my time" Rodriguez

Putting two tandems in a 182 to 9k has a nice revenue stream.

Tough call.

The best advice I've heard along these lines was if you were running two 182s non stop all day and were thinking about needing a third, then you *might* be ready for a turbine. Otherwise take $10k, put it in a pile and light it on fire so you can save yourself the trouble for the summer.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

So is there an aircraft that is as cheap as a 182 but that can be run from a very short runway? The 182 has been working for us so far but with the runway being cut short like it is likely to be, we're going to need something.

Are there mods that can be done to a 182 that can make it get off the ground in a much much shorter distance? Increased HP, STOL kit etc?

Forest McBride is the go-to guy when it comes to putting every "climb fast" mod available on a 182. Last one of his 182s I was near had the STOL kit, flap gap seals, the 300hp motor and speed brakes (to bring it down faster for turn arounds) on a narrow body 182 (for weight and drag).

There may have been more mods, but I don't know what they are.

No need to PM. Last I heard he was at SD Caddo Mills in Texas, but I'm not sure he is still there. I haven't actually talked to him in person in a few years. I don't have much more than that, except to e-mail SD I-35 in Texas, they may have some contact info...same with SD Dallas.

What Winsor said (about the Caribou). Saw one hauling demo jumpers at the Salinas CA airshow years ago. It was flying light but the TO roll was so incredibly short it made my jaw drop. Just amazing. It had about 10 kts of helpful headwind which just made it look even more amazing.

2018 marks half a century as a skydiver. Trained by the late Perry Stevens D-51 in 1968.

No other options nearby - the idea of adding some runway to the other end has been considered, but there are powerlines at that end of the runway that need to be avoided, extending the runway at that end would mean we need a plane that has a much steeper take-off angle anyway. We're in discussion with the company as to how to minimise impacts for everybody, right now having some kind of STOL plane would present the lowest impact option for every body involved, providing it fits the budget and can operate in the shorter runway while the company proceeds with their timelines and while we wait to have the club either moved, or modified to allow it to work with the adjusted access

"Are there mods that can be done to a 182 that can make it get off the ground in a much much shorter distance? Increased HP, STOL kit etc? "

Yes, there are.

PPonk convertion - 275 HP at $25.000 (best deal)
Texas Skyways -285 HP or 300 HP from $45.000
FAT supercharger - $25.000 installed
3 blade prop from $7.500 to $12.000 (MT Prop)
Wing Xstol kit - $5.200
Sportman Stol kit -$1.500
Flap Gap Seals - $480
Precision Flight speed brakes - salvage price
Skyote speed breakes - priceless

Peterson King Katmai - the ultimate C-182 convertion: www.katmai-260se.com/documents/Katmai.pdf

No Drogue, no JUMP!!

I am hoping to get my Cessna U206 with the PT6-20 up someday.
I operate the piston powered versions with Skydivers out of a 1400 ft grass strip, 880msl and use only 700 - 900ft to break ground.
Performance 3 blade props
Tuned 520 / 550s
Sportsman + WingX

My PT6 206 with the STOL wing mods, No gap seals, and using 30 flaps should fing launch 6 jumpers in 600ft and with reverse use 400 empty. Not flying yet so Im just some jumper with dreams....